🐈
» Forums » Support » Improved File Sharing in Messages
Page options
4f19aa7c
Community Manager
Community Manager

Improved File Sharing in Messages

We listened to survey feedback and improved the file sharing experience in Messages.

Check out the product update for Improved File Sharing in Messages and let us know your thoughts about this update in the comments below.

9 REPLIES 9
wescowley
Community Member

Shannon, 

Do you have any screenshots of what this is supposed to look like? I'm not seeing any difference, and in particular, it's still not possible to right-click save-as on a file so it lands in the right place rather than my downloads folder (an issue I raised when the new messages interface was in beta).

Hi Wes,

Sorry about the delayed response. We're working on getting screenshots to better showcase the update in the post. Additionally, at the time of your posting this comment, the experience hadn't been fully rolled out. Now it has been rolled out so you should be able to see it.

As for the Save As option, we checked with the team and the destination depends on the browser settings. It is not something Upwork can influence. For example, in Chrome that setting would look like this:

kochubei_valeria_0-1663261172522.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Wes,

Sorry about the delayed response. We're working on getting screenshots to better showcase the update in the post. Additionally, at the time of your posting this comment, the experience hadn't been fully rolled out. Now it has been rolled out so you should be able to see it.

Hi Valeria, thanks for the response. I just reloaded the message page, and there is no difference in the display. There is nothing that looks like what the original post describes.

As for the Save As option, we checked with the team and the destination depends on the browser settings. It is not something Upwork can influence. For example, in Chrome that setting would look like this:

kochubei_valeria_0-1663261172522.png

With respect, they are wrong. The point is that I do not want the file to land in the Chrome downloads folder. I want to be able to save it to a client-specific folder like I could before the new messages format was implemented.

The messages page is explicitly coded to trigger a download when you click a file, because the link in the message is to "download.html" rather than to the file itself. The download.html file triggers the download. You cannot do a right-click "save as" to save the attached file in a specified location.

If you right-click on a file attached to a job post, you have the option to "save as" and save the attached file wherever you want. This is the behavior I want, and this is the behavior that worked previously in messages before the new version.

If you do that on the file in the new messages page, the file that is saved is "download.html", not the attached file. 

The new messages format broke this functionality. I reported this in beta and then reverted to the old format because the new download method adds extra steps in my workflow.

Thanks

Wes

Wes, 

Thanks for following up on this! I have been sharing this with our product team and we've logged this as a future improvement. I don't have a timeline yet, but I'll update this thread once any changes are made. 
Meanwhile, you should still be able to configure your browser settings to ask where to save each file before downloading. On Chrome that option is available under Settings> Downloads. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Wes, 

Thanks for following up on this! I have been sharing this with our product team and we've logged this as a future improvement. I don't have a timeline yet, but I'll update this thread once any changes are made. 
Meanwhile, you should still be able to configure your browser settings to ask where to save each file before downloading. On Chrome that option is available under Settings> Downloads. 

Thanks for the update, Valeria. 

To be clear, that workaround of changing the download path really isn't viable. Sure, it's possible, but it's several more steps than what's already been imposed on us by the change in how "save as" works on the messages page, including having to put the setting back to the default downloads folder after each save in order to prevent random files being placed in random client folders.

Wes, I'd like to circle back here and let you know that an update was recently released (you may need to refresh your browser to make sure you don't see the older cached version.) When right-clicking on an attachment in Messages, you should now see a "Save link as" option that will then let you select a location when downloading that file. 
I hope this helps!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria,

Thanks very much. I just verified this on a few attachments in messages and it is working. 

Wes

Valeria K wrote:

Wes, 

Thanks for following up on this! I have been sharing this with our product team and we've logged this as a future improvement repair. I don't have a timeline yet, but I'll update this thread once any changes are the restoration of function is made. 

Fixed it for you. You're welcome.

Ditto everything Wes said. Also want to point out this is the kind of thing that prompts users to move work flow off the platform which is not ideal from the standpoint of preserving a project archive. [gently bangs head on desktop] 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths