🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: 1 BAD CLIENT DESTROYED MY PROFILE
Page options
khan81
Community Member

1 BAD CLIENT DESTROYED MY PROFILE

I started working with a Client a few months ago. Everything was going well and we ended up working thrice, she gave me a good review both the times we worked together. The third time we worked together, she started throwing more work at me without my consent. Milestone after milestone, I educated her that some of the work she's throwing at me cannot be done just in a matter of 2-3 days instead needs 15-20 working days. Then she wanted me to work on weekends when I had clearly mentioned before we started working on the first job together that I do not work on Weekends. She got agitated because of this and stopped communicating. She ended the Contract and left me bad private feedback which ruined my JSS. My question is how can I find more work with 68% JSS? Even after the second contract, my JSS fell like 10% I was confused as I had not done anything that would affect my JSS negatively but now I know she was leaving bad private feed backs and for no reason at all.

Note - before we started working together on our first job I had informed her that I keep my weekends to myself and do not work on weekends and she was okay with that. 

Why does Upwork even have the option of private feedback where a Client would just backstab the freelancer they're working with?

Why do I have no option to view what they wrote about me so that I can explain what happened to my future Clients? 

If this platform only cares about what the Client has to say about the freelancer, then I believe there is no reason left to work as a freelancer on this platform at all. 

repeated Clients with 5-star ratings and a 68% JSS 😂😂😂 Doesn't make any sense!!! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lizablau
Community Member

After I joined Upwork a few years ago, I accidentally closed a bunch of open contracts so my first Job Success Score was a rock-bottom 63%.  But I still landed a $2k job after writing a really strong proposal.  You have other good feedback that could help you stand out from the competition, and they'll see that, too. 

Plus, you don't have that many completed jobs, so it shouldn't take that long to raise your score.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Hi, Haseeb.

I hate to see stories such as yours. 

Upwork's client "feedback" system is inadequate in multiple ways, but allowing clients to ruin a freelancer's JSS because the freelancer says "No" to certain demands is one of its greatest inadequacies.

Be sure to leave a response to the client's public feedback. Keep it short and factual, and wait a couple of days to review it again after first writing it to make sure it says what you want to say. And have another person review it, too. They might catch something negative in your response that you don't see.

And don't be apologetic in your proposals to potential new clients. Focus on finding the matches for your skills and how you can help those clients. If your JSS comes up, just explain what happened in a concise and professional way. Some potential clients won't take a chance with you; others will. Just don't lower your standards for the type and quality of client you want to work for.

Good luck!

khan81
Community Member

Hi Will, 

The current Blockchain market is very bearish, There are hardly any jobs for full-stack blockchain developers at the moment and if there are any they want to pay less than $10 an hour 😂. Now my JSS is playing another very vital role in making sure that I don't find proper work on this platform... I mean who would hire a person with 68% JSS?

I wouldn't as a Client. They've got plenty of freelancers to choose from why would they choose a freelancer with 68% JSS? 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Haseeb,

Your only other option is to quit looking for work on Upwork. 

Upwork isn't going to do anything to help you repair your low JSS. 

Good luck!

lizablau
Community Member

After I joined Upwork a few years ago, I accidentally closed a bunch of open contracts so my first Job Success Score was a rock-bottom 63%.  But I still landed a $2k job after writing a really strong proposal.  You have other good feedback that could help you stand out from the competition, and they'll see that, too. 

Plus, you don't have that many completed jobs, so it shouldn't take that long to raise your score.  

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Why do I have no option to view what they wrote about me so that I can explain what happened to my future Clients? 

Because it's not written feedback, it's on a scale from 1 to 10. 

roberty1y
Community Member

You can recover from this. I've seen people with lower feedback and they got it back into the 90s in a few months. You need to pick clients carefully. Look at their hiring history (both their feedback to freelancers and vice versa) to make sure they don't look like trouble. Also, avoid clients who don't leave feedback. Your JSS will stay the same without it.

In addition to that, have your clients close any of your current contracts as soon as they're finished. That way you can boost your JSS without even finding new jobs.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths