🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » What’s one business lesson you learned in 202...
Page options
rlouw
Community Member

What’s one business lesson you learned in 2022? (as a freelance designer)

We’re nearing the middle of Q4 and, for many people, that means planning for 2023. As you look back on this year and prepare for next year, what is one lesson you learned in 2022 (as a freelance designer) that you will carry into the future?

2 REPLIES 2
dosemil
Community Member

2022 what a year!  I appreciate your posting because everything is constantly changing and making business in the creative field is always challenging.  

I believe that there is a silent technological revolution in the way things are heading and the upgrade can be terrifying. The positive side of this is that people with decision-making traits are portraying themselves as creatives, the tools for designing. The problem sometimes is that people who are not dedicated fully to designing or art-making miss some steps on the line. I have learned that we are becoming assistants and collaborators in other people's endeavours. 

In 2022, digital art has changed forever,  first the NFT boom, we have yet to understand the concepts around what happened this year, it's a reminder that digital creation does have a high value, the problem is that the market is distorted, the benefits of NFT's are not measurable, prices are not stable like traditional art. I can't make conclusions but there was something freeing about that. 

Now AI with AI visualizing things that are in your head is easier than ever, what would be our role as creatives with this technology? I think that as creatives we are forced to feel take a lead in a mix of programming, development marketing and business and help our communities. 

The lesson for this year was, putting myself in the shoes of the client, how can I help my clients grow their businesses? What are their struggles? What solutions can I bring to the table?

I mean you are helping your clients reach their goals.

Another lesson I have yet to put into practice is keeping up to date with my portfolio, sometimes I look back to my client's work and I feel that is not good enough, I have to overcome some fears, and stop procrastinating in something that is essential like the work you are doing.

rlouw
Community Member

Thanks David for sharing!

NFT's and AI are very interesting topics in themselves. Is it the end of NFT's or just a bear market? Will AI take my job and make me irrelevant?

Enough for me to think about and keep me up at night.