This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Portugal

Krystel L Member Since: Mar 1, 2017

Hello Joana,

In the invoices that Upwork send us (see them on the "Get Paid" page), you sometimes have the VAT number of your client, as like their address and country. You use this information to fill the "Recibo Verde Eletrónico."

If you don't have the VAT number of your client, in the NIF field you insert: "-----" or "consumidor final." Never enter "999999990", as we sometimes read on the internet. This information is only for internal use by the SAF-T(PT).

For the IVA, if you have a valid VAT number on your Upwork account, Upwork doesn't charge you IVA. But if you are no longer within the exemption period ("Regime de Isenção") and you paid IVA, when you'll create the "Recibo Verde Eletrónico," you'll need to insert in the IVA field the "Regras de Localização – art. 6o (regras específicas)". With this, the IVA will be calculated at the rate of your customer country and will not pay the IVA - but you'll need to insert this information in your "declaração periodica de IVA."

If the client is Portuguese, you need to choose the correct IVA for Portugal. So, in addition to the 20% fee of Upwork, you'll need to pay the IVA for Portuguese customers, so have this on attention when you send your price/proposal.

The ebook "Como Ser Freelancer" by Nomadismo Digital Portugal has a chapter about this financial question for Upwork members if anyone wants to check: https://loja.nomadismodigital.pt/ebook-como-ser-freelancer/

Frequent Visitor
Joana O Member Since: Jul 15, 2015

Thank you so much Krystel!

Frequent Visitor
Joana O Member Since: Jul 15, 2015

Hi again Krystel!

I have another question that maybe you could help me with. How do you define the dates: "prestação de serviço date" vs "Invoice date" in the "recibos verdes"?

I know that legally in Portugal, we have 5 days to make an invoice after the date of the "prestação de serviço" and that in the invoices that Upwork sends us there is a date. Should this date of the upwork invoice be the "prestação de serviço date?" if so, is the correct date the "DATE" or the "DUE DATE"? 

The issue is that usually I don't have the money in my account in the 5 days after the date of the upwork invoice. Sometimes we don't even have the invoice in the next 5 days after the date that the invoice will report. How do you work around this? 

I have my payments scheduled monthly, would I be able to continue to do that?

I thank you in advance for your help!

Joana

Frequent Visitor
Jose M Member Since: Sep 5, 2017

Hi Krystel,

I have a question regarding the fees we pay to Upwork. How do you declare them as expenses of your professional activity? I was supposing we would need to declare them as made abroad, but that is only possible for other types of things (education, health, etc.). I can only find a way to declare this type of things if made in Portugal, but that is probably wrong in the case of Upwork. Is it? Do you do it that way and use Upwork's VAT number in the NIF field?

Thanks in advance,

José

Frequent Visitor
Luis C Member Since: Nov 23, 2017

Hi!!

I just realised i dont have my VAT approvated because i have not initiated my activity, meanwhile i just transfered money already to my bank....

How can i solve this? Any suggestion? Smiley Tongue

Hello Luís,

You need to fill the Form W-8BEN: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063938-What-is-the-Form-W-8BEN-

After that, you do not need to worry about your VAT Number. Since you do not have a VAT Number (because you do not have activity in Portugal), Upwork will charge the VAT/IVA (23%) directly to your payment so you do not have to do anything.

When you have a valid VAT number, Upwork will not be responsible for this deduction, since the freelancers/trabalhadores por conta própria are obligated to declare all their income to the Finanças.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Hi Krystel,

Just following up to clarify one detail regarding your statement in the following comment, which you most probably made in error since it appears you're aware that the VAt is applied only on the services Upwork provides, such as the service fee, Plus membership fee and for purchasing additional Connects.

"After that, you do not need to worry about your VAT Number. Since you do not have a VAT Number (because you do not have activity in Portugal), Upwork will charge the VAT/IVA (23%) directly to your payment so you do not have to do anything."

Frequent Visitor
Ricardo C Member Since: Aug 9, 2017

Hi!

Another Portuguese, from Guarda! (The highest city in Portugal Smiley Very Happy)

I'm not a freelancer, i have a job (Front End Developer) but i'm looking for some extra jobs to improve my skills.

I'm starting now but i'm having some problems with VAT number, can someone help me on this? The VAT number is our "NIF" right? Upwork is not accepting my number....

Hey Ricardo! Smiley Happy 

Yes, the VAT number is the NIF, but to be valid in Upwork you need to have an activity open as a professional (nas Finanças). If you have professional activity open and your VAT is still not accepted at Upwork, you need to call the Finanças. Ask them to associate your activity with intra-communities sales/work. It's free and this doesn't change anything on your work or activity. It's only a code/option we need to have associated with our activity.

After that, try to confirm if it's everything ok with your VAT/NIF number in the European Official Website: http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/ if you have a "green/ok result", your VAT number is ready to be accepted at Upwork platform Smiley Happy

Hope this info helps you!

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Hi Ricardo,

Please, make sure that you submit a number that can be verified by the VIES database. Let us know if it verifies there but still doesn't on Upwork.

Thanks.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS