🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Typical hourly rates - Int. Graphic Designer
Page options
flinn_terri
Community Member

Typical hourly rates - Int. Graphic Designer

What do Intermediate Graphic Designers typically charge? The proposal budgets all seem really low and I'm wondering if my hourly rate is too hight?

11 REPLIES 11
voskerchian
Community Member

Hi Terri,

I don't work in your field but I guess it's a little high for someone who doesn't have any review here on UW. You can browse other freelancers working in your field and see what they charge for their work in avg.
I would also advise on changing your overview, feels like Terri is someone else, not you. It's very important to make a contact with potential clients. Don't tell them a story of a Terri who is an experienced graphic designer and did many things, tell them what a great job you can do for them.
Also, consider adding some portfolio items, having so much experience as it's told in your overview, you should have a lot of examples to show clients.

Hope this helps!

Very helpful, thanks so much.

silw
Community Member

your rate isn't high, but your profile gives no chance for a client to judge if you are worth the investment.

Keep in mind that a lot of clients searching on upwork have little to no idea about creative fields and try to go for the cheapest option possible.

there are normal clients, but the majority isn't. don't expect too much on upwork.

flinn_terri
Community Member

Thanks, definitely sounds like I need to change my bio and add my portfolio there, but I'm not really willing to lower my rate just to get work, it's not worth it. 

Your PHOTOGRAPHY link on your website gives me "Sorry, you are not allowed to preview drafts."  

That could appear to someone looking to hire you that you do not pay attention to detail.

One the plus side, your portfolio on the site looks great - maybe bring that to the porfolio section on UpWork as well, or at least 1 or 2 pieces - people may not put in the extra effort going off UpWork to take a look.

Thanks so much for the feedback, appreciated!

921cb0a0
Community Member

Freelance graphic design rates are largely driven by whether or not you are limited to providing design services yourself. You can advance your freelance career if you include services similar to what an art director or creative director does. To improve your rates as a freelance graphic designer consider expanding into strategic and managerial activities.

Your rate as a freelance graphic designer should be at least $66 on an hourly basis if you live in the U.S. and have 7-10 years of experience. Your minimum day rate should be $528.

If your rate is lower than this, you may be undercutting the market or bearing some employment costs yourself that should be passed on to your clients.

Christopher:
I do not doubt that you are worth $66/hour. Or perhaps even more. (Your hourly rate is $300/hr.)

But not every freelancer is as talented as you are. In fact, some freelancers who try to ply their trade here are nowhere near as talented or as professional or as productive as you are, and they should not be paid as much as you get paid.

I don't really think there is any particular rate that graphic designers "should" get paid. They should charge what the market will bear.

If a graphic designer's talent and reputation and work experience is such that he is in demand, then he really should charge more than those can not say the same.

elyannie
Community Member

Generally speaking you can break hourly pricing down as:

$10 - $30 = Entry Level

$30 - $60 = Intermediate

$60 & above = Expert

aarolev
Community Member

Even though Im an expert with tons of varied experience, I consider myself Entry level on UpWork, and start my rates low low low, until I establish a reputation.
This is the same strategy I used on my day-job as freelancing Lasercutting Guru.
I entered my local market place with slightly below market prices, to attract new clientele.
Then after they see how good I am they pay whatever I ask, no questions asked.
That doesnt mean I spank them, as Im not a money grabbing so and so, yet I always provide value,
and give more than I receive.
Will this strategy succeed online? Ive no idea, all this is brand new to me!!

msb_311081
Community Member

Itis very to skill for a charge. I think I give 8 per h, because I am Bangladesh on 4 reviews now