Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$1 rate set by client

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
11 of 18

Mariska,

I opened a similar thread some time ago - Suzanne provided some examples as to when it is obviously OK (as in Upwork policy) to agree on less then the minimum wage.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Hourly-rate-of-0-60/m-p/77038#M32566

I recently saw a client's profile (US) who had been paying people $0.49 per hour - very recently.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 18

re: "had been paying people $0.49 per hour"

But with the incalculably valuable fringe benefit of having the opportunity to work for such a generous patron.

You forgot to factor that in.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
13 of 18

lol

Highlighted
Community Guru
14 of 18

re: "Well apparently one person slipped past because he (or she) is posting a new ad"

What you are seeing is an add in which the job title uses the words "$1/per hour".

Clients can put pretty much anything they want in a job title or job description.

This is different from Upwork allowing a client to establish a contract at $1.00 per hour.

If this client tries to create a contract with a new client who has not previously worked for them at a rate of $1.00, then they will be prevented from doing so.

$3.00 is the minimum rate for any hourly contract with newly used contractors, and this is enforced by the Client-side interface.

You, of course, are being optimistic in thinking that the client intends to pay $1.00 per hour of work, rather than the other possibility: Paying $1.00 per hour of audio transcribed, an hour of which might take two to four hours to perform, depending on one's efficiency and the complexity of the audio that needs to be transcribed.

You're very generous in your appraisal of this client.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 18

Hi Mariska,

I would like to confirm that the client will not be able to send a job offer for less than $3/hour to a freelacer, unless they worked together at a lower rate before.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 18

hi Valeria,

Ok, but if they did get one of their previous freelancers to work with them again, shouldn't they just contact that freelancer privately and ask if they could do set up another contract @ $1? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
17 of 18
re: "Ok, but if they did get one of their previous freelancers to work with them again, shouldn't they just contact that freelancer privately and ask if they could do set up another contract @ $1? "

LOL.
Marisa, you're talking about a person who thinks it's a good idea to offer $1/hr to do audio transcription. Presumably we are not talking about the most business savvy crayon in the box.
Highlighted
Community Guru
18 of 18

you are right preston... i have never done audio transciption but i wanted to try it. since you've told me that i will stick to what i know for the time being. 

he might not be the most business savy crayon in the box, or he might be in that he's looking to get his work done practically for free! my ex father in law was a multi millionaire corporate lawyer who work the same brown cordouroy suit jacket from the 70's into the 2000's and he said that you don't get rich by giving your money away. maybe this guy is using that same philosophy? Smiley Happy 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS