This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Getting paid in Portugal - EUR

Highlighted
Ines P Member Since: Mar 14, 2016

Hello! This is my first post in the upwork community.
I created a profile a few months ago (before VAT fees were added) I use paypal (set to dollars) to transfer my upwork payments, which so far have been few and quite modest, so I just used them for online purchases.
But I want to start transfering it to my account and I'm wondering if i should stick with paypal, pay the conversion fee to euros and transfer it to my bank account. Or if I should start using LFT (which is the recommended way for Portugal according to Upwork) it's 2USD so maybe it would cheaper?  Then again isn't paypal the safest option?

Can someone help me out? Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014

PayPal's conversion fees table thingy makes my head hurt.

How much does your local bank account charge you to convert foreign currencies? They may be a better option to PayPal.

For me, my bank charges me £5 if it's £99 and under (what I get once it's been converted) and then 25p (£0.25) for £100 or more and for each increment of £100.

I simply factor this cost into my rate/pricing.

It makes my head hurt as well but so does my Bank's fees regulations. It could be free or around 4 euros, it's not very specific with international transfers (and the chart is quite confusing as well) I guess I'll stick to paypal for now, at least with smaller payments. Thanks anyway!

Ludovic P Member Since: Dec 5, 2016

Hey Inês - Portuguese neighbor here. 
My last reply was deleted because it was in Portuguese. 
Did you find any solution for your problem? Are you still using paypal or the LFT for the money you make on Upwork? Thanks! 

Hi (I guess my reply got deleted as well).
For smaller amounts I stuck with paypal because I make some online purchases so it's pretty useful.
But I talked to a friend of mine who also as an upwork account and he said he always used LFT and that worked well for him. And so, for a bigger payment (around 200usd) I finally used LFT because I knew I wouldn't spend that much online and I would rather keep that in my bank account. Besides Upwork Fees, I "Lost" about 10€ when the transfer went through. which was what I was expecting so it worked well for me! I'm still unsure about paypal fees for transfers (specially for bigger amounts) but I plan to stick with paypal for smaller payments and LFT for the bigger ones, so that's what I would advise. But that of course depends on your bank (I'm caixa geral de depositos) or if you buy a lot of stuff online (paypal might work great for all kinds of payments in that case).

Hope this helps!

Frequent Visitor
Diogo S Member Since: Mar 22, 2017

Direct Transfer from Upwork to your bank account is just $2, now. And you receive the entire amount that Upwork tells you gonna receive.

Plus, the upwork conversion rate is always better than the Paypal one, so it's almost always a better option.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Hi Diogo,

To clarify, Upwork charges $0.99 per withdrawal Direct to Local Bank, in case you were referring to the fee charged by Upwork and not the possible incoming bank fees local banks might charge for these transfers.

Frequent Visitor
Sofia D Member Since: May 4, 2017

Hi all,

Another portuguese here. I was trying to add my payment method now but I don't get the 'local bank' option... Only paypal, payoneer, US Bank and wire transfer...

How can I do it??

Thanks

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Hi Sofia,

I see you already set up Direct to Local Bank withdrawal method on your account. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS