cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How Can I get 0 commission for Inviting my own customer to Upwork ?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jan H Member Since: Sep 18, 2017
541 of 621

I've just started an agency. I am considering to invite my client of 10 years to Upwork. I understand that under the program I will pay zero percent in service fees. My question is how about the client, do they also pay zero percent? Your website states that they pay a 3% payment processing and admin fee:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/218375638-Client-Payment-Processing-Fees?flash_digest=6...

Why would my client accept to pay 3% extra on top of my already agreed contract fee, plus they have to sign up to a new system, learn how to post and hire on Upwork (which my first 2 agency clients have found difficult and complex, one is familiar with Upwork, the other is new to Upwork).

There seems to be little benefit to the client, they have to spend time to integrate with UpWork, then they are being asked to pay 3% on top as well? It doesn't really make sense....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
542 of 621

Jan H wrote:

My question is how about the client, do they also pay zero percent? Your website states that they pay a 3% payment processing and admin fee:

You've answered your own question, haven't you?

Jan H wrote:

It doesn't really make sense....

It's not compulsory. Bringing a client you've worked well with for 10 years outside Upwork indeed makes no sense. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
543 of 621

Petra R wrote:

Jan H wrote:

My question is how about the client, do they also pay zero percent? Your website states that they pay a 3% payment processing and admin fee:

You've answered your own question, haven't you?

Since I was asking about a special program where it says all fees are waived I didn't think it was unreasonable to clarify. Do you have to be so condescending?

Jan H wrote:

It doesn't really make sense....

It's not compulsory. Bringing a client you've worked well with for 10 years outside Upwork indeed makes no sense. 

Well actually I'm trying to build the reputation of my agency. Bringing in clients I've worked with before and will give me good reviews surely does make sense? If it makes no sense, then what is this special promotion for exactly?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
544 of 621

Jan H wrote:

Well actually I'm trying to build the reputation of my agency. Bringing in clients I've worked with before and will give me good reviews surely does make sense? If it makes no sense, then what is this special promotion for exactly?

Personally I would use it for clients who are in a different country and who I don't really know, purely for ease of payment and the layer of security (limited as it is.)

It had not occurred to me that people would use it to build feedback.

Jan H wrote:

I think it would have been better if the client pays nothing, but the freelancer's fees are reduced to 3% perhaps.

Why don't you just offer to reduce your rate by 3% for that client - that has exactly the same effect?

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
545 of 621

Hi Jan,

Thanks for reaching out to us. The fee that your client will be charged is 3% and there are no additional fees. Let us know if you have further questions.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
546 of 621

So what is the incentive for the client? Just a 3% tax? The freelancer takes all the benefits while the client is inconvenienced. Not sure this has been thought out that well. I think it would have been better if the client pays nothing, but the freelancer's fees are reduced to 3% perhaps.

Is there any official notice or blog post annoucement about this program? I've tried to find it online but couldn't get anything. I would be interested to read about how this was decided and the reasons behind the numbers. Thanks.

Highlighted
Oksana C Member Since: Feb 25, 2019
547 of 621

Does 0% commission still work?

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
548 of 621

Hi Oksana,

Bring Your Own Client program is currently only available for Top Rated and Rising Talent freelancers. If you are not meeting those requirements, you can still send a link to your profile to your client and they can sign up for an Upwork account and hire you for a contract. You'll be paying standard Service Fee.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ivan V Member Since: Jul 18, 2016
549 of 621

Hi!

I browsed through the entire thread, but there's no info (or I missed it) in regards of Top Rated Agencies.

How does this program work in regards to Agencies? I co-own a Top Rated Agency and I have a non-Top Rated freelancer on board who has a client he would like to bring to Upwork with the fee benefits. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Ivan

"It's never crowded along the extra mile."
Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
550 of 621

Hi Ivan,

Yes, the program is available for Top Rated agencies as well. I'll go ahead and share your account information with the team so that they can get in touch with you with your personal link.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS