🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: what skiils should I request for this job...
Page options
Community Member

what skiils should I request for this job?

I want to post the job of designing and creating a CAD to make novelty New Years' eyeglasses. I want a CAD that I can give to a company to make the glasses through 3D printing.  I do not have a design background nor do I know much about 3D design software. I want someone who can not only 3D model the glasses , but help me with the product design itself - ie, the size of the glasses, position of the eye holes (it will feature the Jewish New Year 5776 and have eyeholes somewhere within that number, the way regular New Year's glasses this year will feature eyeholes somewhere within the number 2016, hinges of he glasses, etc. This is meant to be a fairly inexpensive set of glasses and I have only a modest budget, so knowledge of how to make a product that could be produced fairly inexpensively would help.

Because I am unfamiliar with the technonlogy involved, I'm not sure what skills to list in my job posting.  Can anyone suggest the skills that would be needed for this job?

3 REPLIES 3
lomen_jan
Community Member

Product design, 3D modelling - easy peasy.

john_calhoun
Community Member

Notes From a 3d Cadd Modeler:

Cadd operators rely on precision.  For a project like this they would need to measure all the parts  a pair of  glasses to create the base form of thier model. Then plot and  send to you to sketch your Ideas in the printout.   From that the cadd operator could possibly create the features by estimating proportions of your design and creating elements to try to match them.

Once it gets this far the Cadd operator can play with the design and let his technical creativity go to work.

This is the way I would look at it. Just thought I'd share my thoughts.

John

hariz1203
Community Member

Basically I would say this project is suited for some one like me.

You need a product designer, or some would say Industrial Designer. 

You need them to make the 3D files in CAD programs like Solidworks, or Catia so it can be worked later by manufacturer.

You also need them to understand at least about production process, especially plastic molding as they would need to design them to be possible to be manufactured not just can be 3D printed.

Last but not least you need them to have a creative mind as well. So that they not just can operate the programs for you but able to give you his/her suggestions and worked together with you.

I hope this can help you

Cheers