🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: free sample from 490 aplicants
Page options
noemibb
Community Member

free sample from 490 aplicants

Do you think free sample is ok from 490 applicants? Do you think working days for nothing is ok? Who agree on only paid samples?

6 REPLIES 6
jr-translation
Community Member

A sample can also be some previous work.

If you think the job violates the ToS, you can always flag it.

r2streu
Community Member

Depends on what they're asking for. Asking for free work violates TOS. If that's what they're doing, report them. If they're asking for samples of previous work, those aren't "free samples" per se, but a normal part of doing business. They don't own them and don't get to use them. They merely get to see them as part of your portfolio. 

imedium
Community Member

Asking for free work violates TOS, if you agree with the client to pay you for a sample that will be ok, it happend to me from time to time, i create some video samples then my client ask for few changes finally take it as final video 🙂

9f104677
Community Member

@Noemi B wrote:

Do you think free sample is ok from 490 applicants? Do you think working days for nothing is ok? Who agree on only paid samples?

Let's put aside Upwork's policies for a moment.

Do I think requesting free trial work is reasonable? Yes, absolutely. It provides peace of mind to the clients that this person can actually perform the job. Of course, it is also reasonable to refuse. Sometimes you just don't have the time to bother with a free trial.

As a client, I would hate to temporarily hire 490 people just to measure their ability - it adds up quickly as a very large expense. It is a unfeasible gamble.

I also don't agree with Upwork's policy on not allowing trial work. If both parties agree to it then let them. They are adults.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jose, 

I'd like to clarify that free trial work is not allowed on Upwork. It's okay to request for trial work, provided the client will pay for the hours rendered for the trial work.

~ Avery
Upwork
9f104677
Community Member

Yes, right. That's what I mean - I think any trial work, regardless of being free, ought to be permitted if both parties agree. Then again it's your platform - but it wouldn't be surprising to have clients/freelancers use alternative mediums to achieve that.