This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Portugal

Frequent Visitor
Helga L Member Since: Jun 28, 2017

Hey! Another "bracarense" here! Cheers! Smiley Happy

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014

Hi All,

Just a quick reminder that posting in languages other than English isn't allowed by the Community Guidelines.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Frequent Visitor
Joana O Member Since: Jul 15, 2015

Hi!

I'm from Lisbon!

I was wondering if anyone here reports there income to the "finanças" and how do you do it? I am trying to do things right but it's not easy Smiley Wink

Frequent Visitor
Huzaifa A Member Since: Dec 12, 2015
Not Portuguese but currently living in Lisboa ❤️😊
Chiara S Member Since: Jul 25, 2017

Hi guys, I’m new to Upwork and I’m trying to figure out how to invoice my clients.

My accountant says that if Upwork invoices my clients for the total amount they have paid, I’m supposed to send an invoice to Upwork for the sum I’ve  actually received, without considering the 20% fee.

Anyone from Portugal who can confirm this?

Bruno C Member Since: Feb 14, 2017

Hey guys!

Yeah, I also need help on this. I think I've been doing it wrong and need to know how you guys are reporting your taxes, and when, since this is not a "normal" way to work for freelancers, and with all the "forms" on the site, I'm kind of lost.

Thanks

Krystel L Member Since: Mar 1, 2017

Hello,

As a freelancer with activity open in Portugal, I'm doing this for the past 2 years (without any problem and after talking to 3 different local accountants):

I have my professional VAT number associated to my Upwork Account. I invoice (recibo verde eletronico) the full payment that client pays (fees included) on my "Portal das Finanças". Then, I declare the Upwork fees as expenses of my professional activity (with that, I don't pay taxes on the whole amount).

The invoice needs to be done for the client (not to Upwork, because Upwork is not our client, but the service provider). We need to issue our invoices to our clients. And the invoices need to show the same amount as the invoices Upwork issued (available at Settings > Get Paid > View Payments / Transaction History).

More about our taxes in Portugal: https://www.nomadismodigital.pt/freelancer-em-portugal-impostos/

Bruno C Member Since: Feb 14, 2017

Hi Krystel

Thank you for your reply.

How about the VAT payments? I know it depends on how much you earned the year before, but below 10k€ I don't have to pay VAT, correct?

Regardind the Social Security payments, they have to be made every month, right?

Thanks for your help

Krystel L Member Since: Mar 1, 2017

Hello Bruno,

Yes, below 10k you don't need to pay IVA/VAT. And also, below 10k you don't need to make the "retenção na fonte da segurança social": you only need to pay the Social Security with your annual taxes in April/May.

If you have more than 10k/year, you need to pay your Social Security monthly.

Frequent Visitor
Joana O Member Since: Jul 15, 2015

Hi Krystel!

Thank you for your post, it's really helpful.

Could you please share with us what do you insert in the field of the "NIF" of the Client? Do you ask for this information to each of your clients?

And what do you do about the IVA?  

Thank you in advance

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS