This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Is Now The Right Time To Raise Your Rate?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Raising Rate

Hi all,

With Christmas, New Year and most of the traditional celebrations behind us, we're slowly getting our bearings and getting back to our daily routines.

Seeing this is the perfect time of the year to turn the page and start afresh in many aspects of our personal and professional life, I'm going to ask you to dig deep and ask yourself one of the major freelancing dilemmas - has the time come to revisit my business model and raise my rate?

What approach would you use to leverage this increase? Would you raise your prices only for new clients or for the existing ones as well?

Is it better to tailor the increase to each contract separately or change the rate universally?

Most importantly, which criteria do you use to calculate your rate?

2 REPLIES 2
Nebojsa S Member Since: Jan 6, 2016

- has the time come to revisit my business model and raise my rate?
No it is not as countries like Serbia,Ukraine,Moldova still needs a visa for any first world country .There is more than enough FL there ,I just think that this extremely low rates will go down ,simply economy .
If you are coming from first world countries,upwork in past 6 months have some how accomplished to rid of people from EU,AU,UK etc .Probably no one from Germany ,Swiss,Sweden,Norway will not work for less than average Mcdonald's employee (rate on upwork is lower than McDonalds) .And upwork have 0 programs,events etc in those countries ?I wonder why?So answer is depending on your location
Serbia,Macedonia,Bosnia,Albania,Ukraine,Moldova etc ... No it is not time for anything
1 st world countries ,probably no one is still on platform

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Hey Nebojsa,

Thanks for taking part in this discussion and sharing your opinion. In your view, is your statement true just for your field or for all job categories, regardless of freelancers' level of skill and quality of work?

I'm asking since we've heard and shared recently in this group feedback received from local freelancers, whose rates have been steadily rising as their workload increased.