🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » What kind of file should I be receiving for v...
Page options
Community Member

What kind of file should I be receiving for vector artwork?

Hi, I am very new to upwork and hiring for freelance.

Recently, I submitted a project request for original artwork of a certain design to be printed on T-shirts etc.

In my project description, I ask for vector file (I actually just copied what other people posted as their project description, LOL).

My freelance Designer gave me a .ai file (Adobe Illustrator), though I don't use AI, I have Photoshop.

Can you open .ai in Photoshop without losing quality?

At the end of the project, what kind of file type/s should you be getting? It shouldn't be just some png or jpg right?

Thanks in advance

15 REPLIES 15
mariawicz5
Community Member

For one, you shouldn't just be copy/pasting other people's posts without doing some research into your specific needs. This can create issues for both you and your freelancer.

An .ai file is a vector file that is opened with Adobe Illustrator. I do not suggest opening this file in PS since PS is a raster program and Illustrator is a vector program. 

You can also reuqest .eps files which are vector files that work for t-shirt printing. If you're printing on t-shirts, vector is the best since it doesn't lose resolution.

Hi Maria,

So if I need to adjust the image width and height to fit my product, I will need Adobe Illustrator? 

Photoshop wont work?

mtngigi
Community Member

@Wei Kiang T wrote:

Hi Maria,

So if I need to adjust the image width and height to fit my product, I will need Adobe Illustrator? 

Photoshop wont work?

What you can do is specify to whomever is producing your t-shirts the size/dimensions you want to see the artwork to be. The printer will be able to accomplish that using your supplied vector file.

And no, Photoshop won't work.

Community Member

Hmm, the issue is I won't just use on T-Shirt, but also phone cases and coffee mugs.

I would like to understand if Adobe Illustrator is the only way to edit image dimension without affecting quality.

mtngigi
Community Member

@Wei Kiang T wrote:

Hmm, the issue is I won't just use on T-Shirt, but also phone cases and coffee mugs.

I would like to understand if Adobe Illustrator is the only way to edit image dimension without affecting quality.

Those kinds of products also (usually) require vector files. If you convert your vector file to a raster file using Photoshop (which you can certainly do), printers will tell you that they cannot work with your raster file.

Again, any printer producting those kinds of promotional products will only require you to send your vector file.They will be able to reduce or enlarge as need be.

Make a few phone calls to companies who produce promotional products and t-shirts. Look at the specs on websites where you can upload your artwork. This is one way you can learn about the types of files they need to produce your product.

Community Member

Oh sorry if I’m not clear, but I’m not using any printer company.

Mine is an online store and I use fulfillment Print-on-demand apps. I basically upload the image onto T-shirt and Mugs and sell them online. Hence I must have the right dimension prepared for each product.

So on my part, image resolution and dimensions is important for me.

i just need to know if I must use AI to adjust image dimension without affecting quality. No other software will help?

Your freelancer has given you the right file. To modify any decent vector file (AI, EPS, PDF) and save a vector output, you'd need software that's primarily working with vector images, and that's not Photoshop.

However, if you're using print on demand, in my experience most of those require JPG or PNG exported in specific sizes - which you can totally do from Photoshop. I'd go with PNG - read up on the sizes and resolutions required by each site, and make sure you don't resize the file once you've opened it - rasterise only once, when opening the AI, by giving the file the correct dimensions and resolution. Save as PNG, close, open the AI again for the next size/product.

And if some of the apps/sites want vector files (PDF, AI), just send them yours as it is and request a preview of the product for size - they'll scale it for you.

So to make sure I understand correctly, I have to take the ai files provided by my designer, open in AI or any Vector Software to alter the dimension to fit my POD products, then open in Photoshop and save as PNG/JPG.

Yes?

silw
Community Member

How will you judge the freelancers work if you have close to no knowledge about the technical specifications and requirements?

bemers
Community Member

I'm using CS6 and you can open ai files with photoshop. The drawback is, after resizing, you can't save it back to a vector image. You can only save them in raster file formats such as jpg, png, tiff ….
If the print-on-demand app accepts raster files, then you're in luck.

Community Member

My POD apps accepts jpg and png only.

My main concern is finding a software that can change image dimension without affect quality.

bemers
Community Member

I don't normally open vector images (ai files) with Photoshop but the looks of it, it might work.

A dialog box will ask you to set the proper settings required by your POD such as resolution, mode and dimensions. Once it's opened, save it as png or jpg.

If you will use Illustrator, open the file, resize the artwork and export it as png or jpg. This is my preferred approach.

Community Member

Thanks.

I didn't want to use Illustrator cuz it is not free, and I don't want to get a monthly fee just to resize.

So I'm using Inkscape.

Hi Wei,

You can also rename the file and change its extension (this works on mac, not sure if it applies to windows). So the file that was named ABC.ai becomes ABC.pdf.
You can then import into Photoshop . When the dialogue box appears, choose 300 or higher dpi at the bottom and CMYK. You can then resize the file - preferably if it's reducing the original size.
hope it helps.

Thank you 🙂