This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Portugal

Frequent Visitor
Pedro R Member Since: Oct 26, 2017

Wow, Krystel! Amazing support. UpWork should somehow compensate you for these contributions Smiley Happy

Krystel L Member Since: Mar 1, 2017

Thanks, Pedro! We need to help each other, right? Smiley Very Happy Abraço!

Frequent Visitor
Melanie B Member Since: Oct 26, 2017

Hi Guys!

I am English, but have been living in Portugal for years...LOVE IT! Woman Very Happy

Frequent Visitor
Huzaifa A Member Since: Dec 12, 2015

Hi Gisela,

I just moved to Lisbon. I haven't found any upWork community here in Portugal. So I created this group to build a community about upWork in Portugal. **Edited for Community Guidelines** I will be happy if you join this gorup and maybe we can arrange upwork meetup sometime. 

Btw, are you going to join "UpWork huddle in Lisbon" ? 

Cheers!

Huzaifa

Frequent Visitor
Huzaifa A Member Since: Dec 12, 2015

Hello All,

I moved to Portugal few months back. I haven't found any upWork community here in Portugal. So I created this group to build a community about upWork in Portugal. **Edited for Community Guidelines** I would be happy if you join this gorup and maybe we can arrange meetup sometime. 

Btw, are you going to join "UpWork huddle in Lisbon" which will be held in 8th November in Lisbon? 

Cheers!

Huzaifa

Community Leader
Nikolaos A Member Since: May 7, 2015

There is already a Portugal group, just below yours!!!

Frequent Visitor
Sandra F Member Since: Feb 23, 2016

Olá Gisela!

Sim Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor
Eduarda P Member Since: Dec 5, 2017

Hello everyone,

I'm from Ponte de Lima and I live in Costa da Caparica.

I started working this month on upwork and am very confused by it of the payments.

I have to pass the invoices to the clients and not to the upwork ok, but can not I just spend on the amount I received? (How do I add upwork fees to expenses? With the simplified scheme I thought expenses were automatically 25%).

I am exempt from VAT because I have no income greater than 10k, but because I am an invoice abroad do I have to declare VAT?

Krystel L Member Since: Mar 1, 2017

Hello Eduarda,

This is the bad thing about working on Upwork being a simple freelancer in Portugal: you can't put the Upwork fees as a work expense, unless you are in "contabilidade organizada". With the "regime simplificado" (the standard system for freelancers in Portugal), the Portuguese Tax System only taxes 75% of all of your income. The invoice that you pass it's the Upwork Invoice that you receive at the end of your work (with the total of $work), so you need to calculate very well you work price because this is going to enter to your taxes.

About the invoice aboard: if your client as an Valid VAT number of the Europen Union (you can check here: ), when you insert the invoice on the Portal de Finanàas, on "Regime de IVA" you need to choose " Regras de localização - art.6 [regras especificas]" and on the IRS: "sem retenção - não residente sem estabelecimento".
If the client is outside of the EU or if it doesn't a valid vat number, you need to choose the "IVA - regime de insenção [art.53] (since you are exempt) and the "Diepnsa de retenção". Make sure that on the country field you insert the right country (even if you don't have any VAT number), so the Finanças can adjust the VAT on the end.

Thanks,

– Krystel Leal

Frequent Visitor
Josh O Member Since: Dec 21, 2017

Hi,

I am going to register the start of an activity on the 'portal das financa' website, but I'm unsure of the activity code. I am a freelance writer. Does anyone know what category code it falls under? I am due to do my residency soon and am using freelancing as self-employed as my reason. If anyone could let me know the activity code, I would be super grateful

Thanks Smiley Happy.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS