🐈
» Forums » Support » Requested Features and Bug Fixes
Page options
2c724a5e
Community Member

Requested Features and Bug Fixes

We’ve been diligently working to add features and address issues that clients and freelancers shared with us. Many of these features and fixes are now accessible to everyone.

Check out the announcement for Requested Features and Bug Fixes and let us know your thoughts about these updates in the comments below.

22 REPLIES 22
bookcoverdesign
Community Member

Still can't scroll messages using the Firefox browser. This was never an issue before the new and (cough cough) "improved" messaging system was implemented. The easy fix for ALL the problems with the new messaging system would have been to simply scrap it altogether and go back to the old system which, for the most part, worked just fine.

Hi Gary Val,

Our team wasn't able to reproduce the issue you're describing with the two latest Firefox versions both on Mac and Windows. Could you please share more information about what OS and browser version you're using? 

~ Valeria
Upwork
federico18
Community Member

Great updates, 
Specially the Linking previews!
I would like to request an upwork time tracker for Chrome OS!  This is very much needed, or do you know a workaround for a Pixelbook Go? I created this post to reflect on the issue trying a Linux passage.

Hi Federico, I'm glad you find these updates helpful.

I'll also make sure to pass your feedback about Upwork Desktop App compatibility with Chrome OS on to the team. While some Community members have shared that they've made it work, Chrome operating system is currently not officially supported by the Upwork Desktop App (tracker) and we don't have additional information about when it may become supported.

~ Valeria
Upwork
bookcoverdesign
Community Member

Mac OS 10.11.6

The Firefox version is 78.15.0.

I can access my messages but only the most current ones are displayed (maybe 2 or 3 messages or whatever happens to fit within the display window depending on the length of the messages) and I can't scroll the messages back to view any of the previous messages. In other words, the messages that are displayed are essentially frozen.

Thanks for following up with more information, Gary Val. Please, note that we officially support the latest two versions of Mozilla Firefox. Unfortunately, issues may occure on older versions that aren't officially supported. You can find more information about it here

~ Valeria
Upwork
f4ea786c
Community Member

The fixes are great but my time tracker has not worked since. All time tracked since Tuesday is gone.... and I have lost a few hours. How do  I fix the lost connection (no captures yet where my screenshot used to be on the time tracker), even after uninstalling, reinstalling, checking internet options, etc? I have so much work to finish on my hourly contract.

researchediting
Community Member

These are the added features that are now available to clients and freelancers:

• Linking previews

Could you be a bit less cryptic/jargony in your announcements? For example, what and where are these previews, and why would I want to link to them?

In the bug section, I can hazard a guess at what you mean by "stories"—threads?—but you know, there are sophisticated users here who might not be up to speed on the latest Newspeak. Hint: Managing business correspondence does not typically involve "stories."

[edited to add:

And could we please have, as others have asked, properly resizable windows for longer workroom text messages?]

Hi Michael, 

Thanks for sharing your feedback about the language used for this update. 

Link previews is a common feature on a lot of messaging platforms including Upwork Messages. When you insert a link in your message, it'll show a short description of that that link is and a thumbnail if it's available. Community members refer to that feature by its name, here for example. 
"Story" is a term used for various type of content in a message room and would include not only messages sent by the members of the room but also other automatic notifications, events and updates. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Michael, 

Thanks for sharing your feedback about the language used for this update. 

Link previews is a common feature on a lot of messaging platforms including Upwork Messages. When you insert a link in your message, it'll show a short description of that that link is and a thumbnail if it's available. Community members refer to that feature by its name, here for example. 
"Story" is a term used for various type of content in a message room and would include not only messages sent by the members of the room but also other automatic notifications, events and updates. 

Thank you, Valeria.

So the feature is "link previews," which I would have understood—not "linking previews," which means something entirely different. Perhaps this should be corrected.

And "story" sounds like a generic term lumping messages to and from our clients with announcements, promotions, and whatever else Upwork wants to insert into our working space. (Those all might be the same to Upwork. To those of us who value our time and our screen real estate, they're not.

/minirant)

bwest_design
Community Member

I'm still unable to favorite messages or rooms. I've tried in multiple browsers, including Chrome and Firefox. I believe I briefly had the feature available a few weeks ago for about a day, and then it disappeared again. It has not returned since this announcement was made.

Hi Brett, 

I just checked and couldn't replicate the issue. Adding both rooms and messages to favorites works for me. Could you please share a bit more details about what you experience? Do you see the option to favorite but get some sort of error or nothing happens when you click it? Also could you please share what version of browsers you're using? 

kochubei_valeria_0-1658420061863.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm only just now seeing that you'd followed up on my message.

These options are still not available to me, and I just tested this again in Brave, Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. Finally, I also checked in the messaging feature that's built into the time tracker app on Windows 11.  I don't even have a three dot menu on the rooms in the sidebar like in your screenshot. There is also no heart icon to favorite individual messages as there had been for a day or so several weeks back. All of this makes me think this has to be somehow tied to my account.

Here are the various browser versions I've tried:

Brave: Version 1.42.88 Chromium: 104.0.5112.81

Chrome: 104.0.5112.81

Firefox: 103.0.1 (64-bit)

Edge: 104.0.1293.47

Upwork Time Tracker (Windows 11): Version 5.6.10.13 (FE2215)

Brett, 

I've been discussing this with the team and we still aren't able to replicate this issue even when we check your account. Could you please try viewing messages in an incognito window of an up-to-date supported browser and let us know if you still don't see the option?

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Apologies again for the delayed response. I haven't been getting notifications of replies, but I've now subscribed to this thread and found the notification settings, so hopefully I'll see your responses more quickly now!

Anyway, I just tried again in an incognito window in Chrome Version 105.0.5195.54 (Official Build) (64-bit). I got the same results I'm seeing in all browsers. FYI, I'm also completely unable to edit messages after I post them. I was able to in the old version of messages but can't in this version due to the lack of any options. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a current feature or not, but I thought I'd mention it just in case it is.

EDIT: I've attached a couple screenshots so you can see the lack of options; one is my lefthand sidebar, and the other shows some individual messages.

Screenshot 2022-08-30 142143.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-30 141307.jpg

Just an update, but I ended up chatting with Upwork support, and we were able to troubleshoot the issue and finally narrowed it down to the fact that I'm using a touchscreen PC. I normally work with a Surface Pro connected to an external monitor and use a USB keyboard. Upwork's messaging system changes when using a touch screen, so that you have to touch and hold the messages in order to get the context menus. The solution I found was to keep my Surface keyboard attached to the device in order to prevent Upwork from switching to touch mode in the browser or the desktop time tracking app. A regular USB keyboard doesn't prevent this switch from happening. Just wanted to post this here in case it can help any other users that happen to run into similar problems. I know this specific setup is probably fairly unique.

ff594628
Community Member

Why do I have to read the whole Job Ad before I learn it is only for residents from one country?

Do you want me to get discouraged and feel like I'm wasting time reading job ads as a freelancer?

Why do I even see this job ad at all if making a proposal, in this case, would be spamming the client with unuseful proposals? 

Do you want clients to have more proposals that are meaningless?

dixit_patel89
Community Member

On this page https://www.upwork.com/nx/find-work/most-recent when hitting the search button without entering anything it searches with "null"

Hi Dixit,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the error message. I tried but wasn’t able to replicate the issue you’re describing. Could you please try using a different browser or the incognito mode of your current browser? You may also try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies. Also note that we only officially support the latest two versions of Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari. Feel free to message us if the issue persists.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

I checked again with the incognito windows it's still showing me.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank 

Hi Dixit,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~Andrea
Upwork
Community Member

To share feedback or ask questions, join the community discussion for Requested Features and Bug Fixes.

Since this is apparently the official forum for feature requests, here goes:

Please, PLEASE add a dark mode to both the website and the app! There are multiple discussions (e.g. Coffee Break/Dark Theme and Coffee Break/Dark Mode - If ever you are passing my way) requesting this with massive support! Sure there are browser extensions and other experimental browser features that can force the page to be dark, but those are global browser settings that negatively impact some websites and have no effect on the app.

Also, the app's Messaging section stops updating on Windows 11 whenever the computer goes to sleep or hibernation. I currently have to end all of the Upwork application processes in the Task Manager (whether active or background) to force a restart of the app. Only then will chat rooms update.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths