🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: 1 Active candidacy
Page options
lismey
Community Member

1 Active candidacy

Hi to all,

In my profile I have 1 active candidacy since 20th October. It has been 4 days since we started discussing the project with the client, but he still does not accept my proposal and I have even done a test as proof of my skills. At this point, should i need to wait a little more?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, if he said that you had to do free work in order to be considered for the job, then you should use the "flag as inappropriate" link at the top-right hand side of the project page and report it.

Some clients do try to take advantage of new freelancers, so read everything about how this website works and come back to the forum if you have any suspicions.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Four days isn't long, and two of those days were a weekend. You can't force the client to hurry up and hire you, so waiting is the only option. But did you do this "test" for free? It's against the TOS for clients to ask for free work. Sometimes the test IS the job, so they'll just take it and run.

Good morning Christine,

Yes, it was free. Should I report him? I am new in Upwork and this is my second project.

Yes, if he said that you had to do free work in order to be considered for the job, then you should use the "flag as inappropriate" link at the top-right hand side of the project page and report it.

Some clients do try to take advantage of new freelancers, so read everything about how this website works and come back to the forum if you have any suspicions.

Hi! Good Day!

I have the same issue, 1 Active Candidacy. The client give a me a whole file to be revised and recreated in powerpoint presentation.  I thought he will send me a small file for test work, but he send me the whole file for recreation.  Likewise, I found out his status is 0% hire rate and payment unverified.

Please advise, will I still work on this?

Thank you

petra_r
Community Member

Ray Francis S wrote:

Please advise, will I still work on this?

Seriously? What do you think?

No, of course you should not! Ask the client to hire you on Upwork and verify their payment method, then you'll be very happy to work with them. You'll never hear from them again.

rfsinoro
Community Member

Thank you very much!

Im quite confused, I thought this will be my second project in Upwork. I am a newbie here and still not aware of the clients.

Again, thanks a lot for the advise

tlbp
Community Member

To all UW newcomers-

The Upwork Terms of Use are very clear (so please read carefully)-

"4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE:

Requesting or demanding free services, including requesting Freelancers to submit work as part of the proposal process for very little or no money or posting contests in which Freelancers submit work with no or very little pay, and only the winning submission is paid the full amount"

Do NOT provide free work.

Do NOT provide free "tests/trials/samples".

And if you do, do NOT expect to get paid/hired.

Providing free work-

1. Completely damages the entire platform (which is exactly why it's prohibited)

2. Directly harms your fellow FLs (especially in your specific niche)

3. Only encourages unscrupulous schemes from shady bottom-feeders. (of which there are many)

Work smart, work safe!

tlbp
Community Member

You don't have a gig until the client offers a contract and you accept it. Prior to that, if you do any work, you are doing it for free. Sorry.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths