🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Did not receive connects after interview
Page options
2c724a5e
Community Member

Connects for Interviews Won

This week, we are making two significant changes, we are no longer awarding free Connects for every interview won or disclosing the number of Connects rewarded in these cases. 

Check out the product update for Connects for Interviews Won and let us know your thoughts about this update in the comments below.

280 REPLIES 280
80d96023
Community Member

Thanks for your info.

I highly appreciate it!

Regards,

ian55home
Community Member

I have read the new product update, But I want to clarify. how about our monthly refresh connects do we still have it?

-- edit  I have been answered already.

natafeko
Community Member

Hi, the update is nice to some extent, however, I do not like it. I do not buy a membership for 15 dollars because it is expensive for me and usually, I use only free connects provided at the beginning of each month or after winning an interview. Hence, now I will have only to buy, to buy, and to buy the connects. 

aia_studio
Community Member

From what I see you are doing well on Upwork and buying a membership for 15 usd/month shouldn't be a big deal, it is an overhead no more no less. In addition you should consider the fact that with that update your proposals will have more chance to reach real clients.

P.S: you don't have to buy a membership to buy connects just buy them separately as much as you need and it is actually slightly cheaper.

0ad05123
Community Member

Hello, please I would love to give some suggestions. If upwork is going to stop giving free connects from an interview with clients because of a gaming system that was just discovered then Upwork should change the way we apply for jobs. 

Top rated shouldn't bid for the same jobs with rising talent freelancers and new freelancers on the platform.  

Rising talent freelancers and new freelancers on the platform loses connect faster because of the competition with freelancers with job success score or top rated.

This makes new freelancers on the platform and rising talent freelancers go for the gaming system because there is no money to buy connects back. 

Why would a top-rated freelance be applying for a 1 or 2-connect job where the payment would be ranging from 5-50$? This should be for someone who people who are new to the platform or just got a riding talent badge. 

chinmay-gosswami
Community Member

Hello team,

I didn't get free connects from my last two interviews. Last 48 hours, I win two interviews. From one of them, I get the contract and did the job (it was a small job). Clients already approved the milestone. The other one, the client needs time to send me to contract for their decision purpose.  But I am really disappointed because I didn't get any free connects to both of the interviews.

Can anyone please check the issue and give me an exact reason?  Please don't give any blog links. Just tell me the exact reason.

Thanks in advance.

Chinmay G.

Upwork changed its policy.

Hi Martina,

Thanks for your response. Can you please tell me in detail? By the way, I also got a bonus from the contract I finished yet.

Thank you!

Hey Chinmay,

Upwork has changed its terms on awarding connects after winning an interview.

Their argument is that people are gaming the system to get free connects and that is why they have ended this feature.

I think that is just them trying to get us to buy more connects and that is all. But we can't do anything about this. I also haven't received any connects for 5 interviews☹️.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Product-Updates/Connects-for-Interviews-Won/ba-p/1147321

I focus on my clients (especially invitations) these clients do not 'have to' offer us anything. It is their choice. I am grateful and appreciate 'anything - help' I can receive.  - MaryG.

2f829a1c
Community Member

This is just another attempt to reduce the connects so that freelancers can only buy from Upwork. I don't support this but yeah what can I do about this?

3982aaef
Community Member

Hi Christopher, 

These changes seems to be necessary and timely. But please have a guideline towards new and to those freelancers who have total earning below $1500. Provide them extra connects per week atleast or monthly basis. Buying 100 connects for $15 who has earned around $30 on upwork since 3 months is very tough. Define some criteria for freelancers who have less earnings. We also give 20% as a part of commission, but upwork has never lowered their fees and we accepted it. Now it's your time to think about less earning/small/new freelancers. It's a both way system if we don't get the connects how we will apply to new jobs & how will you took your commission. Not the least, everyone knows how agencies took most of the clients by pretending as a independent freelancer. I hope you will forward this & look for a solution.

RegardsVinod Saini

469b689f
Community Member

I have responded to two clients recently but haven't received any free connects. What might be the reason?

The reason is upwork changed the free connects policy. 

3982aaef
Community Member

Upwork has changed its rule. You might want to look at the new update in the link:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Product-Updates/Connects-for-Interviews-Won/ba-p/1147321

alal444
Community Member

Last 24 and 21 September I was called for interview, but I didn't get bonus connect with connect back of last 2 interviews.

2a05aa63
Community Member

Being invited to interviews never gave any connects.

arminzrb
Community Member

I think this is a good move but will affect the majority of freelancers who have been playing fair.

I mean, I've got around 23 submitted proposals. most of these clients are new and haven't responded to or interviewed anyone, so with the current rule, even if they do respond, I won't get the connects back.

This move will, in the end, helps Upwork charge the freelancers a little bit more by forcing them to buy connects/subscription.

A friendly reminder to Upwork: You need to keep updating and improving, or you'll lose in the game. I see a lot that can be improved on the Upwork platform. I know the year-end balance report is coming for shareholders, and with your share price being halved this year to date, you need some fast remedies...  But maybe thinking longer-term is a better choice.

I made a comment very similar to yours. I think "Upwork" is stumbling on "the stock market" and freelancers are making a career on other platforms in parallel. But your comment is excellent.

f1ecd428
Community Member

I hope this will lower the amount of spammers using fake interviews to gain connects.

2a05aa63
Community Member

It's sad that some people use loopholes wherever they can, so the system had to be more complex.

micere-muriithi
Community Member

But we are still spending money to buy connects to boost proposals and don't get value for money. For example, I boost my bid, and the client interacts with my proposal but does not hire me. Lost connects, lost money. In my opinion, you should review this whole connects thing. Freelancers who are new to Upwork or don't have a good standing obviously can't make it on Upwork. You are also promoting "you need money to make money" which I feel is wrong.

I don't know about you but I include the "Upwork" commission to the client in the contract. I will now also include the $15 connection to a client who hires me. I don't see any other solution.

3982aaef
Community Member

I shortlisted for 4 interviews in the last week and now got contracts from 2 of'em. Both have spend 20k+ on upwork. Its a genuine client and I'm a genuine freelancer. Upwork can review this and give free connects to those freelancers after winning the contract and if client has spend $500 on upwork. Any client who has spend some money and has a verified payment status can't be fake one. Please upvote this so that it will solve most of the arising problem of freelancers and loopholes. Thanks Vinod

Hi Vinod,

Thank you for your message. We are no longer awarding free Connects for every interview won or disclosing the number of Connects rewarded in these cases. Unfortunately, we learned from our community that some dishonest customers were gaming the system to get free Connects they didn’t deserve. We made the changes above in response, to ensure fairness and preserve the value of Connects for those who honestly earn and buy them. Check out our announcement section for more information.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
6e2ab051
Community Member

Hi there,

I won 4 interviews within this week but I am not receiving connect from donotreply for answering the interviews, I want to know why and if possible may you help me get those connects.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mwamba, 

Please know that we are no longer awarding free Connects for every interview won or disclosing the number of Connects rewarded in these cases.

Unfortunately, we learned from our community that some dishonest customers were gaming the system to get free Connects they didn’t deserve. We made these in response, to ensure fairness and preserve the value of Connects for those who honestly earn and buy them. Check out our
 announcement section for more information.

~ Avery
Upwork
6e2ab051
Community Member

Hi Avary,

Yes that is a good move from thy side, not to my side...unfair I did interview with serious clients.. Payment verified and they've spent more than 1k on Upwork, and one will send the contract to me today as agreed and other one will send the contract on 30th Sept, the third we can't work because we didn't agree well in term of payment and the fourth, if you want proof I'll send to you the screenshots of our conversations

Hi Mwamba,

As Avery has mentioned, we do not give out Connects anymore and this applies to every freelancer in Upwork. We can’t share the details when Connects are given out and cannot give specifications on which clients or job listings will merit free Connects when your proposals are responded to as our goal is to eliminate cases of Connects farming. 

We understand that you may not be happy with this change but we felt that it was necessary.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie,

thanks for your response, but on behalf of all new freelancers you are killing us, dear UW helpers.

Hi Mwamba,

I'm sorry you feel that way. Please understand that freelancing is your business, and like any business owner, you have to make investments to sell your products or services. When business is conducted in person, you might take a prospective client to lunch, spend money on a special presentation, or travel to the client’s business or home to discuss the work. With these steps, you are not only marketing your services, you are also showing potential clients that you are serious about your business and invested in building a working relationship with them. Connects are an investment toward your freelance career.

When you use your Connects, you are investing in the opportunity to promote your services to prospective clients. We highly suggest that you think carefully about a project before reaching out to clients in order to not waste Connects and only invest in projects that match your skill set.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thanks, and good luck

Upwork is an agency, it makes money by hiring people to clients and taking a portion of their earnings. We are all working within that agency.

So this is just greed. Upwork wants clients to pay and freelancers to pay, even though they both make money for it.

finally someone who tells the truth and is not afraid of "Upwork," well there are two of us! greetings colleague

Ok you said I'm an "entrepreneur". And like any entrepreneur I will not spend a penny on losses. For example, I already add the "Upwork" commission to the budget of a client who hires me, now I also add the 15 dollars of the connection. And as you will see, I will always win.

monicaguido
Community Member

No cennetcs after my last interview

Hi Monica,

Thank you for your message. We are no longer awarding free Connects for every interview won or disclosing the number of Connects rewarded in these cases. Unfortunately, we learned from our community that some dishonest customers were gaming the system to get free Connects they didn’t deserve. We made the changes above in response, to ensure fairness and preserve the value of Connects for those who honestly earn and buy them. Check out our announcement section for more information.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
saad-jamal
Community Member

Hi I secured a job interview but was not awarded with the connects. Can you please check?

Thank You

Regards

Saad Jamal

Upwork changed their free connects policy. It is much more restrictive now. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths