🐈
» Forums » Support » Community Revamp - 04/20/2022
Page options
StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Community Revamp - 04/20/2022

Community may look a tad different when visiting today! We’re excited to roll out our revamped look and feel throughout the Upwork Community. While things may look different, you’ll find nearly everything you are used to about Community is still in the same spot you are familiar with. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, read on below! Check out the full article here

Let us know what you think - Provide us any feedback or report any oddities you may encounter.

Known bugs and issues - We'll try to keep this updated throughout the week as we tackle find and tackle these
  • Usernames are not showing as First Name, Last Initial in all spots
    • This has been resolved in most spots. We're working to fix the few remaining.
  • Last edit/edit author is missing from forums
  • Header has slight issue with margins when no announcement is present
  • On mobile, the search bar on homepage is going off the page
  • We're looking into adding the 'load more' button back in as an optional setting per feedback here
  • Search is missing from the header (Should be next to your avatar/notifications)
  • Link to Upwork Profile is missing from member profiles
  • Pagination is (at times) missing for (some) members
  • PM and Community notifications are missing
  • Custom tags for our moderators are missing
  • Private Messages are squished when visiting the private messages page
76 REPLIES 76
sofia2008
Community Member

Usernames are displayed when you click on First name. Goes to About username.

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

This should be resolved in the next ~12-24 hours. 

renata101
Community Member

The home page is completely disorienting. The icons and stuff at the top seem to occupy way too much real estate. I had to scroll down about a page to get to the threads. If a user was landing here for the first time, it wouldn't be obvious that there was any forum activity displayed on that page.  

Also, I really have no desire to constantly see my picture and rank at the top of the leaderboard. Is there a way to turn that off? 

m_terrazas
Community Member

Have you noticed this on the right?
All with our username, wrong.

m_terrazas_0-1650472934508.png

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

This should be resolved for now (By that, I mean we hid the component as it wasn't meant to be showing!)

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I like some aspects of the new look/feel and will make my peace with what's not immediately appealing. I have two complaints about functionality:

(1) It is no longer possible to access a FL's profile by clicking on their name. This is a really important feature that helps us engage in more intelligent, useful conversations especially with FLs seeking advice or wanting to bounce ideas. Looking at each others' profiles gives us valuable context. I can't figure out why that functionality has been eliminated!!!

(2) Our user names are now displayed in various places under various conditions. That's not categorically a problem except that when we set up our accounts, we're somehow given the impression our user names will remain private. Otherwise, many of us would make different choices when creating them. I don't know what the remedy is, or if there is one. But it's certainly the kind of thing that creates utterly unnecessary friction. 

This should all be resolved in the next ~24 hours. I probably am to blame for both of the problems, but I will definitely take the blame for #2 being removed by mistake - It'll be added back in shortly.

Edit: #1 now fixed!

Image my utter shock and horror when that happened last time. 

Since then I learned that they don't consider them private information. Would have been nice to know, I would have chosen a different one, obviously. 

In any case, everybody activate 2-step verification, since upwork makes it so easy to hack our profiles. 

shefen
Community Member

I like the general look, colors, etc. 

But it's not possible to view to threads older than the most recent 20 (minus any pinned threads). I don't know of any forum that does this. I wanted to add to the "weird job post thread". If there's a way to search for threads, I can't find it. I had to look at my previous posts to get to the thread.

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is a styling issue that should be resolved by the time I hit reply I hope!  (edit - Should be fixed now!)

ericaandrews
Community Member

You can't see any freelancers profile by clicking their name anymore and all the 'ranks' are gone, like 'Community Guru',  'Community Guru', etc.  Everybody just has the title 'Member' now which is not helpful.  If everybody has the same title of 'Member', then why show it at all?  It's repetitive.  

You should be able to see a freelancer's profile if they have it 'public' when you click their name in the Community.  This is needed when people ask for help with their profiles.  There's an entire thread in the 'New to Upwork' community dedicated to freelancers asking for advice for bettering their profiles.  How are people so suppose to help them if nobody can get to their profile anymore?

I also preferred the Notification/Alerts thing at the top of the screen and that it would be highlighted when you had unseen alerts.  I don't like that button to get to the Alerts is buried all the way down in the profile menu - not very convenient.

We removed ranks awhile back, but they'll be returning in the future - See update here -> https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Current-Community-Updates-and-Planning-for-the-Year-Ah...

Notification / Alerts should now be back, as is the ability to see someones Upwork profile.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Since the functionality to drill down to a freelancer's profile is gone, you need to delete the "Get feedback from experienced freelancers" thread, since this is now an impossibility.

A lot of conversations about JSS, feedback removal, and other issues that freelancers might have will stop now, since nobody can take a look at their profiles. I'm guessing participation will be half of what it was before. 

Maybe this is the intention, I'm not going to venture a guess.  

In any case, participating in the forum was fun while it lasted. I will hold back now since there's not much to comment on, and I'm also hoping that my rank will decrease, I really don't want to be so high up on the leaderboard. Man, I hate that so much. Well, that's my personal preference. 

In any case, please nobody give me kudos. I want to vanish into at least #11 or something. 

I hope that the visibility of my user ID is a not a permanent feature. I get enough unsolicited PM's as it is, and don't care to receive messages to my email from intrusive newbies. 

Stan indicated earlier that the access to  profiles will be restored.

Phyllis G wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Yeah. I was assuming that they published a finished product, not some trial and error stuff. 

50768745_0-1650559671569.jpeg

What happened to the development instance you recently assured us you have?

Why is the input you have sought so unmoored from the development process?

Sadly, this is typical Upwork. Happily, this instance is less consequential.

Martina P wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Yeah. I was assuming that they published a finished product, not some trial and error stuff. 

Nah, they're gamifying the experience, and that wouldn't waste nearly enough of everyone's time.  And it's such a delight that trying to find anything is so much like scavenger hunt, and you have to go through this crazy path of links to try to get there. Every time. 

It was a bug for about 6 hours. It is resolved now.  Sorry it had such a negative impact on your experience.  (We're working on resolving the rest!)

wescowley
Community Member

@StanG wrote:

It was a bug for about 6 hours. It is resolved now.  Sorry it had such a negative impact on your experience.  (We're working on resolving the rest!)

Not sure if this is on your list of username exposures, but they're showing up in the blockquotes for quoted messages.

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wes C wrote:

@StanG wrote:

Not sure if this is on your list of username exposures, but they're showing up in the blockquotes for quoted messages.

Looks like this one is fixed now!

Really? This 👇 is still here and the user IDs are still shown for a split second when going to a new page.

Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 09-02-20 Current Community Updates and Planning for the Year Ahead.png

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Jeez, this is a real struggle. I had stumbled onto this page earlier -- while looking for it but through no logical navigation I could recall. Then I was commenting to another FL's question who is obviously new and needs to read Wes's red flags post. OK, it's no longer pinned to the corner of the page, the carousel is someplace else. I opened the Community home page in a new tab and went searching. And seraching, and searching, and searching. Never found it. Nor could I find my way back here to comment. Finally resorted to opening my browser history in order to get back here. I don't know how much of this is ironing out bugs and how much of it is by design. But if we can't find the Feedback page easily, and can't find frequently referenced items easily, then you've still got work to do. 

I'm going to try to stay away for a while, until the dust settles.

Phyllis wrote:

But if we can't find the Feedback page easily, and can't find frequently referenced items easily, then you've still got work to do. 

I want to put my vote in again to please put the Feedback forum back on the menu. 

And please sticky that red flags post again somewhere visible for the newbies.

(Edited to remove Phyllis's username from the blockquote)

[Wes C] wrote:

I want to put my vote in again to please put the Feedback forum back on the menu. 

Likewise, of course. I noticed earlier that it might fit nicely in the sparsely populated "Updates." There's no compelling reason for that heading to cover only one-way communications. It can logically be about updates.

voiceovervandeen
Community Member

Couple more to add,

1)  Unable to PM anyone, including Mod's - button is missing
2)  Was / is there supposed to be a search box on each page?
            (At present only way to search is on home page of community, thought there was a drill down to search particularly     

inside of the groups?)

1 - You should see  the "Send a Message" button on the profile page to the right of your screenshot (black button under avatar)

2 - Search will be added into the header shortly to the left of your avatar (Thus available on every page).

50768745_0-1650489575007.png

Yep, got it, I mustn't have looked far enough over, it used to be next to view profile IIRc.

The new location and layout sucks. It is not "under avatar" but seems to be a random button on the page with no indication who you might send a message to when you (by accident) click on it. Move it back to its old place.

fkupwork
Community Member

While the new look is intuitive from the perspective of user experience, I would rate it 2 out of 5 as a change. 

Something like Discourse will make this better and the team should explore the opportunity there. That way the community will be more organized, and users will feel more included and involved.

I strongly believe the community will benefit by exploring the option and will turn into a modern forum that is thriving across all the niches.

Sahan (Unofficial Nickname)
StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

What features from Discourse are you looking for?

fkupwork
Community Member

- Recognition for contribution to the community as opposed to the current system of Solutions.
- The ability to get various badges that keep me engaged.
- The ability to create personal group space to build and grow personalized communities to thrive within the UpWork framework
- A more responsive and intuitive look (e.g. Discord is more responsive from smartphones as well as opposed to the current state)

Sahan (Unofficial Nickname)
StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, yes, yes, and yes!  Hopefully in the coming months you'll be happy/surprised as we start to roll out more of those features!

Even with this release we started to enable some of the functionality behind the scenes to prep for it, such as https://community.upwork.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/1550217/page/1 😀

Stan G wrote:

Yes, yes, yes, and yes!  Hopefully in the coming months you'll be happy/surprised as we start to roll out more of those features!

Even with this release we started to enable some of the functionality behind the scenes to prep for it, such as https://community.upwork.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/1550217/page/1 😀

Gah. Churn over value.  I give up.

I S M H wrote:

- Recognition for contribution to the community as opposed to the current system of Solutions.

Gah! No, no, no, no!

When you gamify the forum, you encourage spammy activity and blather—often harmfully misleading—from people who don't know their contract from their proposal.

At some point yesterday, I caught a glimpse of the old solutions leaderboard. Why would we want anything more than that, as proxy for a reliability index?

Douglas Michael M wrote:

I S M H wrote:

Gah! No, no, no, no!

When you gamify the forum, you encourage spammy activity and blather—often harmfully misleading—from people who don't know their contract from their proposal.

At some point yesterday, I caught a glimpse of the old solutions leaderboard. Why would we want anything more than that, as proxy for a reliability index?

This this this this this.

(No more colored text?)

sofia2008
Community Member

Nice touch on the colors for Moderators and Community Manager!

wescowley
Community Member

Haven't seen this mentioned yet: There's a duplicated navigation bar on the bottom of thread pages.

chrome_ZRPECqkkU2.png

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Doh. It was working but I think we broke it when we fixed pagination on the threaded layout view earlier today.  Will get this one added to the list!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths