🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Web design skills
Page options
creative_v7
Community Member

Web design skills

Hello! 🙂 I'm new to Upwork.

So I've been working as a web designer for about a year now. I'm familiar with designing websites and I use Adobe XD. What I usually provide the client with is the source file in xd and pdf and png files.

After I moved to Upwork I noticed that there are many people who need a ui/ux designer for their websites. Even though I can design great websites I'm not familiar with ui/ux and the different deliverables like user journeys and flows.

Basically I've been wondering if it is necessary to understand all of these or not while being a web designer.

I'd really appreciate your advice on that because I really hesitate.

2 REPLIES 2
pudingstudio
Community Member

Vesela Z wrote:

Hello! 🙂 I'm new to Upwork.

So I've been working as a web designer for about a year now. I'm familiar with designing websites and I use Adobe XD. What I usually provide the client with is the source file in xd and pdf and png files.

After I moved to Upwork I noticed that there are many people who need a ui/ux designer for their websites. Even though I can design great websites I'm not familiar with ui/ux and the different deliverables like user journeys and flows.

Basically I've been wondering if it is necessary to understand all of these or not while being a web designer.

I'd really appreciate your advice on that because I really hesitate.

Nothing is necessary.
Represent yourself, it's all you. What you can do, what you do do.

You are looking for a job posts which are just perfect for YOU. When you encounter such post, then you send your proposal.

Obviously, you CAN apply to a job which isn't (right for you). You may even 'get' that job.

Make sure that you're clear about deliverables so that you're sure you can produce what you've agreed with your client.

No benefit in making promises on stuff you can't deliver. Which is what it comes down to - what you agree with your client, that is supposed to be done.

In the meantime, develop more skils and grow.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Vesela:

The more things that freelancers claim to know on their profile, the less likely I am to hire them.

As a client, I want to hire freelancers who do a great job for me.

So if somebody is working as a baker, photographer, medical doctor, SEO expert and graphic designer... the implication - by definition - is that they are mediocre at all of these things.

I would rather hire somebody who just specializes in graphic design - and even better - in one specific category of graphic design.

A "Jack of all trades" is master of none.