🐈
» Forums » Support » Marketplace Updates: Boosted Proposals and Co...
Page options
4f19aa7c
Community Manager
Community Manager

Marketplace Updates: Boosted Proposals and Connects

Two new Marketplace updates: 

1. Introduced a fourth slot in Boosted Proposals, increasing your chances of being noticed, while continuing to let clients see who is most interested in their job post.
  2. Adjusted the range for the cost of Connects per job to better match the demand for jobs in the Marketplace.

Check out the product release for Marketplace Updates: Boosted Proposals and Connects and let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

603 REPLIES 603
rolludesig
Community Member

Can the number of connects be fixed for each job like its was earlier 2 connects per job..it is rather becoming a a very costly affair now spending unlimited number of connects on jobs where clients never bother to reply and on what basis connects per job are decided..at times even a small job is worth 8 connects and it is not right at all.

and last but not least bid boost need to go please...

ahmad_shah97
Community Member

Hello,

I am a top rated plus developer with 100% JSS. I have been getting steady work on upwork for the past two years. But recently, I am seeing a decline in the quality of jobs being posted. I am an Angular developer and can't seem to find any good jobs anymore.

Can someone please take a look at my profile and check what I may be missing. Is it Upwork? is it over-crowded? There seems to be tons of proposal being sent on a job that has just been posted a few minutes ago. Moreover, With the new boosted connects system, it seems like I have to now spend upwards of 80 connects sometimes just to get the client to view my proposal. 

I would appreciate any help & guidance from my fellow freelancers. 

Thanks

Your profile needs opimization to get maximum interviews. 

Can you give me some tips to improve my profile? I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks

d62efbac
Community Member

I am very disappointed in this platform it is arranged so that only connects buy the more the better

bestcoverdesigns
Community Member

More frustrating, I spend HUNDREDS of dollars on proposals, to be hired only on a limited number of projects.

bestcoverdesigns_0-1683144071272.png

ri3dviz
Community Member

Now instead of 6 connects to apply to a low ball job it's 8 connects, now my feed gives me wedding planner job listings, video camera opperators listings, web site developer listings and I'm an Architect!
Are you purposely trying to rid the place of good talent because you're going to succeed.

Look like yes.

sajal36
Community Member

I believe you need to thumb down the job not matching your skills in your feed. Once you select your job related skills and custom search saved than those job will start appearing in your feed to some extent. I believe that's how the algo is learning..

ri3dviz
Community Member

I tried that they also told me how to reset the feed neither is working. They obviously have changed things and not for the better.

sajal36
Community Member

I believe at minimum the the "Best matches feed" is dispalying 60% relevant results. Just try a wild search on job by simply pressing enter on blank field and then from the category on left menu select your relevant category. Check if that is dispalying relevant result.

ri3dviz
Community Member

Trust me I've been here since day one, they made changes. In my feed right now, web designer, costume wearing sign holder at a local business, content writer, photographer. In the past maybe a few would slip through now it's we'll over 50% non-related to my preferences.

sajal36
Community Member

I agree on the 50% relevant in the feed. I too get only 60% relevant in my feed and for the same reason I always use saved searches each time to ensure I am able to review all relevant job post.

ri3dviz
Community Member

There is a button/link that is my set preferences if I use that it goes straight to my occupation relevant posts. I didn't have to do that before.
Regardless, I hope to get out of here asap, it's impossible to make a good living in my line of work on this platform. Fortunately I have clients from my outside work that are repeat, the time on Upwork has helped but It's no longer worth the time and effort for such low paying work.

sajal36
Community Member

I believe you can give it a try to another option - You can create your custom search and save the same. The customer search comes as sub option under the Myfeed.. This is a useful feature if My feed is not giving desire result.. 

sfscubarob
Community Member

I've been on Upwork long enough to see a few changes in things, and it seems like there was a significant change in finding new clients when the bidding system was brought online.

Am I the only one feeling that way?

ri3dviz
Community Member

Why aren't the cost of connects predicated by the fee a client is willing to pay? A $100.00 job listing in the USA should not be 6 or 8 connects.

92923b0f
Community Member

If I am in a supermarket queue and I am maybe the 15th customer. Is it Ok to give the cashier some money to be the first to leave the line? And how this will make other people waiting feel? They are here for the same reason I am. 

It is turning into a gambling game. I saw people throwing 200 connects on a job that never got hired for 2 weeks now. 

I got here first so I need to be seen first. I do not like the idea of rich people taking my place just because they can. 

I am a new freelancer who spend a lot of time searching  and searching all the day and trying to find a decent opportunity so I can prove myself not to see people jumping over my shoulder.

I am really considering another platforms just because of this feature.

work-fu
Community Member

Mohamed A wrote:

If I am in a supermarket queue and I am maybe the 15th customer. Is it Ok to give the cashier some money to be the first to leave the line? And how this will make other people waiting feel? They are here for the same reason I am. 

I don't think this is an apt analogy.

In supermakets, the customers are actually the Upwork clients; we, the freelancers, are the supermakets. In reality, supermarkets compete with eachother, through prices, services, etc. And the state, with its imposed regulations, would be Upwork.

Now, in keeping with this analogy, you and many others claim that the "state" (Upwork) came up with a stupid "regulation", by allowing the supermarkets to invest in advertising as much as their pockets allow them. But, that's what actually happens in a free-market economy. I don't personally like it, but I'm not sure banning advertising is a good idea, at least not until someone comes with a better idea for how a free-market should function.

p.s. I've never boosted, but I'm starting to consider it, to see if I'm maybe missing out, since for every job I'm applying, there are boosted proposals. Wisdom of the crowds comes in mind, maybe it's worth it since lots of people are doing it, methinks.

ihabf
Community Member

The proposal boosting doesn't make sense at all.

The problem is that Upwork most probably don't take feedback from these discussions here, and sure they don't take actions based on suggestions made in these forums. Otherwie they should have known already that MOST freelancers are negatively affected by this boosting feature.

It was argued that they did this to limit the number of proposals per job posting. Many freelancers proposed alternatives, including myself, in different threads. There are lots of other laternatives and smarter routes to take in order to limit the number of proposals... but it seems they don't listen, they don't want to listen. Meanwhile too many freelancers are frustrated, and rarely getting any job anymore, I'm one of them..... it's sad how things are turning out to be.

numbsain
Community Member

Why let you know? We all hate the boosted proposal feature and nobody in Upwork reads our complaints. It's a waste of time. As Upwork is beginning to be since this stupid feature. And the availability badge too. Business is dead here.

raman477
Community Member

I recently checked the **Edited for Community Guidelines** proposals I submitted for various client jobs and was surprised to find that only a small percentage of them actually led to me being hired. Out of the last 35 proposals I submitted, only 7 or 8 clients ended up hiring someone for the job they posted.

What's more surprising is that even though these jobs were already filled, more than 20 of the proposals I submitted are still boosted. This means that my proposals are still being displayed to potential clients, even though the job has already been completed.

I believe that **Edited for Community Guidelines** should work on improving its proposal system. For example, they could consider returning connects for proposals that don't result in a hire, or putting a time limit on client jobs to prevent proposals from being boosted after the job is already filled.

As a freelancer, I want to be able to use Upwork effectively and efficiently to find new clients and grow my business. I hope that by sharing my experience, Upwork will take steps to improve its platform and make it more fair and transparent for freelancers and clients alike.

aelmario
Community Member

Guys, I have a question,

Can someone explain why they increased the number of connects required to bid for $5 - $50 jobs?

This is a real rip-off for those who cannot afford to buy many connects ... It used to be very convenient before when we could bid 1 or 2 connects for small jobs ... now it requires 4 connects to be spent for $5 - $10 jobs & if someone wants to boost it, they will spend on connects much more than they earn ... What is the point here? Why did Upwork increase the number of connects for bidding???

Elmar A wrote:

Guys, I have a question,

Can someone explain why they increased the number of connects required to bid for $5 - $50 jobs?

This is a real rip-off for those who cannot afford to buy many connects ... It used to be very convenient before when we could bid 1 or 2 connects for small jobs ... now it requires 4 connects to be spent for $5 - $10 jobs & if someone wants to boost it, they will spend on connects much more than they earn ... What is the point here? Why did Upwork increase the number of connects for bidding???

Maybe to earn more money? 🤔

Sure - but at the expense of the people who use the platform. Now you may have to pay up to $7.50 dollars (50 connects) just to bid on a job. Spending money and connects that you may not see back at all. That adds up for many people - especially at the moment. It works well for Upwork, not so much for everyone else.

Glen S wrote:

Sure - but at the expense of the people who use the platform. Now you may have to pay up to $7.50 dollars (50 connects) just to bid on a job. Spending money and connects that you may not see back at all. That adds up for many people - especially at the moment. It works well for Upwork, not so much for everyone else.

I don't like the "impulse".
I do not use it, and even so and the few and bad works that I see lately, I have received responses. That in the end they have not materialized in jobs is another matter.
Upwork is a company and they can do what they want, unfortunately sometimes, but it is what it is.
Take it or leave it.
We protest, for this and other things, but they decide in the end.

glen-s
Community Member

You are absolutely right. It's a rip off and Upwork are doing it to claw back their continued losses. Previously, freelancers were pitched against each based on skill and experience. Now, it's financial based first and foremost - so if you can't afford it, you lose out. A mini-capitalist game if you like created for the benefit of the owners of this place.

work-fu
Community Member

It's a "quick and dirty" way of increasing short term profit. Of course, it's also shortsighted, because if this is an incentive for clients to hire whomever is at the top instead of going through all or almost all proposals, chances of hiring the best match are decreased. That will result in a lower satisfaction for the client and long term, lower profits for Upwork.

Unfortunately this is an universal phenomena in companies that reach a certain size - the upper management will do anything to show they're worth their salaries and the future be damned because "hey, who knows where I'll be after X amount of years when the company goes under". This system is broken, because the people at the wheel are divorced or at best indiferent, from the well being and continuation of the company, unlike family businesses where profit and brand legacy are synonymous.

I've never boosted and never will, because I don't want those clients that choose based on that.

Cat N wrote:

It's a "quick and dirty" way of increasing short term profit. Of course, it's also shortsighted, because if this is an incentive for clients to hire whomever is at the top instead of going through all or almost all proposals, chances of hiring the best match are decreased. That will result in a lower satisfaction for the client and long term, lower profits for Upwork.

Unfortunately this is an universal phenomena in companies that reach a certain size - the upper management will do anything to show they're worth their salaries and the future be damned because "hey, who knows where I'll be after X amount of years when the company goes under". This system is broken, because the people at the wheel are divorced or at best indiferent, from the well being and continuation of the company, unlike family businesses where profit and brand legacy are synonymous.

I've never boosted and never will, because I don't want those clients that choose based on that.

Well, there are clients who either go from looking at the promoted proposals or they look at them like the others.
Not all of them, there are clients who are also freelancers here, they will be based on the first paid positions to choose a freelancer, luckily.

gihan0330
Community Member

It's unfair to get 6-8 connections for low-budget projects. even if it's a good project we will not be able to survive by getting 1-2 projects per month. I'm planning to leave this platform.

fbd54129
Community Member

upwork bidding amount has increased in last month. Any reason for that? since we are getting less response after this feature.

Please suggest so that we can get into a deal.

yofazza
Community Member

Look here.

veepress
Community Member

I guess all the things the teach and preach about user inclusive and equitable platform are all lies, if Upwork can not implement equity and freelancer inclusive platform, then there is a problem somewhere. There decision making team needs to be more rational and practical.

glen-s
Community Member

Naturally. Always be wary of any profit making company that declares itself to be 'inclusive' in any way. They will co-opt movements and anything deemed to be 'progressive' to their advantage to use them as branding and selling points. Upwork has no interest in being a 'fair' and 'equitable' platform. These ideas are dropped in a second if profits are threatened or affected in any way.

Community Member

I just saw a big rise in connect price- now some jobs cost 16 connects for fixed budget of 30$, that's insane. So technically to win a job you have to pay more than there is earn potential. Some jobs don't even hire anyone, there is a big connection waste for freelancers. This platform is slowly becoming unprofitable for freelancers, especially new ones.

dalibor_druzinec
Community Member

It's 12 now?! Edit: nope, even more, found one for 16 (is that even max?)🤣
Cmmon! There is no justifying this. You'd like to lower the number of proposals per job?
Sure, make it 1000 connects per job and be done with it.
Maybe you should raise the max boost to 100 000 while you are at it.
And don't forget to push more fake jobs...

You really need to think about your policy. I'd welcome a fair change like repaying the connects where the job owner does not look at any proposals.
But that would lower your profit margins, and that's not a priority, is it?

Why be fair, when you bow to almighty $?

Eye  is so great

I feel like they're doing good in terms of reducing the number of active freelancers.
At least I consider pausing my work and prospecting on Upwork, so props to you, Upwork!

zubairhusnain58
Community Member

there are very deficult to get job by proposal at upwork after boost option anyone can suggest me the best and easist way

Screenshot.jpg

It's really frustrating to see these bidders. Upwork should eliminate the boosting system. Also, they should charge the clients for job postings, not the freelancers who want to work on this platform. Fake clients will not spam on Upwork if they get charged. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths