🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Test work
Page options
maksimovic-sava
Community Member

Test work

Hello to all people that work hard 🙂
Because many clients that ask for test work, is it ok to send a note at the end of  each proposal.

"Please note:

All the required test  work will be sent in lower resolution for web preview, I don't send high res photos/images without UpWork contract and unless job is guaranteed and payment method verified!

Thank you for understanding!

" ?
Does it looks rude if I send that message at the end of proposal?

Thank you for any answer!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pudingstudio
Community Member

Don't send any work without a contract.
Don't do unpaid test jobs.

If you do the unpaid work, you'd be hurting yourself and fellow freelancers (also, it's not allowed).

Best you can do is to flag the client for asking for a free work.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
pudingstudio
Community Member

Don't send any work without a contract.
Don't do unpaid test jobs.

If you do the unpaid work, you'd be hurting yourself and fellow freelancers (also, it's not allowed).

Best you can do is to flag the client for asking for a free work.

Ok, thank you very much for answer! 🙂

prestonhunter
Community Member

I don't include any kind of note like that.

How does it hurt you if you DON'T include a note like that?

It costs you nothing more if a client contacts you, and asks for test work. At that point, you have already paid your connects.

I want to engage the clients. EVEN THE ONES who might think about asking for test work. When they talk to me, and see the way that I understand their project, and can help them out, they will be eager to hire me. Even if it means paying me for test work.

joansands
Community Member

Sava - It is against Upwork's terms for a client to ask for free work.

Yes i know, that's why i'm looking how to solve that when I'm receiving offers and they are requesting for test work... not just to reject them.
Somehow to explain them that they need to put UpWork contract even for test work...

re: "Somehow to explain them that they need to put UpWork contract even for test work..."

Okay... But what if I'm a really nice guy. And a nice client. And I never cheat anybody.

(That's MOST of Upwork clients, by the way.)

And the I post a job, and you send me a proposal warning me not to ask for free work. I wasn't planning to! But now maybe I think you're just ornery... Maybe better to skip this guy...

Sava - If a potential client asks me to do a test - for free - I point out that a client asking for free work is against Upwork's terms of service. Sometimes they just don't know that. Sometimes they are trying to get away with scamming you. I offer to do a small test for a small fee. You find out the kind of client they are by their response.

Joan S - Thank you for help!