🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Worried about bad feedback/Refund
Page options
kamransharjeel07
Community Member

Worried about bad feedback/Refund

A client offerd me 15$ for a job, I accpted, I worked for him for 2 hours, He ended the contract, Maybe he didn't like my work. So I'm worried about the feedback, he didn't tell me the exact reason of ending the cotract, He asked for refund, should I refund him? Should i be worried about my successrate/feedback?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
zohaumar
Community Member

Hello Rana

If you'll refund him, he won't be able to give you a "public feedback", which is safer if you're worrying about your success rate. However, refund will affect your success rate a little but may not be equal to the bad rating you might get. 

If your client has ended the contract, as you've said, chances are that he has already given his review. I suggest you check the review and then take any step further. 

I hope for the best!

Zoha

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
zohaumar
Community Member

Hello Rana

If you'll refund him, he won't be able to give you a "public feedback", which is safer if you're worrying about your success rate. However, refund will affect your success rate a little but may not be equal to the bad rating you might get. 

If your client has ended the contract, as you've said, chances are that he has already given his review. I suggest you check the review and then take any step further. 

I hope for the best!

Zoha

petra_r
Community Member

@Zoha U wrote:

Hello Rana

I hope for the best!

Zoha

The above is all wrong.

• The client has already ended the contract, so 100% HAS given feedback, private and public.
  • A refund has NO effect on the JSS AT ALL
  • The effect on the JSS has already happened.
  • A refund will remove the public feedback from the OPs profile, but NOT the effect of the contract outcome from the JSS. 

Thanks Petra!

Maybe I should refund him, but I couldn't give the stars or public feedback to my client after the ending cotract, how is that possible?

Hi Guys,

I agree with Petra , Because same case happened to my brother account,,,,,

He ended the contract, but his review is not showing yet

It won't until you provide a review. 

I can't give the public review, I can only give the private feedback to upwork

Hi Rana,

When the client closed the job they requested for the funds in Escrow to be returned to them and it looks like you approved that request. Since no money was paid on the contract, public feedback isn't available.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Kamran Don't worry Friend it will be okay...

In my case, the bad feedback was removed on my profile when I refunded him all the amount billed on that client.

petrabalekic
Community Member

Hi everyone,

First, I'm not sure if I had to start a new topic or repy here, please tell me if I did it wrong, I'm pretty new here 🙂

So, I also have a problem with a client and I'm not sure what's best to do in my situation. I'm on horly contract with a client that wants an animation. The whole project is about 5 minutes long and we agreed to make a test animation on one page of a storyboard first. I'm still on that assignment, have worked for 25 hours now.

The problem is that my client is changing his mind all the time and it's impossible to work an animation like that. I explained him that we need to make all the preparations before jumping on animation (design, timing, etc) but he just don't seem to get it. First he was changing his mind all the time about the design- one day he's satisfied, the other day he asks changes, third day he wants to return to the first one. But I thought we managed to solve that part since he didn't change a design for couple of days now; he said it's definitely good and that he approves it. I finished the whole animation test with the agreed design and today he sends me a message that he wants to change the design again, which means that I would have to do everything from the start (it's classical animation and I can't just easily edit the character). The problem is that if I make it I know that he's gonna change his mind again, that's just the way he functions.

I wouldn't like to refund my earnings because I was working hard on this and don't think that would be fair. I'm thinking about asking him to end the contract but if he leaves me a bad feedback is there a way I can reply on that so the other potential clients can see my side aslo? Also, is there any chance the Upwork can interfere and not take his opinion into account if I prove a dissatisfaction was my client's fault, not mine?

Thank you in advance

Hi Petra, 

I'm sorry to hear abut the difficulties you're having on this contract. Please note that Upwork won't be able to address the feedback your client leaves, unless it's violation Upwork ToS, but you do have the option to respond to your client's feedback and share your side of the story.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you for answer. Please explain one more thing- what is the difference between me ending the contract and my client doing that? I've seen that most of the experienced users are advicing freelancers not to end the contract by themselves but I'm not sure why is that so.

Hi Petra,

The party that end the contract is prompted to leave feedback as part of the process, so that's why it's highly advisable to have the client end the contract. The other party also has an option to leave their feedback and which ever option you decide to take, I'd advise you to communicate with the client first before taking any action.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladimir:

I am piggybacking on your response to ask a question. I have read some, but not all, of the links Upwork has provided regarding JSS and reviews. Is there a mechanism to prevent "malicious" reviews and ratings? or is the mechanism to provide your side of the story? If it is the latter, does "your side" have a mitigating impact on a negative JSS? I haven't run into that issue yet (I'd certainly hope not, since I just signed up), but I like to be proactive.

Best regards,

Joseph A. Gross

If you are Top Rated you have the option of removing feedback from one contract per quarter or so:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/219801228-Top-Rated-Perk-Feedback-Removal

But otherwise, no, there's no "mechanism" in place, and Upwork will not take your side in any way unless the client has violated the Terms of Service. Just being a jerk doesn't count. Your side of the story won't fix the damage to your JSS. The clients have most of the power here because they're the ones who pay Upwork directly.

C'est la vie.