🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Un ethical job posting
Page options
jules_durham
Community Member

Un ethical job posting

Hi all,

I'm new to Upwork, but was pretty horrified to come across a job posting... "Image manipulator required, to make people look fatter and thinner, before and after images for a weight loss brand"

How is this possible? Is there no vetting of jobs posted?

14 REPLIES 14
luce-neidert
Community Member

Hi Julian,

All you have to do is flag the offer (click on the green flag on the job offer) and Upwork will see what it should do about it. 

My specialty is to flag jobs where someone wants an article to be "rewritten", or to write a review on Amazon or on other site... 

There are all sort of clients here, and some don't seem to have the same ethics as you and me.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Julian, this does not appear to violate any Upwork TOS.

It would therefore be wrong for you to flag it or complain about it.

If a job violates your own personal beliefs, then don't apply for it. But your own personal beliefs are not a reason for removing job postings.

Preston, that's why I use the term unethical. I may not violate the TOS, but it's still wrong! It's called the 'grey' area, not everything is black and white.

I think you'll find that the majority would feel this is unacceptable.

Yes. I agree.

So it is legitimate to discuss this topic in the Forum. It is fine to suggest that Upwork should add a new prohibition, such as a prohibition against photo manipulation of people in specific circumstances... Or a prohibition against jobs that involve advertising alcohol. Or pork. There are many potential new prohibitions.

All I am saying is that Upwork users need to have these discussions in the correct place. If a job posting strikes you as unethical but is not prohibited by Upwork, then definitely we should not impose our personal beliefs on other freelancers or tie up limited Upwork resources by flagging it. We should discuss it in the Forum and ask for a change to the TOS.

Preston, you're missing the point. 

So a weight loss clinic wants their before and after pictures manipulating. "Look how fat I was when I started the programme, Wow, look how much weight I lost on the programme 12 weeks later." It's fraud, it's not true, it's false advertising and would be pulled by the ASA.

Do you not see?

Do you think it is ok to post jobs wanting to retouch birth certificated, manipulate a drivers license or forge a passport.

That's why there SHOULD be the facility to report an unethical job posting.

I'll leave it there.

@Julian D wrote:

Preston, you're missing the point. 

So a weight loss clinic wants their before and after pictures manipulating. "Look how fat I was when I started the programme, Wow, look how much weight I lost on the programme 12 weeks later." It's fraud, it's not true, it's false advertising and would be pulled by the ASA.

Do you not see?

Do you think it is ok to post jobs wanting to retouch birth certificated, manipulate a drivers license or forge a passport.

That's why there SHOULD be the facility to report an unethical job posting.

I'll leave it there.

In this case, it would be an absolutely unethical lie!

@Julian D wrote:

No, because that is illegal, not unethical.

OMG Petra, I think you're missing the point too...

@Julian D wrote:
OMG Petra, I think you're missing the point too...

Well, one of us is.

Upwork has terms of service which do not include "unethical" - "questionable" - "unfair" - "not politically correct" - "not adhering to some taste, religious belief, ethical standard, cultural norm, etc etc etc."

If you encounter job posts that violate the terms of service, flag them.

If your encounter job posts which you consider "unethical" but which do not violate the terms of service, roll your eyes and move on.

BTW Preston, Alcohol and pork don't come into it - that's just silly.

Hi Julian, Obviously you are right with your original post, i am afraid sometimes it seems on the forum that "TOS" is used ahead of what should be plain common sense.

Phew! Yes Simon, some should take the blinkers off! We seem to be in the minority of the common sense people.

Is removing warts ethical? Or making some TV personality's backside bigger, is it ethical? Touching up? Adding hair? Adding trees and making their property pictures pop? Adding blue sky to England? Using Photoshop? Wearing colored lens? Make up?

What is it you don’t understand about false representation? False advertising? Etc etc?