This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

How to pay taxes in Romania through a SRL

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Gabriel Adrian M Member Since: May 16, 2016

Hello Romanian Freelancers, 

I have a question without a clear answer anywhere.

I have opened an SRL in Romania this year. I just start to work on UpWork and I want my incomes to be through my SRL.

Do you know how is the best way to do this?

Thank you in advance,

Gabriel

15 REPLIES 15
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014

You may want to check with an accountant for the details, but basically if you're the only member of the SRL (LLC) it should be straightforward.

You have to report all your earnings on Upwork as the Company's earnings. There could be an issue with invoices since Upwork doesn't send you any copy of the invoices they send to your clients on your behalf. But again, your accountant is the right person to consult with.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Frequent Visitor

Thank you, Rene!

I will talk to my accountant for the details. 

Frequent Visitor

Hi Rene, 

Can I send an Invoice to UpWork for the payment I receive? That's what my accountant told me. 

If yes, How and what that Invoice should include? All the jobs I have done in that month for example? Or something else? Do I need to change the name of my account to the Company name? I'm the only member (Administrator) of the Company.

My company is an SRL(LLC) wich doesn't pay VAT in my country. How this influence the Invoice?

It's all so unclear for me. 

Thank you in advance,

Gabriel Marusca

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014

This is a solution I was thinking about as a solution for EU contractors actually. Since Upwork is an intermediary, why not billing Upwork. You don't actually need to send the invoice to Upwork, but you can edit one for your accounting.

Concerning the VAT exemption, there it doesn't influence your invoice. You just don't add VAT. You may need to reference the tax code section which exempts you from VAT on the invoice however.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Frequent Visitor
Ferencz C Member Since: Jul 13, 2016

Just wanted to say thanks! This thread is super helpful for me as well!

Lavinia M Member Since: Jul 17, 2015

Hi, Gabriel

I operate the same way as you do, except that my company is platitor de TVA.

you will need to register in the ROI registry, if you have not done that so far.

also, the bank account registered as payment method with upwork needs to be your SRL's bank account. 

I retrieve my earnings from upwork to that bank account. the money send by upwork will hit your company's account in 5-7 days. they send USD, but you cash in EUROs. so you lose a bit because of the conversion rate.

if you want me to, I could refere you to my accountant. she services other freelancers, as well.

Lavinia

Community Leader
Andrei T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016

Hi Lavinia,

Could you please share with us who appears as the 'PAYER' on the payments you receive from Upwork ? Is it an entity from within or ouside the EU ? ( if the money comes from ouside the EU, it's not necessary anymore to register in the ROI, I believe )

One more thing: is it mandatory to have the USD converted to EUR ? Isn't it possible to open an account in USD and not have the conversion made ?

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Hi Lavinia,

Thank you for your answer and insights. In the mean time I find a solution for this. As Andrei ask, do you "send" invoices to UpWork or directly to clients? If you send to clients, how do you convince them to give you their details? For the time being, I invoice UpWork as a US company. But I pay the VAT for the commissions and so. 

If I will be interested in the future into a collaboration with your accountant, I will let you know. 

Thank you,

Gabriel

Livia-Ioana C Member Since: Dec 9, 2017

Hi Gabriel!

Could you share with us the solution you found? I  have the same issue! I want to start to work on upwork, but I don't know what is the best way to do it! Do you invoice Upwork or the client?  I have heard that in the meantime, upwork has changed its billing mode, writes the name of the freelancer, but you pay money to upwork(in case you want to hire a freelancer).  In case you want to work on upwork, the invoice contains client name? 

Thank you!