🐈 Community
zkutch
Member

0 available connects

Dear Friends,

 

I have 0 available connects, though my new Billing Cycle started.

 

What should I do?

 

Thanks in advance.

62 REPLIES 62
lysis10
Member

buy more

 

If you have a premium subscription, you have 2 more hours to wait.

I am aware of the opportunity to buy new , thanks.


My question is why I do not have new available connects,  those that should appear anew in the new Billing Cycle.
They were supposed to appear in a new Billing Cycle, but did not appear, although it had begun.

 


zkutch z wrote:

I am aware of the opportunity to buy new , thanks.


My question is why I do not have new available connects,  those that should appear anew in the new Billing Cycle.
They were supposed to appear in a new Billing Cycle, but did not appear, although it had begun.

 


Are you on a premium membership? If not, you gotta buy them or wait 1.5 hours if you have a premium membership.

Thanks Jennifer M

 

My membership is basic free.

There are still 0 connections and I am still waiting.

Ok so you have to buy them. No free connects no more.

 

Thanks Noureldin Y.

My membership plan is basic free, so I am not paying for it.

 

And now is 4:07 AM Tbilisi, Georgia and still 0 connections.

Thanks Maria P

 

If I understand correctly, the upwork has changed its policy to afford free connections and does not provide miminal amount for free every billing cycle.


If this is so, then firstly it would be fair to warn users about this - I did not receive such a warning, such warning. More. They force me to take video conversation to confirm my person and after this close free connections politics. Strange, at least.

Secondly, it seems completely not business to demand to buy a product that did not generate income. I did not make even one cent on upwork and pay, without this, for something here is nonsense.


If the site does not provide the possibility of free work, then I will join those users who will leave to work on other platforms.

 

let me repeat that this is absolutely not a business approach. By delivering free bids, they could receive income without expences and refuse it shows that the business model of upwork is going to die.

This change was announced 6 months ago ... there was ample warning. It was also announced repeatedly via a popup on our account page.

Hi Virginia F

 

6 month ago  and till last week my account was suspended due to video confirmation of my person. Then I confirmed it at last and obtaint "gift" for it - 0 connections in new billing cycle.

If you are from stuff and can check it, then look if there were "repeatedly via a popup " warnings at my account? I saw nothing. There was not warning - such warnings should be written in big red letters in front, not somewhere in petit text.

I am not against to buy connections, but only in case, then it is clearly indicated from scratch and not as changing rules somewhere in underground. I am ready to do it even now if somebody answer me from my bids.

But buy connections without having business on upwork? As I said it is nonsense - it is not business suggestion. Of course, upwork may be will live little time more, basis on existing workers, but without fresh air, fresh blood, without new freelancers it will at last go to knowhere.


zkutch z wrote:

Of course, upwork may be will live little time more, basis on existing workers, but without fresh air, fresh blood, without new freelancers it will at last go to knowhere.


Upwork has way, WAY too many freelancers.Every single day, another 10.000 try to join, of which 98% are rejected. The chance of Upwork running out of freelancers any time soon is nil.

 


zkutch z wrote:

 

But buy connections without having business on upwork? As I said it is nonsense - it is not business suggestion.


Don't then. You have made Upwork absolutely nothing at this point, so whether you stay or go makes no difference. If you consider it a poor business decision, close your account and be done with it. Simple.

 


Petra R wrote:

zkutch z wrote:

Of course, upwork may be will live little time more, basis on existing workers, but without fresh air, fresh blood, without new freelancers it will at last go to knowhere.


Upwork has way, WAY too many freelancers.Every single day, another 10.000 try to join, of which 98% are rejected. The chance of Upwork running out of freelancers any time soon is nil.


 

If  98%  new workers rejected, exactly this mean end of business life. It is no "Way". Try write down on upwork header - "upwork is for 2%" - and you will see what will happen.

 

And who can give documented answer how many lost upwork after discussed decision?

On another hand, of course, may be upwork continue living, but without now existing so thinking persons. It is personal end.




zkutch z wrote:

 

But buy connections without having business on upwork? As I said it is nonsense - it is not business suggestion.


Don't then. You have made Upwork absolutely nothing at this point, so whether you stay or go makes no difference. If you consider it a poor business decision, close your account and be done with it. Simple.

 


It's offtop.

I did not ask advice about closing or changing account. Simple. And it is simple lie, that I made nothing. It is enough to check my activities. 

 

 

In this situation, meaning can only have a response from the official staff. I did not find way how to contact them (not to bot, but human) directly  and shall be grateful for answer in this direction.

 



In this situation, meaning can only have a response from the official staff.


Why do you want to waste more time to get the same answer "There will be no more free connects" from staff?

 

You can read all about it here

 




. And it is simple lie, that I made nothing. It is enough to check my activities. 

Oh? So you lied when you claimed not to have made one Cent?

 

not one cent.jpg






. And it is simple lie, that I made nothing. It is enough to check my activities. 

Oh? So you lied when you claimed not to have made one Cent?

 

not one cent.jpg


It is not same "not to have made one Cent" and "made nothing". Do you understand or need more clearings? Why you think that I don’t remember what I said, much more, wrote?

 

 


Petra R wrote:


In this situation, meaning can only have a response from the official staff.


Why do you want to waste more time to get the same answer "There will be no more free connects" from staff?

 

You can read all about it here


 And thanks Petra R, Community Guru, for care of my time.

And for a very good question.
It may be a little childish and naive, but I believe that when I explain the truth to an understanding and decision making person, that I saw warning about new rules for connections for the first time in this chat, a certain mutual agreement can be reached. I met one good young men, during video confirmation, for example. Most of those whom I proposed cooperation simply do not respond and also do not hire. Maybe is possible to reuse these bids in this one time case. Maybe I can move my offers to another project and earn there to buy new connections. Maybe there is another solution.
And, please, note that you did not answer my question about direct contact. Being a member, even Guru, you cannot predict what the staf will answer in my case.

 


zkutch z wrote:

It may be a little childish and naive, but I believe that when I explain the truth to an understanding and decision making person, that I saw warning about new rules for connections for the first time in this chat, a certain mutual agreement can be reached. I met one good young men, during video confirmation, for example. Most of those whom I proposed cooperation simply do not respond and also do not hire. Maybe is possible to reuse these bids in this one time case. Maybe I can move my offers to another project and earn there to buy new connections. Maybe there is another solution.

You might want to read this thread. Thousands of freelancers have complained about having to pay for connects since the new policy was introduced. Do you think that Upwork gave everyone free connects when they complained? 


Christine A wrote:

You might want to read this thread. Thousands of freelancers have complained about having to pay for connects since the new policy was introduced. Do you think that Upwork gave everyone free connects when they complained? 


Thanks Christine A.

If "Thousands have complained .. " for new policy, this means, that it have mistakes. It means, that not everything was done and is going correct. It is exactly bad business decision, about which I wrote earlier. As to your question, then, I wrote, it is little naive, but it is possible to make individual decision in individual cases. Each semester I work with 150-300 student. I work individually with each of them.

It is easy to disrespect and not care, but this does not mean, that this should be done. It’s harder to understand, but this is exactly what people need.

 


zkutch z wrote:

Christine A wrote:

You might want to read this thread. Thousands of freelancers have complained about having to pay for connects since the new policy was introduced. Do you think that Upwork gave everyone free connects when they complained? 


Thanks Christine A.

If "Thousands have complained .. " for new policy, this means, that it have mistakes. It means, that not everything was done and is going correct. It is exactly bad business decision, about which I wrote earlier. As to your question, then, I wrote, it is little naive, but it is possible to make individual decision in individual cases. Each semester I work with 150-300 student. I work individually with each of them.

It is easy to disrespect and not care, but this does not mean, that this should be done. It’s harder to understand, but this is exactly what people need.

 


I suggest you search the forum for the threads where freelancers QQ'd about the 20% commission increase. See how far that got them.


zkutch z wrote:


If "Thousands have complained .. " for new policy, this means, that it have mistakes.

 


Not neccesarily, it depends on percentages. 

 

4000 complaining from a group of 5000 = 80% so yes, big problems

 

4000 complaining from a group of 5,000,000 = 0.08% so NO - not that big of a deal!

 

I have no idea how many freelancers are on the platform, but im sure i saw a figure of around 2,000,000 ACTIVE freelancers plus many many many more INACTIVE freelancers.

 

The majority of major complaints i have seen about the new system have been from people that dont yet have work, so this indicates to me, that its mostly (but not all) the people upwork hope to remove from the system.

 

In either case I dont think Upwork will alter things as they have made thier business strategy quite clear and paid connects looks to be a firm part of that system.

 

 

Hi Jonathan H

 

perhaps it’s better not to waste time explaining the trivial properties of percent. Moreover, in some cases it doesn’t matter from how much amount percentage is taken: for example, if we are talking about the death of a child, then ,for me, even one case is a disaster. Politicians and economists can twist numbers as they want, but for me, the health and life of even one child is the most important.

Let me also disagree with the fact that you do not consider it a problem, that basically people who have no results at the upwork complain about the change. This confirms my idea that new workers will be scared off, since it is the new worker who does not have anything done.

These people will not disappear due to the fact that the upwork will not accept or remove them. They will go to other sites. This is the lost money for the upwork.



perhaps it’s better not to waste time explaining the trivial properties of percent. Moreover, in some cases it doesn’t matter from how much amount percentage is taken: for example, if we are talking about the death of a child, then ,for me, even one case is a disaster. Politicians and economists can twist numbers as they want, but for me, the health and life of even one child is the most important.

 

Yes, you are correct in the context you are talking about (which coincidentaly is not refering to percentages), but in THIS context, (the one YOU started) percentages makes a HUGE difference - As i already pointed out, if a tiny percentage dont like the change then Upwork are not likely to be bothered - whereas if 99.9% of people complained about the same thing they would probably be more likely to listen.  Things are not black and white, you cant please everyone all of the time. With any change there will always be some that dont like it.

 

Let me also disagree with the fact that you do not consider it a problem, that basically people who have no results at the upwork complain about the change. This confirms my idea that new workers will be scared off, since it is the new worker who does not have anything done.

 

Granted - you may disagree. 

As for 'new workers being scared off' - I am fairly new and have not been scared off - If it scares of some freelancers though, then yes that is indeed part of the plan - By upworks own admission.

 

 

These people will not disappear due to the fact that the upwork will not accept or remove them. They will go to other sites. This is the lost money for the upwork.

 

Yes freelancers are free to work on whichever sites works for thier individual business model. 

 

No this isnt lost money for upwork, thier are MILLIONS of freelancers trying to get in on jobs, if you leave there is plenty of others that will take your place - It wont make any difference to Upwork.

 

I am right in the context of which I began to write. Make solutions depending on percent is error of many decision systems, as it leads to inhuman decisions. When is for 51% and against % 49 one cannot not care about % 49. Everyone already knows this. But even in the case of 0.01% against, one cannot not care of these people. The point is not to do pleasant things for all people, but to be fair with everyone. And this is just my case. It is necessary to be fair to just one person, because if you have broken the law even in 0.01% of cases, then you are already a violator of the law.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Zkuthc,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you and I understand your frustration with this. Could you please check your junk and spam folders for any notifications about this change, more specifically around July? 
I would also like to confirm that when freelancers were changed to our new connect plan a pop up was also set up to be shown on the freelancer home page. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran V

 

I already checked it twice. I used also automatic search. But, ok, everybody can make mistakes, I'll do it third time.

 

Let me say, that if you ask for an official message from yahoo.com about your warning, I will agree and will write my confirmation officially to yahoo to disclose you this info.

I’ll even write them myself with a request to send you an official letter about receiving a message from you with the text of interest .

As about pop up, I can only say that the only thing I met was a warning about the identity confirmation video, that I made, as you can check. Also I would like to thank you for your attitude.


Jennifer M wrote:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**



The expressions "Nobody cares", "Upwork doesn't care either way" are impolite expressions on the one hand and the imposition of one’s thoughts from another point of view. How can you speak on behalf of everyone, or even on behalf of upwork? Please, be a little more reasonable.

 

 

Again, every word you say is disrespectful and impolite. Once you have chosen rudeness in the conversation, then I believe that your comments are thoughtless, unfounded and I will not read them or comment on them, as this will only provoke you to be very impolite. I suggest leaving me with more adequate interlocutors.



zkutch z wrote:

Again, every word you say is disrespectful and impolite. Once you have chosen rudeness in the conversation, then I believe that your comments are thoughtless, unfounded and I will not read them or comment on them, as this will only provoke you to be very impolite. I suggest leaving me with more adequate interlocutors.


Let me tell you nicely and politely:

 

Free connects are a thing of the past.

You may, if it pleases you, take out a monthly membership and get 70 connects per month from that.

If you do not wish to do this, you may buy connects.

If you don't want to do that either, you can't apply for jobs.

 

It does not matter how facts are conveyed, it does not change the facts.

 

Thanks Petra R

 

Let me say firstly, that politely speaking is not option (as I found some "Guru" of this chat thinks different and even is proud from her impoliteness, though I warned her from it), it is default/normal style human relation. But, anyway, I thank you above.

 

Secondly, facts, of course, remain constant, but info about facts can be significantly damaged during conveying. It is the most used trick in the world.

 

And last and main:

Your answer or is offical upwork answer, or is not such. In last case, I already wrote this, it is only some member's opinion and so shouldn't be suggested.

Or it is offical upwork answer, but I need it be confirmed as such. These are facts.

 

And I know what to do in both cases, do not worry, please. I need know to which one I am dealing with.


zkutch z wrote:

Thanks Petra R

 

Let me say firstly, that politely speaking is not option (as I found some "Guru" of this chat thinks different and even is proud from her impoliteness, though I warned her from it), it is default/normal style human relation. But, anyway, I thank you above.

 

Secondly, facts, of course, remain constant, but info about facts can be significantly damaged during conveying. It is the most used trick in the world.

 

And last and main:

Your answer or is offical upwork answer, or is not such. In last case, I already wrote this, it is only some member's opinion and so shouldn't be suggested.

Or it is offical upwork answer, but I need it be confirmed as such. These are facts.

 

And I know what to do in both cases, do not worry, please. I need know to which one I am dealing with.


If a moderator has not yet appeared, it is because, he will really give you the same answers they have already given you (all who have answered you are freelancers like you)
Of course, if one of them appear, they'll give you an answer in a completely neutral and courteous way.

 

But, as you have already been told, there are NO more free connections and, even if you are offended, this is NOT going to change.
They will not give you connections to do you a personal favor.

 

I hope I have been sufficiently polite and courteous.

Thanks Maria T

As/ you and all previouse answerers are only freelancers and members of this chat, but not upwork staff, then I completely do not understand why you are answering now, when I am waiting answer from staff. I think you can share your opinion on something, but make declarations, take responsibility on answer you cannot. If so, then why to do it? IMHO is, sometimes, best position. I explained this already twice. Please, do not make me to repeat it third time.

 

Farther: there was time with free connections. Now is time without them. Who can 100% tell that they will not come again? I think, only God, not even stuff.

 

Thanks everybody  and don't worry, please. I have what to say stuff and what to do. I am waiting only them.

aocumen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zkutch, 

I'm sorry to learn that you did not see the announcements posted about the changes we have rolled out a few months ago to the Connects system. You can view FAQs about paid Connects and a video explaining the change from our Head of Product, here. You may also read the announcement post we shared here, and this help article for more information about this change.

 

Please know that only users with a Freelancer Plus membership will have Connects automatically credited to their accounts. Freelancers on the Basic plan will have to purchase connects if they find a need for more connects. 


~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks Avery O

 

The main thing is that I didn’t meet a warning about the termination of free connections before this chat, also I didn’t receive any automatic or semi-automatic warnings by mail.


If you can ask your system administrator or database administrator or other administrator to check which alerts are sent to my page. I am entering to upwork only from two different computers so if it is possible to check, it should be easy. For example, if I managed your page, I could check it.


Thus, I want to emphasize that in my case, it is significant that I was not warned.


Other sites practice, for example, mailing important messages. For example, just today, I received a warning from a pay-pal about changes in their service. I think it’s right to warn users of your site in this way.


I will be grateful if you find the opportunity to both - verify that I am telling the truth and find a solution to this issue.


zkutch z wrote:


I will be grateful if you find the opportunity to both - verify that I am telling the truth and find a solution to this issue.


If you are 'telling the truth'  is unimportant - the conditions have changed, you now have to buy connects simple.

 

The solution to this (non) issue - You now need to buy some connects. - (same as all of us)

 

 

I tell the truth, or a lie cannot be unimportant in this case.

I should have been warned - I was not warned.

It is impossible to cooperate when one side changes the rules of the game without even warning the other. Is it really hard to understand? For example, if we accept such an absurd assumption, then we can declare that we should pay already for this correspondence, for the air we breathe etc.


When I have an agreement with the other side, I should be warned about a change even unilaterally. This is not even a matter of ethics, if it is not important to you, but of jurisprudence.

I tell the truth, or a lie cannot be unimportant in this case.

I should have been warned - I was not warned.

 

It may be important to you, but it has no relevance to this - The new rules have been around for ages now and if you fail to read the info about them then that is your business. Even if they didnt inform you, Upwork is a business, they are free to charge what they like, when they like. If we as freelancers do not like the charges then we are free to close our accounts and work elsewhere - no one is forcing you to use the platform.

 

It is impossible to cooperate when one side changes the rules of the game without even warning the other. Is it really hard to understand? For example, if we accept such an absurd assumption, then we can declare that we should pay already for this correspondence, for the air we breathe etc.

 

NO - why would you pay for the air you breath? You have a god given right as a living being on earth to breath air - You do NOT have a right to free services from a business (upwork) 

 

 

When I have an agreement with the other side, I should be warned about a change even unilaterally. This is not even a matter of ethics, if it is not important to you, but of jurisprudence.

 

Indeed, You should be warned about changes, as thousands (or even millions) of freelancers use this site everyday, i for one saw plenty of warnings, and discussions about the changes. Maybe you are the only freelancer that didnt get any warnings. In that case Upwork should be very sorry - but it still changes nothing, you are going to need to purchase connects.

I see you did not understand what I wrote about the changing rules. I try say it again in different words: when you have a agreement and the other party changes it, it should at least warn you.


And lets back again to main thing:
I was not warned.
I am the only one or not  doesn’t change the fact that an act was unfair towards me and justice should be restored in my case. This has nothing to do with what rules existing now or will appear in the future.


zkutch z wrote:

I see you did not understand what I wrote about the changing rules. I try say it again in different words: when you have a agreement and the other party changes it, it should at least warn you.


And lets back again to main thing:
I was not warned.
I am the only one or not  doesn’t change the fact that an act was unfair towards me and justice should be restored in my case. This has nothing to do with what rules existing now or will appear in the future.


 

OK, 

 

I will assume you are the only freelancer Upwork somehow didnt warn in any way shape or form, they blocked the forum posts, help files, system messages ect. ect. from you

 

So, lets take a look......

 

You were not warned....

 

It was unfair.....

 

What justice do you expect???

 

You didn't see an announcement that was published over and over again - should upwork have sent a personal mesenger to every freelancer to warn them to keep up to date on new policies? 

 

You have had an apology from Upwork....

 

"Hi Zkutch, 

I'm sorry to learn that you did not see the announcements posted about the changes we have rolled out a few months ago to the Connects system. "

 

What more do you honestly expect?  Just drop it and buy some connects and get on with your life.

You agree with my innocence in the form of mockery and ridicule, give advices that nobody ask you, and also require me to explain what is justice? If even understanding justice you will be against it, why do you need my answers?

See for yourself - you consider it impossible from the side of the upwork to send personal warnings at the jast same time, as they agree with this. You read, only that which allows you to manipulate the truth.

Given the disrespectful form of your communication, I want to say that I do not need your thoughts in the future. Although, given even just the experience of communicating in this chat, you are unlikely to refrain from harsher statements. But, please, try it, more good, end the conversation.

You agree with my innocence in the form of mockery and ridicule, give advices that nobody ask you, and also require me to explain what is justice? If even understanding justice you will be against it, why do you need my answers?

 

I am not ridiculing you, i am offering the scenario that you say is true and asking what results YOU want from that.

YOU asked for advice - Lots of people gave it - YOU dont like the answer.

YOU said you think its unfair, im simply asking what you expect to be done about it? By answering your own statements maybe you can understand.

 

See for yourself - you consider it impossible from the side of the upwork to send personal warnings at the jast same time, as they agree with this. You read, only that which allows you to manipulate the truth.

I am not manipulating anything, i am simply trying to make you understand that no matter how you feel about the situation, the FACT is you now have to buy connects if you wish to bid on jobs - This is no manipulation, it is FACT.

 

Given the disrespectful form of your communication, I want to say that I do not need your thoughts in the future. Although, given even just the experience of communicating in this chat, you are unlikely to refrain from harsher statements. But, please, try it, more good, end the conversation.

 

I'm sorry if i come over as disrespectful that is not my intention. However, many freelancers and Upwork staff have tried saying the same thing and you seem unable or unwilling to understand the facts of the situation.

 

 

 

 

Ok, I can and accept your "sorry", maybe you did not control that your statements were mocking. Granted.

I will show you once, because in other places is same, how you are manipulating with sentences.

I take your paragraph:

 

"See for yourself - you consider it impossible from the side of the upwork to send personal warnings at the jast same time, as they agree with this. You read, only that which allows you to manipulate the truth.

I am not manipulating anything, i am simply trying to make you understand that no matter how you feel about the situation, the FACT is you now have to buy connects if you wish to bid on jobs - This is no manipulation, it is FACT"

 

I just pointed out to you the place where you declare your truth, completely ignoring the fact that the position of the upwork is the opposite of yours. What do you answer? That my feeling about situation doesn't matter. What does it have to do with it? I pointed out to you, that your sentence is "A" and the upwork posiotion is "not A". You transfer the conversation to another topic and say, that you are trying to explain to me that I will buy connections. You can at least explain to yourself, that this is not what I’m talking about, but that you contradict the upwork. I already wrote to others in this chat, that their concept of the situation can be far from something that understands the upwork staff.


Answer about connections I had almost immediately. Then I learned the opinions of those who overruled me. Next I needed contact with the staff and  got it. Private points of view are no longer interesting, since I get an official answer. Not to you, but to upwork I shall explain what I consider as justice if/when they ask about it.


Once again I write that I gave an example, that your opinion is wrong precisely from the point of view of the upwork and you are transferring the conversation to the fact, that now I need to buy connections. You do not understand or cannot admit your mistake or consciously transfer the conversation to another. Did you understand? This is a rhetorical question so, that you do not think again that I am asking you.

And then you pass as fact that is not a fact: I will buy or not buy connections, this is not a fact, this is your hypothesis. It become fact only after when/if I'll do it. Exactly this is manipulation.