Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$1 rate set by client

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
1 of 18

I was browsing the listings and noticed that some clients are still saying they are only paying $1 ph and I even saw a post for $2.50 ph.  is the $3 minimum only a suggestion of how much to pay a freelancer? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 18

The official word from way back when the minimum was established was that Upwork's interface would not allow clients to institute any hourly rate lower than $3.00 per hour.

Unless the client already had a working relationship with a contractor at less than that amount. If that's the case, then the earlier, lower rate can be "grandfathered in" and continued.

But for new contracts with previously unused contractors, there is not supposed to be any way to set up a contract for less than $3.00 per hour.

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 18

hi Preston, 

Well apparently one person slipped past because he (or she) is posting a new ad.. should I look for it and report it or just leave it alone? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 18

found the one I wrote about and it was posted 15 hours ago. the title for it is: 

Show Notes Writer $1/per hour

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 18

Report it - in view of the about-to-be new 18% fees on one-off jobs, what would be left after all the other little fees that **bleep** at the takings before the money actually gets into the bank?

[Edited to add: I cannot believe this. I used a phrase/analogy that is synonymous with little dogs biting at one's heels and I got 'bleeped'. Since when was this rude?  The phrase should read: after all the other little fees that get 'bitten off' at the takings - only it is not as neat - honestly!!)

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 18

i will, thanks for the advice! 

and 18%????? one off as in fixed price contracts? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 18

went to report it but there's no category that matches the situation. any suggestions? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
8 of 18

@Mariska P wrote:

went to report it but there's no category that matches the situation. any suggestions? 

Doesn't matter. Any category will do. That's hoping CS actually looks at flagged jobs... 

Highlighted
Cairenn R Member Since: Jun 25, 2015
9 of 18

I just saw an ad that actually threatened any freelancers applying that they will deliberately post bad reviews and not to "mess with them". 

Wow. (shaking my head)

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 18

wow. that's not right! 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS