Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

What other online portfolios/websites do you use (and keep updated)?

Employee
Jessica D Employee Member Since: Jul 19, 2018
1 of 16

Hi Design and Creatives!

 

I'm a User Researcher with Upwork, and I'm working with a product team to build out some new features for our sign-up and profile creation process.  In an effort to make the process a little easier for new freelancers, I'd love to get some quick feedback from our talented designers here!

 

My question for you is- what site(s) do you use to keep and updated portfolio?  A personal site? Behance? Dribble? Something else?

 

Also, do you use the same site to keep an updated work/client history? Or do you use LinkedIn (or something else) for that?

 

Thanks in advance everyone! Your responses help us build a better experience for freelancers like you. Smiley Very Happy

Active Member
Zainab K Member Since: Jul 12, 2014
2 of 16

Most of the freelancers here use Canva

Employee
Jessica D Employee Member Since: Jul 19, 2018
3 of 16

Hi Zainab, thanks for the reply! Canva looks more like a tool that you create designs with- what portfolio site do you keep your designs in? Like if a client asks to see your portfolio, what site would you share with them?

Community Leader
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
4 of 16

Zainab K wrote:

Most of the freelancers here use Canva


Really? I've never heard of someone using Canva.

 

I have a bare bones Behance/Adobe page and some samples on my profile but I also just have saved portfolio pieces saved to my computer so I can send specific examples depending on the project.

Community Leader
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
5 of 16

I thought we weren't allowed to link to our own personal sites due to the Upwork TOS.

Ace Contributor
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
6 of 16

Kelly B wrote:

I thought we weren't allowed to link to our own personal sites due to the Upwork TOS.


If I remember well you can't link your personal website if it contains a link or a contact form to contact you directly, otherwise no problem.

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
7 of 16

well - you can't really say that most designers use canva - it's a template site used by people who are not  designers. 

I'd say probably behance and personal sites

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
8 of 16

Sanja D wrote:

well - you can't really say that most designers use canva - it's a template site used by people who are not  designers. 

I'd say probably behance and personal sites


Yeah ... I wondered about that myself. It explains a lot of profiles, right?

 

In the end - it's just as easy to keep your best samples close at hand, and attach relevant projects to your bids. Clients don't have the time, nor care about seeing your entire design history - I've rarely seen RFPs where a client asks specifically for a link to a site, and most times I believe they ask because they're not aware that your portfolio is available on your profile.

 

Most times, clients only want to know that you can do the job you're bidding on ... again, relevant samples. No need to make them visit another site and have to weed through hundreds of samples looking for something that resembles their job.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 16

Jessica D wrote:

Hi Design and Creatives!

 

I'm a User Researcher with Upwork, and I'm working with a product team to build out some new features for our sign-up and profile creation process.  In an effort to make the process a little easier for new freelancers, I'd love to get some quick feedback from our talented designers here!

 

My question for you is- what site(s) do you use to keep and updated portfolio?  A personal site? Behance? Dribble? Something else?

 

Also, do you use the same site to keep an updated work/client history? Or do you use LinkedIn (or something else) for that?

 

Thanks in advance everyone! Your responses help us build a better experience for freelancers like you. Smiley Very Happy


I wish Upwork would refrain from making it easier, especially in this over-saturated category. There are many people who fill their portfolios with easy-to-steal artwork online, as well as from other freelancer's portfolios, and call themselves graphic designers by claiming the work as their own. Those profiles are always so glaringly obvious, yet they're accepted. The end result is a lot of unhappy clients who find out they paid for a clip art logo. I know this isn't what you're asking, but I'm taking this opportunity to vent about this because it's a problem.

 

As to your question. I keep organized work samples on my hard drive and attach relevant samples to my bids. I have samples in my UW portfolio, but I don't depend on it because it's truly awful in the way that it displays samples.

 

And I believe that now, if we want to edit our portfolio, we are being forced to create specialized profiles, which I have no interest in doing. I can't add new samples, I can't delete items I'd like to delete. Upwork has no business dictating how I want to present myself, yet that's what is happening.

Active Member
Aldy W Member Since: Jul 11, 2019
10 of 16

I just created a question regarding Profile Smiley Happy here: Portfolio Video Upload

 

I work mostly on national TV Commercials, Music Videos, etc. all Video based files, showreels are not easy to share and upload publically due to copyrights, NDAs, etc. Some use personal website. But i prefer to stick on Google Drive and One Drive to store Showreel video files and share the link to the right person/clients Smiley Happy  

 

I use LinkedIn too! Definetly recommend to have feature to connect with LinkedIn profile here in Upwork.

 

Cheers!