Reply
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Portugal

Frequent Visitor
Silvia P Member Since: Jan 22, 2018

Hi there,

I've been working for several clients on Upwork for a while, but am just now getting familiarised with taxes and all that.

I'm afraid my income will come down to nothing after paying for IRS, SS and IVA...

What's a realistic amount to pay for that if I make around $500/month?

Thanks in advance.

Frequent Visitor
Luis de Sousa T Member Since: Feb 2, 2018

ave one Hello Kristel,

 

Thank you for all your support Smiley Happy

I have one doubt. My invoices (recibos verdes), I am putting the total amount I received at my bank account. So reading your post got me confused "The invoice that you pass it's the Upwork Invoice that you receive at the end of your work (with the total of $work), so you need to calculate very well you work price because this is going to enter to your taxes." 

Do I have to add the upwork fee value to the invoice? I am just adding the final value, that I actually received...

 

Thank you in advance,

 

Luis

Active Member
Krystel L Member Since: Mar 1, 2017

Hello Luis,

 

You need to submit the invoice/recibo verde with the total amount of the invoice that you received from Upwork and billed to your client (= the amount that you received + fees of Upwork). The charges of Upwork is a payment that YOU and only YOU made...not the client responsibility, so it is not deductible on the invoice that you are filling.

 

If you are on "Regime de Contabilidade Simplificada" (the most common), only 75% of your income will be deductible to tax/IRS. The other 25% are automatically seen as "despesas de trabalho." On this "Regime de Contabilidade Simplificada" you can't make official invoices of your expenses. When you make an invoice/recibo verde with the total of your official invoice (with the upwork taxes), 25% percent of this amount will be reported as job expenses – since the upwork fees are 20%-10%-5%, it's ok ;-)

 

If you are on "Regime de Contabilidade Organizada" you also fill a recibo verde with all of the amount shown on your Upwork Invoice, but you can submit the other invoice that Upwork sends you with the fees as a job expense.

 

I wrote last week a post about this in Portuguese, if you want to read: https://www.nomadismodigital.pt/upwork-portal-das-financas/

 

Thanks!

Active Member
Necip Eray D Member Since: Feb 15, 2018

Hi Krystel!

 

I'm amazed how you help people and share your experiences about being freelancer. Very much liked it. I'm also living in Portugal/Porto. Naturally im from Turkey, came to portugal for master but with some reasons i didn't finish yet. Last summer i started getting jobs from Upwork and each day my network is expanding. So i thought maybe i should somehow start my activity in Portugal. I just have NIF number, i don't have any VAT or other things. I would like to register myself as freelancer and declare my earnings since i've been here and earning money for sometime. Just i dont know how and where to start this. Can you help me?

Frequent Visitor
Claudio D Member Since: May 16, 2016

Hey guys,

 

Great to see there's already a considerable amount of people from Portugal on Upwork. With our economic climate, this type of work will definitely continue to grow - might as well take advantage of it!

 

I'm from Porto by the way. Keep up the good work!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS