This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Why is it so difficult to join Upwork? Or is it about me and my skills?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Edeltraud G Member Since: Nov 12, 2017

Hi, I am trying to join Upwork as a freelancer, but have not been successful so far. I am finishing my master´s degree as a journalist and I have a master´s degree in German philology. I have experience as a journalist and an editor. I have got the CAE and I have an expertise in agriculture. I have passed several of the platform´s tests. I simply don´t get it, why I am not accepted. Maybe someone can provide me an answer. Kind regards, Edeltraud

3 REPLIES 3
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010

@Edeltraud G wrote:

Hi, I am trying to join Upwork as a freelancer, but have not been successful so far. I am finishing my master´s degree as a journalist and I have a master´s degree in German philology. I have experience as a journalist and an editor. I have got the CAE and I have an expertise in agriculture. I have passed several of the platform´s tests. I simply don´t get it, why I am not accepted. Maybe someone can provide me an answer. Kind regards, Edeltraud

I was able to view your profile, so at least that part works.  And though it was not the best I have seen, it was not the worst either. Having said this, you have a link in your Portfolio, which is a violation of the Terms of Service. 

Next time you post, it would be helpful if you the stated the specific problem your having? Such as:

1. Your profile is still pending review

2. You can't bid on jobs

3. You haven't heard from clients whose jobs you bid on

4. Your account is still pending some sort of review

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015

Adding to what Pandora has just said, given your qualifications, your rate is absurdly low. If you have all the experience you claim to have, you ought to be asking at least $30 per hour.

Ace Contributor
Isabelle P Member Since: Oct 19, 2017

Hello Edeltraud !

I only started working on Upwork a couple of months ago and despite my lack of confidence, I've managed to achieve 5 missions already. I did wait for about a month before my first mission.

First thing : I am not half as trained as you are but I confirm your hourly rate should be much higher (I am on 20£ per hour).

Second thing : I took 9 Upwork tests but chose to display the only 6 for which my scores were 30% above average

Third thing : I reached 100% JSS after 4 missions, probably because I am a "small-time player" and only apply when I am sure I am taking no risk...

Good luck to you !

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS