🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » fixed price clarification
Page options
jordansilverman
Community Member

fixed price clarification

Hello Folks,

I'm new to Upwork and had what might be a quick clarifying question.  The job poster states $150 as a fixed price, and is looking for 15 images created, but I'm not sure if that's $150 per image (reasonable) or if they're expecting to pay $10 per image and $150 for all 15 files (ouch).  

Well, please let me know your thoughts and thanks (oh, and here's the listing too): **Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jordan S wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion John. . . I had thought about that as well, but wondered how common it was to spend connects on questions from time to time (spending them on proposals that you potentially wouldn't have otherwise submitted, had you known the answers to the basic questions you had, in order to know if you even wanted to bid or not).

Well, I figured you may know the answer to that since you've been at this for 4 years longer than I have (considering this is my first day).

Thanks again so, so much!

-Jordan

You might well wonder. Unfortunately, it's very common. But it becomes less problematic as you gain traction landing contracts through repeat business and invitations, and connects become less precious.

Some clients deliberately low-ball the budget, others do it unwittingly, and still others just throw a placeholder figure in because they aren't sure about a reasonable fee OR want to see what bids come back.

I mostly ignore the budget and instead, carefully scrutinize the specs--such as they are, sometimes--and also the client's UW hiring history, if any. What have they paid in the past, for what kind of work? If a job looks like a good fit for my skills and nothing smells fishy or off-putting, then I submit a proposal with either a placeholder budget of my own or a real one predicated on specific assumptions about the specs and I spell those out. Also, asking smart questions is a good way to quickly display your own expertise and experience.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
yitwail
Community Member

It’s most probably $150 for 15 photos, but only way to be sure is to send a proposal and ask.

Thanks for the suggestion John. . . I had thought about that as well, but wondered how common it was to spend connects on questions from time to time (spending them on proposals that you potentially wouldn't have otherwise submitted, had you known the answers to the basic questions you had, in order to know if you even wanted to bid or not).

Well, I figured you may know the answer to that since you've been at this for 4 years longer than I have (considering this is my first day).

-Jordan

re: "wondered how common it was to spend connects on questions from time to time..."

Well... connects ARE free...

So... many freelancers don't mind using them like this.

Jordan S wrote:

-Jordan

You might well wonder. Unfortunately, it's very common. But it becomes less problematic as you gain traction landing contracts through repeat business and invitations, and connects become less precious.

Some clients deliberately low-ball the budget, others do it unwittingly, and still others just throw a placeholder figure in because they aren't sure about a reasonable fee OR want to see what bids come back.

I mostly ignore the budget and instead, carefully scrutinize the specs--such as they are, sometimes--and also the client's UW hiring history, if any. What have they paid in the past, for what kind of work? If a job looks like a good fit for my skills and nothing smells fishy or off-putting, then I submit a proposal with either a placeholder budget of my own or a real one predicated on specific assumptions about the specs and I spell those out. Also, asking smart questions is a good way to quickly display your own expertise and experience.

Good luck!

Oh super, thanks so, so much for that perspective and sharing those ideas. . .that's very helpful!

Basically, if the job looks interesting, the client seems legit, and you know you can ace it, go ahead and send a proposal. Bid what you feel you're worth, wow them with your portfolio, etc., and then forget about it unless they hire you.

Worst-case scenario: You never hear from them again, but you've contributed to going against the "race to the bottom."

Best-case scenario: You get hired, deliver everything they ask for, and they keep coming back to you and/or recommending you to others.

That's how I deal with this type of offer : I bid a price close to what the client offers and explain that it's just a placeholder as the offer is not precise enough. 

And then I say what I would ask for the job offered.

Please don't believe that offering to work for near to nothing will get you the job, it rarely does and if it does, it's not good for your profile as clients can see what you have previously accepted to work for.

Luce N wrote:

Please don't believe that offering to work for near to nothing will get you the job, it rarely does and if it does, it's not good for your profile as clients can see what you have previously accepted to work for.

Exactly. It also makes it harder for other freelancers to charge what they're worth, as clients begin expecting lower and lower prices. The "race to the bottom" has no winners, and everyone loses.