This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Re: Invoicing in Serbia

Frequent Visitor
Nenad P Member Since: Feb 15, 2018

Since I've registered as an entrepreneur in Serbia, in order to withdraw funds from Upwork,

I need to have a coverage for that funds with an invoice.

Does anyone have experience with that, how the invoice should be issued?

Should it be issued to the client weekly for each payment, 

like it's available for download in Transaction history on Upwork,

or it should be issued to Upwork on the total sum which is withdrawn?

If it's issued for each payment, how are the fees calculated, 

show the invoices be reduced for that amount?

I'm withdrawing funds via Paypal, not sure if that plays a part.

6 REPLIES 6
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015

@Nenad P wrote:

Since I've registered as an entrepreneur in Serbia, in order to withdraw funds from Upwork,

I need to have a coverage for that funds with an invoice.

I'm not from Serbia, Nenad, but for every time segment I work using the Team App, I do issue an official receipt to my clients.  I think tax classifications do matter.  Are you a VAT taxpayer?

Does anyone have experience with that, how the invoice should be issued?

I am using a printer-scanner for the purpose of securing colored digital copies of the invoice and then these are organized in a particular folder before being issued to my clients via the message center.

Should it be issued to the client weekly for each payment, 

like it's available for download in Transaction history on Upwork,

or it should be issued to Upwork on the total sum which is withdrawn?

I do issue invoices on a weekly basis, that is, with either an ongoing hourly or fixed-price contract.  The UW service fee invoice may be downloaded from the Transaction Reports page.  The amount that is reflected in my invoice is the amount that is in the Time Log sheet which is derived from the Work Diary and is consistent with the Team App records.

If it's issued for each payment, how are the fees calculated, 

show the invoices be reduced for that amount?

I issue invoices per time segment and not per payment.  I do not write all the deductions in the invoice.  I use a matrix for this purpose.  The csv file can be downloaded from this site.  That's what I try to expand to include foreign exchange rates (which is given in the processed payment transcript we receive from Upwork via email), as well as both gross and net sales in my own currency.

I'm withdrawing funds via Paypal, not sure if that plays a part.

That may fall under the loss category which is as legitimate a deduction as Upwork service fees and bank charges.  

Do you have plans in tallying these things out with your local tax guides?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi Juvy Ann.

I'm not VAT taxpayer, I've registered for a flat-rate tax.

My question was mostly related to Serbia and our laws

since not even accountants I've consulted don't have experience with these payments

and I've got contradictory information from different people.

Some say that invoice is issued to Upwork, others to clients,

so I'm unsure what to do and how to be safe.

Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015

@Nenad P wrote:

Hi Juvy Ann.

I'm not VAT taxpayer, I've registered for a flat-rate tax.

My question was mostly related to Serbia and our laws

since not even accountants I've consulted don't have experience with these payments

and I've got contradictory information from different people.

Some say that invoice is issued to Upwork, others to clients,

so I'm unsure what to do and how to be safe.

I actually felt the same way when I was starting out on taxes.  I had to consult our local tax authorities.  I attended classes prior to registering as a self-employed individual.  Freelancing is a new and dynamically evolving business field.

Did you accomplish the W-8BEN form?

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I've completed the W-8BEN form.

Hopefully someone with experience from Serbia will offer their experience.

Frequent Visitor
Bojana M Member Since: May 17, 2017
I don't have any answers, just a lot of stress. My greatest concern is transferring funds from Payoneer to my business account. I can't say I did that regularly, because it takes hours of waiting in my bank. It 's not very responsible of me, I know... But it's just too much hustle with kids and other things. I am also waiting to hear from someone who can help us coordinate freelancing with birocracy in our country. I hope it matters that we pay taxes regularly, and not if we got every single ridiculous paper or form right.
Frequent Visitor

Recently, I've found this article about Ukraine, 

which answers all of these questions, 

but for Ukraine, pretty sure same rules don't apply to Serbia.

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/for-freelancers/getting-paid-in-ukraine-setting-up-wire-transfer-as-a-...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS