🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Voiceovers - be wary of postings asking f...
Page options
jdeforest
Community Member

Voiceovers - be wary of postings asking for sample of their script?

Hi all,

I'm new to the site. I've noticed the odd job posting for voiceover work that asks for each applicant to include an audio sample of you reading a portion of the client's script. This struck me as odd. I gladly offer to send a client a sample of anything other than their script, but anything else would feel as though I've already started the job for free.

I'm sure we're all here to get paid for our skills. Has anyone had their work stolen, for lack of a better word, and am I wrong in being wary about this?

Thanks for any input.

5 REPLIES 5
tgstudio
Community Member

You have every right to be wary of a request like that. More than likely they are trying to get their project done for free.

I personally have not had my work stolen from me but I have been a freelancer for a very long time. I do not send free samples. If a potential client wants a specific sample they would need to pay me for my time. 

pammysue
Community Member

If you believe it might help secure the job, include an excerpt of their script, therefore it is incomplete and not usable. Also, you might consider adding another voice track into the recording background such as "This is a demo by....." that won't terribly distract from your work. An above board client won't mind and a dishonest client cannot get your work for free. 

Best of luck!

cashmorevoice
Community Member

I've beed doing Voice Over work on Upwork for almost a year and have never been concened about doing a sample of the script. Most other "Pay to Play" websites will ask for an audition based on their script so this isn't uncommon in the industry. If you are concened about your work being stolen, you could do just a portion or the script or add a "watermark" of a quiet chrip in the back groud that doesn't take away from your performance, but wouldn't be usable. It will also save you time if you get the gig because you can just pull that off.

Hope that helps!
Elaine

r2streu
Community Member

I'm a little late to this particular party, but:

don't worry about it. It's fairly reasonable -- and common! -- for VO clients to ask for an audition with their script. MOST clients know enough to only ask you to send a portion, but if they don't, simply send a portion of it anyway. Clients like hearing how it will sound before making a final decision. You don't have to give them the whole thing, but give them enough to make an informed decision on it. 

Only once, through a different site, have I felt that the client was attempting to take advantage of the audition process in this way, and once I got that feeling, I ended contact. No hard feelings, just decided it was no longer worth my time and effort. 

But all that said, script auditioning is part of the process, and an accepted practice almost universally among VO talent and clients. 

phoenixwebdesign
Community Member

Hey Jason!

Potential clients do ask for a custom demos of their scripta so that they can hear your lovely tones and how you may or may not fit their project and needs.  

Not all "pay to play" sites ask for an "audition" but for the more professional and experienced clients auditioning is a must so they can find quality talent.  They want to find the best talent for their money just as much as you want to find the best client who will actually pay your rates.

Maybe this may help you:  For "pay to play" requests for custom demos, what I do is add a click track and watermark to the work, leave out a lot of the text plus only give max 30 seconds (most professional producers will not listen past 10 secs, if that, as they are too busy. Authors are the exclusion) For audio books, I usually do all of the above and make it a 1 min track.

One other thing, if the client is looking for cheap work below your scale, and we've all come across them, you may want to steer clear of them.  I often find that the "low ballers" are the most work and most time wasters in general.  I personally will not give them a custom demo without payment for the same reason you are worried about it. Hint: asking for them to pay for the demo usually helps weed them out too.  Save yourself the lost production time and hassels. Remember, Time is money and You are Valuable.  It's Your business. Run it the way You see fit and don't quit! 

Cheers