This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Re: Upwork Ireland

Ace Contributor
Martin B Member Since: Aug 16, 2015

I have been a member of Odesk/Upwork since 2010. If anyone new from Ireland needs any advice about working on Upwork let me know and I will give you all the info. 

Regards 

Martin Byrne

Graphic Designer

12 REPLIES 12
Frequent Visitor
Patrick M Member Since: Apr 12, 2017

Hi Martin,

Patrick Meegan here. I've just joined upwork. Currently working on my portfolio. I'd be glad of any advice and insights you can give me.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Patrick

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Hi Patrick, welcome to Upwork!

In order to start bidding successfully and winning jobs on Upwork, in addition to the advice experienced Community members shared in the New to Upwork and Freelancers forums, please go through these guides, tutorials, courses, videos, Help articles and Community discussions, designed to help new users get started on Upwork. 

Afterwards, if you have any questions feel free to follow up in the Community and we'll gladly help you with them.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Patrick M Member Since: Apr 12, 2017

Thanks Vladimir. I'll do that.

Patrick

Ace Contributor
Martin B Member Since: Aug 16, 2015

Hi Patrick

Sorry for getting to you so late. There is no notification set up to let people know that someone has responded. There does'nt seem to be a lot of Irish people on here. However there is more than there was in 2010.

If there is any specific questions that you have regarding working on here, let me know. The moderators are quick to help but it always helps to have an Irish perspective.

seeing that there is no notifcation for posts on here, I will check back regulary.

Regards

Martin

Frequent Visitor
Pierce O Member Since: Jul 25, 2017
Hi, Im also just starting out on upwork, and Id like to know how best to set up for tax as an Irish tax resident. Should i register for VAT and supply the number to upwork? Or bill through an accountancy company and let them handle it? I dont imagine ill be earning a huge amount through upwork so any advice on the simplest way to set up. Thanks in advance
Ramona P Member Since: Feb 21, 2017

I've not registered for VAT - you only pay VAT if you earn over 37500pa - so unless you earn a LOT, I don't think it's necessary.
I'm only new-ish myself though, so open to correction Smiley Happy 

Frequent Visitor
Kayleigh S Member Since: Apr 1, 2018

Hiya,

Also new myself....if you didnt supply a VAT number, did you supply W-8BEN tax information?? And what % tax do they deduct?? Is it the Irish Tax Year amount??

thanks Smiley Happy

Mary K Member Since: Nov 10, 2016

Hi Martin

I've submitted proposals for a number of jobs and I'm wondering how you know if there is someone already hired for a job.

regards Mary

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Hi Mary,

Welcome to Upwork. You can check find this information on the job post page, below the job description in the Activity on this Job section. If one or more freelancers were hired for this job from their proposal, this will be indicated under "Hires" in the mentioned section.