This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Advice for beginner

Darko S Member Since: Sep 17, 2015

I've been here a year, but families and regular jobs take time. So I'm a beginner again here. For more than 5 years I work with a Wordpress. But not even one single programming language I learned in detail from scratch, get by on the fly. And with that resourcefulness, I have 50 sites behind. Here the competition is strong, and you know that the minimum wage in Serbia can not survive. Especially with the unemployed wife and small child.

Currently actively teach (school way correctly) HTML5, CSS3, Javascript. My English is solid, not perfect. But again, rarely come to the job. I would ask you for some advice, take a look at my profile, what you would have kicked, rewrote, added.

I am sure that I am better than most people from **Edited for Community Guidelines**. It's time to get off the minimum wage, and I go here seriously. I accept any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Hi Darko,

I see you have had jobs on Upwork, but there are a few details in your profile overview that you might want to consider changing.

In my opinion, you need to include more information about your skills, experience, how you can help your client improve their business and less general information about yourself. You should personalize your overview but still be able to grab potential clients' attention with the information you provide in your profile.

Secondly, you need to organize your profile overview and use complete sentences and paragraphs so it would read more easily.

Proposals are the key to getting interviews and winning jobs. You can find instructions and tips for writing a great proposal in this Proposal Workshop Video and following articles: here, here and here.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Frequent Visitor
Milan B Member Since: Aug 20, 2016

Hello Vladimir,

Ne znam da li da pisem na srpskom ili engleskom, ali posto svi piste na engleskom ajde i ja. Smiley Happy

Is it wrong that I offer people I will do the job in exchange for a review from them? I mean, I have tried several times and people are not into that, because no one replied yet. Smiley Happy

I am Front-end developer with 2 years of experience but somehow, still, cant land my first job here. I am on Upwork maybe month and a half but no one wants to someone do the job for free? 

Thanks,

Milan

Hey Milan,

Welcome to the Community! Working for free is a bad business practice and a behaviour we don't support. Feedback can be left only on jobs that were paid for, and prospective clients do see your track record. Clients are interested in getting professional work, and offering to work for free is not a sign of quality they are looking for. Respect your work, effort and time, build that into your proposals and profile, and you will increase your chances of succeeding as a freelancer on Upwork.

Build on your skills and change your profile overview to showcase them in detail. Let the prospective clients know what you can do for them and include your past projects (with clients permission if you don't have the copyright any more) into your Portfolio. Create new content specifically for your portfolio, so clients visiting your profile can get an insight into your skill level and type of work you do. 

Take more skill tests, especially those related to the specific skills you're advertising in your profile. Complete the other areas of your profile and submit custom proposals to jobs within your skill set, so you could get a Rising Talent badge on your profile.

Check the resources I've shared above and i other threads to get yourself up to speed with Upwork processes.

Keep us posted on your progress and feel free to post any questions you might have, in English.

Frequent Visitor

Vladimir,

Thanks for the advice.

Nikola S Member Since: Jun 28, 2015
Hey Milan, you have to write on English, forum has rules about writing posts, few words on Serbian won't mind.

I am on UpWork for 2 years, Top Rated, many successful jobs behind, and still I find it hard to find the job during the summer. Don't be disappointed with this, keep, applying and someone will eventually come up. To me, summer is worst part of the year for finding the job.

It Is not wrong to offer work for a review, but I wouldn't suggest that, many clients love to pay for quality work done, and if you have that approach, they might think you don't value your work, if you want to get your first contract keep you bids low.

Try to outstand from the crowd with the cover letter, the lower bid and attached sample is always a good application. (sometime clients won't reply to that either) I do think there are bots on the UpWork site, to increase traffic, and interaction, because there is option to buy your connects, and if you spend them faster, it is more likely you will buy new ones.

Keep trying, all the Best
Frequent Visitor

Nikola,

Thank you for your answer. I have to update my portfolio definitely and will take your advice with sample work and better cover letter.

Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
Fully agree. All up until lare July my hire rates were quite high. Now i cant find any jobs on here even though I am looking and bidding a lot and being very careful with cover letters. I spent 70 connects since the beginning of this month plus two legitimate invites bu did not land a single new client and job. Also I have a large well paid gig that is paused by client two months ago.

During Summer it is more likely to earn as a raspberry picker in Arilje than on Upwork.
Frequent Visitor
Natasa R Member Since: Sep 9, 2016

Hi, I am new freelancer and I hope that someone can help me with my profile. It looks for me a little bit boring, but I don't know how to improve it.

When I do a proposal to some job, how can I attach my projects (which format)? When I tried to put PDF, I couldn't do that.

Hi Natasa,

Welcome to Uwork! 

Seeing you joined Upwork a few days ago and only submitted a few proposals, the most important advice I'd give you is to be patient.

Take your time to write custom proposals for each job and address directly the client's requirements. Expand your proposals with information specific to their job and include samples of your work. Also, add more samples to your profile portfolio to demonstrate your skills. Create more samples specifically for your portfolio if you don't have any others and make sure have client's permission if you're using any work you've previously created, but don't have the copyright any longer.

Don't compromise your rate or work for free. You have a solid background in your area of expertise and Rising Talent status on your profile. Increase your activity and bid on jobs that are only within your skillset.

Depending on the user, it takes time to win your first job. I've seen freelancers get their first contract within a day or two after creating their profile, to others who had to wait a month or two before getting the opportunity to prove themselves. Stay motivated and keep working on your profile overview and title. Consider specializing your profile further and advertising in only one category.

Read our Freelancer Guide, watch our Proposal Workshop Video, along with other tutorials from our YouTube channel and free webinars listed here.

Good luck and feel free to follow up on this thread if you have any more questions.