🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Watered down MEP/Architecture Fees
Page options
lielec11
Community Member

Watered down MEP/Architecture Fees

I've noticed similar threads in other sectors but have yet to see it be discussed for the architecture/MEP consulting jobs that get posted here. 

NOTE: I am using the Middle East (ME) as an example based on what I see personally.

When a client lists a job as $$$ and indicates they're looking for an expert, then STILL choose the lesser qaulity ME designer, well that doesn't make sense to me. Why indicate you're looking for someone highly skilled in a certain field who has the experience and most likely a college degree from a credible university, and then choose to go with someone who is asking for pennies on the dollar?

I work in a field that is highly technical with large ramifications if designed improperly. It's not "oh shoot, now we have to debug the code again, darn..." it's more like, "oh crap, the building may collapse". I am very frustrated when someone from the ME get's a architectural or MEP design job for a client in the USA. How are they supposed to know the codes?! How does someone who lives on the other side of the work know the building codes in the USA, or a a specific state or city level?! 

I worked hard for my degree. I have years of experience working on projects all over the country. Yet someone from ME can write in their profile "licensed engineer" or "licensed architect"? Says who? The guy down the street from you? It is infuriating how a job that my industry would pay $20,000 for in the real world gets watered down to maybe $100 on UpWork because of the low level talen that bids on these jobs. 

Does anyone else who works in the same industry as me have any ideas how to prove to clients that your quality is worth the price? I'm tired of being unddercut and outbid by lower quality "designers" from the ME who think they understand how to design buildings based on American building code.

4 REPLIES 4
david_gregory
Community Member

@Ryan V wrote:

When a client lists a job as $$$ and indicates they're looking for an expert, then STILL choose the lesser qaulity ME designer, well that doesn't make sense to me. Why indicate you're looking for someone highly skilled in a certain field who has the experience and most likely a college degree from a credible university, and then choose to go with someone who is asking for pennies on the dollar?

I'm just wondering how you know that the hired contractor is not qualified or of lesser quality? Someone can live in other places than the US and still be qualified to do a job.

d_dunsmore
Community Member

As an Architect licensed in a specific state. Architect jobs should be by state. I see they now have an option for the US only.

I agree with you totally. The fees these people offer along with the information given is ridiculous.

Obviously architects in the ME are only fit to design mud huts and tents. They couldn't possibly design anything beyond that.....

dubai_burj_khalifa

ca5a0113
Community Member

I'm sorry but the work you see there is done mostly by foreign firms in the UK and US. That is not to say that Architects from the middle east are not competent, but this picture is not helping you make the point.

In most of these projects the governments of these countries hire overseas firms to design the work, and do the most technical parts of the engineering and construction, but reserve some portion of the scope for local firms. So some of the drafting may have been done locally, but the bulk of the work in not local.