This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Romania ?

Community Leader
Alan H Member Since: Nov 23, 2014

I spend lots of time in Brasov, Romania, so I qualify to post here. Smiley Happy 

I just want to note how refreshing it is to see perfectly written English from all contributors, even in a venue as informal as a peer forum thread. I know from experience in country how strong the educational system is, and I'm a big believer in Romanian talent of all types. 

Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014

Romanians have this issue with underestimating themselves. English is more often than not a second language in Romania, but romanians still believe that they should compete with India when it comes to rates.

I've tried endlessly to convince co-nationals about their opportunities, but most of them cannot conceive that they can charge $30-$50/hour so they argue the benefits of commuting to work everyday, stay 2 or more hours in traffic, working 8 or more hours a day for a measly 1.000 - 1.500 euros per month. Just that they get a free gym membership and paid healthcare. Plus pensions.

What pensions? After 2030, Romania's pension fund will be almost dead. Even today a third of the whole national pensions system comes from loans.

Community Leader
Alan H Member Since: Nov 23, 2014

Salut, Gabriel.

Most people don't have the cojones to freelance, but the Romanians do "get it" better than, for example, the Italians. Again, it comes down to English skills, and thanks to your schools, most Romanians are generally highly proficient in English. And German, and French. and Spanish...

-Alan

Frequent Visitor
Albert D Member Since: Apr 3, 2017

Gabriel, you should take into account that working in a company is far better than freelancing from the personal development point of view. Especially for beginners, without experience. Usually, companies promote best practices and strong methodologies (well, it’s true, not all the companies but most do). Starting to freelance at the beginning of your career, it is quite dangerous, I know a lot of people which have started to freelance after graduating faculty. Some of them know very few frameworks and design patterns after almost 10 years of freelancing. Usually, in companies, juniors get a lot of training and help from seniors. I think though it is better to start working in a company and after, let’s say 10 years, move to freelancing if you like.

Frequent Visitor
Andreea N Member Since: Apr 5, 2017

Hi guys,

I have some legat questions in regards to working and getting paid on Upwork.

They are quite specific for Romania and I was jsut wondering if anyone can help me with some clarifications.

Many thanks per advance,

Andreea

Frequent Visitor
Georgia B Member Since: May 8, 2017

Hi there. Did you get any help at all? Maybe I can help. Let me know what you need

Frequent Visitor
Denisa N Member Since: Jul 21, 2017

Hi Georgia,

how do we handle the taxes form money reveived from upwork .. via paypall or direct transfer?

Do you know anything about this?

Thanks.

Denisa, Bucharest.

Mihai C Member Since: Jun 9, 2017

Hello guys,

Please help me, I have some questions about payment. 

I already put my payment method as Direct to Local Bank (RON). After first transaction, I understood that at every 100$ I loose about 3-4$ because of conversion. Now I would like to open a new account in $.

First question: Can I change my payment method from RON to $? How can I do this?

Second question: Please provide me the bank with the lowest commission (deposit, withdrawal).

Thanks,

Mihai Curecheru

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

@Mihai C wrote:

Now I would like to open a new account in $.

First question: Can I change my payment method from RON to $? How can I do this?

Hi Mihai, 

Once you open a bank account that can receive foreign currency, you need to set up Wire Transfer option and use it for your next withdrawals.

Frequent Visitor
Brindusescu G Member Since: Apr 26, 2016

Hi.

I've been working as freelancer for many years already, beside my job. Few months ago I decided to dedicate my time 100% to freelancing. Looks like a dream come true, right? Smiley Happy

Well not... I tried to pay my taxes to ANAF for previous year and they look at me like I am kind of an alien. Aske me questions like "How they pay you for? For what they pay you?". Anyway, after long discussions they asked me to fill the 201 form(last year I worked already as a full time job with working contract in Romania) and they said I have to pay 16% imposit and another 16% (10.5% and 5.5%) for health insurance. I was like... lady, I already paid from my incomings last year and the company paid in my behalf those taxes... She was like... you have to pay!

So, this is meaning abou 32% taxes to Romanian government. She said that the paper should come by end of September, but still didn't arrived. Maybe I will not have to pay Smiley Happy)

Ok, now the question is: How you declare the incomings to Romanian government and which taxes you should pay from freelancing? Please if anyone try to be legal in Romania and found a good way, please share it with detailed information.

P.S. I already talked with a tax accountant but not so much help.

(I'm sorry for spelling mistakes, this text was sent from my phone)

Thank you so much for help!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS