This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Portugal

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Gisela A Member Since: Oct 12, 2016

Hi everyone,

Any Portuguese here?

It would be nice to know there is life on earth?anybody out there?

Gisela

(Lisbon)

49 REPLIES 49
Frequent Visitor
Renat M Member Since: Oct 17, 2016

Hi Gisela,

I'm not Portuguese but I currently live in Lisbon.

Best,

Renat

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Hi Gisela and Renat,

Thanks for posting in the Community, Portugal is one of the countries I would like to visit some day. Could you please tell us more about the freelancing culture in Portugal and benefits/challenges of working as a freelancer from your personal experience?

Frequent Visitor
Sérgio Miguel S Member Since: Dec 12, 2016

Hi Gisela!

I'm from Porto, you are not alone here Smiley Happy

best,

Sérgio

Frequent Visitor
Sofia A Member Since: Jan 1, 2017

I'm from Portugal. I signed in a few weeks ago, but jut started now.

Krystel L Member Since: Mar 1, 2017

Hey! I'm from Portugal (margem sul, Lisbon area), but currently I'm living in California Smiley Very Happy

Portugueses por aqui?

Tiago S Member Since: Mar 8, 2017

Hey-ho everyone! 

Another "tuga" here, from up north Porto. 

Vladimir, freelancing in Portugal used to be a great thing about 10 - 15 years ago. Portuguese government invented a new tax policy that permitted anyone to freelance without setting up a company, legally charge clients by emitting a specific invoice (called "recibo verde"), thus declaring income for taxation purposes.

Unfortunately, this backfired majestically. 99,9% of companies started abusing the system and only started hiring people if they'd be under this model, even for full-time jobs. This is because they could simply not hire/fire that person again without any compensation or legal/social security penalties. Withing a few years about 40% of the country was technically a "freelancer".

Basically, they turned Portugal into a death-trap for freelancers. It's a real shame, the idea was awesome.

Things are not getting better. Any serious freelancer either sets up single-member company (which is extremely limiting) because their income is vastly superior to moronic taxation policies (up to 45%), or simply does not declare income to be able to pay for rent and food.

It really is a hostile environment. You definitely can position yourself to be a 100% legal tax payer, but it completely nulls any sense of entrepreneurship. Either your business works out great right off the bat, or you've just dug a huge hole you'll probably never recoup from.

Obviously, this is not the full story, I'm talking about 100% legit freelancing status. If one has a contract with a company that takes care of your IRS and Social Security obligations, then it's pretty much the opposite, you are free to collect as much as you want without major issues. Stupid and silly. Freelancers have to deduct much much higher taxes than medium to big sized companies. It's ridiculous. Like an inverted incentive pyramid... ugg ... Smiley Sad

Result? Massive corruption and fraudulent IRS declarations.

But Portugal, as a country, is simply amaaazing! You should definitely come by, and when you do hit me up so I can set you up with a kickass tour of Porto Smiley Wink

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Hi Tiago,

I'm sorry to hear about the downsides and obstacles freelancers in Portugal are facing. Thanks for the insight and the offer, hopefully I'll have the opportunity to visit Portugal since that's on my wish list.

Frequent Visitor
Diogo S Member Since: Mar 22, 2017

Another Portuguese here, from Lisbon. Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor
Eduardo A Member Since: Mar 24, 2017

Hey another Portuguese from Braga Smiley Very Happy.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS