🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: 0% fee 'Bring your own client'
Page options
alexandernovikov
Community Member

0% fee 'Bring your own client'

Just got that mail... that sounds like a great thing, and i will be sure to use it when i get a chance.

But what bugs me: how do you plan to deal with the people who would hire themselves to gain success score, opening fake accounts of clients? It will be so cheap to do so (just some foreign exchange commissions, or maybe not even that when using U.S. payment methods) that it will be tempting to do so. Won't we soon face a whole new brand of fakes?

What i suggest: don't include contracts with these 0% clients into JSS calculation, top rated/rising talent, and otherwise take means to make sure they don't help a profile stand out.

296 REPLIES 296
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Alexander, 

Thank you for the feedback, i will share it with our team. 
And about the first part when we discover someone had opened a client account so that he can boost up his freelancing score we take proper actions against them.
If you get suspicious of this activity please report them, and one of our team will have a closer look.

~ Goran
Upwork

I am a top rated freelancer. I would like to invite a client. Can you send me the link to that? ASAP

Hi Varun,

Our team will reach out to you soon with the link and detailed instructions on how to use it, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Ok, Goran. thank you for your reply. I want it as soon as possible. It is really urgent. 

Thankyou

Have a good day.

I'd like to bring my client in upwork too. Can I get the link through email asap please?

Hi Maricon,

Our team will send you the link over the next couple of days via ticket. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I am a top-rated freelancer. I would like to invite a client. How can I get the link to that?

Hi Youssef,

I'll go ahead and share your account information to the team so that they can get in touch with you with your personal link.

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hello, i'm a rising talent on upwork please give me link so that i invite my client with 0% comission.

Hi Khubbaib,

Our team will reach out to you soon with the link and instructions about the program, thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

I want to bring my client to Upwork. Please help me.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi MD. JAKIR,

Thank you for reaching out to us! I'll go ahead and share your account information with the team so that they can get in touch with you with your personal link.

~ Bojan
Upwork
makeitva
Community Member

Hello, I have just re-opened my account. I have a old client that is a copywriter on Upwork that would like for me to do a website, seo and online marketing. Can I bring the work into Upwork without a fee?
petra_r
Community Member

Diana E wrote:
Hello, I have just re-opened my account. I have a old client that is a copywriter on Upwork that would like for me to do a website, seo and online marketing. Can I bring the work into Upwork without a fee?

The 0% fee deal is only available to top rated freelancers and for bringing clients who were not previously on the site.

makeitva
Community Member

Gotcha thanks.

Hi I have a new client I would like to invite for 0% fees. Can you also please send me the link.

Thank you

Hi Jack,

Thanks for reaching out! We'll have the link sent to you over the next few days.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Ok thank you.

Hello,

I am also a top-rated freelancer and would like a link to bring my own client to the platform at 0% fees.

Thanks

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Juan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'll go ahead and share your account information with the team so that they can get in touch with you with your personal link and more information about the program.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi ! I am a top-rated freelancer too and would like a link to bring my own client to the platform at 0% fees. Could you please give me the link?

Hi Vladimir,

I can see that our team has already shared your link with you. Please refer to the details shared with you on your ticket with number 20598196. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran, 

Unfortunately no, that's the only message that I've found - "I just checked your client and unfortunately your client is signed up from 2015, long before this program was introduced."

Now I'm asking for a link for another client

Vladimir I wrote:

Now I'm asking for a link for another client

The link is exactly the same. It's specific to you, not to the client or "per occasion"

Sorry, nevermind, I've found it

petra_r
Community Member

@Alexander N wrote:

What i suggest: don't include contracts with these 0% clients into JSS calculation, top rated/rising talent, and otherwise take means to make sure they don't help a profile stand out.

Good idea....

khurram4m
Community Member

In my understanding the offer is already being given to select freelancers therefore I don't think there is going to be any misuse of this great option

However I do have a question for managment [ @Valeria K @Vladimir G ] I once brought a client who had created an account at upwork long ago but never actually hired anyone, it was me who conviced her to work with me here and since then she is regularly hiring here

Now the offer states that client must not have prior account, my suggestion is to kindly change it slightly that he/she has no previous hiring record 

Khurram, that makes a lot of sense IF Upwork can somehow insure it won't be abused by scammers and the providers who don't object to stopping to dubious and against ToS methods.

Hi Khurram,

Unfortunately, this discount only applies to any client you bring that is entirely new to Upwork. We can't honor the 0% service fee if they already have an existing account on Upwork.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Can you inform me how this can be done? I am new upwork member and I have company that wants to hire me, how can I make the invite so the 0% fee can be valid?

petra_r
Community Member

@Mishko G wrote:

Can you inform me how this can be done? I am new upwork member and I have company that wants to hire me, how can I make the invite so the 0% fee can be valid?

You can't - you need to be top rated and get an invitation with a special link for the client to use to sign up to Upwork.

In other words:

The client can NOT already have an Upwork account

AND

You need to be top rated

AND

You need the personal link.

mishkog
Community Member

Thanks Petra for you input, this forum looks a bit weird I did not saw your reply (frankly I did not even a notification that someone replied to my post)

tlsanders
Community Member

The important question in my mind about this otherwise great opportunity will play out is whether these clients will be explicitly exempted from the anti-circumvention policy.

I know that the policy refers to clients you "connected with" here, so I'm confident these clients would not fall within the definition if it came to a legal challenge, but a clear statement would be greatly preferred and would encourage me to bring outside clients to Upwork.

Hi Tiffany,

I can confirm that you can work both on Upwork and off with offline clients you bring to Upwork through the BYOC program, and this would not be considered a violation of our Terms of Service.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Very important point. I also asked myself this question - 'won't this lock me into working with this client through Upwork only forever?'

Hi Alexander,

Please see my reply to Tiffany above.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
mr-26
Community Member

Hi can you please let me know how can I get the specific link to invite my client on Upwork? How do I ask for a specific link? I am very much interested. Thank you!

Bilingual Spanish/German Translator with fluent French knowledge
nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Mariona,

You will receive a link to use to bring your own client on directly by email.

Thanks!

~Nina
tlsanders
Community Member

@Alexander N wrote:

This seems as if it would eliminate a key incentive for freelancers to bring their existing clients to Upwork.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths