cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10% off of my freelance work upsets me AND my client!

babzward
Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
21 of 26

@Bojana D wrote:
Well since the thread's main problem's been resolved, let's move on to the next relevant issue.

@Barbara W wrote:

It's a miracle I haven't let out an F-bomb in the forums yet 

You literally **bleep**ing can't. See?

Lol. Let me rephrase that:

I have never cussed to a client (and would never cuss at a client), and I have yet to be bleeped.

- Barbara Herrera -
menikhildesai
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
22 of 26

Hi Barbara...

Once again, I will say that I never meant anything personal nor am I fighting someone else's battle....but time and again, the humor/ wit has trespassed into the sarcasm area and that is very scary for someone who is looking for answers or finding his way around.

You have a rich experience across platforms and have learnt the pros and cons of them all, kudos to you! Sometimes you have take things with a pinch of salt but if someone just pours the entire shaker on the dish.....then it leaves a bad taste.

Here's wishing Best of luck to the OP and you too!! 

Peace 🙂

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
23 of 26

When you signed up for Upwork you agreed to their terms. The sign up page has a link to Terms of Service in which you must tick the box you read them.

6.1 SERVICE FEE

When a Client pays a Freelancer, or when funds related to an Engagement are otherwise released to a Freelancer as required by the applicable Escrow Instructions, EEC will credit the Freelancer Escrow Account and then deduct and disburse to Upwork a 10% service fee that Upwork earns and Freelancer agrees to pay Upwork for creating, hosting, maintaining, and providing the Site and Site Services (the “Service Fee”). If Freelancer elects disbursement in foreign currency, EEC will add Upwork’s conversion fee of 1.5% to the spot rate quoted by its foreign exchange vendor and credit that amount to Upwork. Refer to the Upwork Payroll Agreement for applicable fees to use Upwork Payroll.

https://www.upwork.com/legal/

Upwork provides you with a place to connect with clients as well as keeps track of your earnings. So I am not sure why you think they are gouging you. Your client does not pay the fee, YOU do. It comes out of what you charged the client.

You can also deduct this at the end of the year from your taxes, so you are not being cheated. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
24 of 26

re: "when we already have to put aside 18% for taxes"

This has absolutely nothing to do with Upwork.

First of all, people work on Upwork from nearly every country in the world. People pay different taxes depending on where they live, how much they make, and how they file their taxes.

Lots of people pay more than 18%.

Many people pay far less than that.

Some countries or municipalities have no income tax at all, but gain tax revenue from other sources, such as a consumption tax.

Some people live in places which have a mix.

For example, there is zero state income tax in Texas, Florida, Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, Wyoming, but people in these states are subject to federal income tax.

Regardless of the amount of tax people pay or don't pay, Upwork didn't levy those taxes against people.

computerhxr
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
25 of 26

Lori, here's a trick to defeat Upwork!  Listen carefully...

Add 25% to your price.  That way you make the 10% back, and take another 15% from Upwork!  They won't see it coming!!

marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
26 of 26

Here's how you can avoid the 10% fee. Forget about Upwork (or Guru or Freelancer or Fiverr or any other freelancing platform, because they all charge their own service fees).

Get the names of companies you think you would like to work for and that might hire you.

Now find the email addresses of employees at the company to pitch to.

Write a pitch and send it to each of these people, knowing that there is a chance they will delete your email before even reading it.

If emails don't get you anywhere, join a professional organization for people in your profession, pay the membership fee and go to their conferences. While you're there, mingle and hand out your business card (you'll have to  pay to get business cards made up) and try to convince people to hire you. (I hope  you're good at small talk.) Make sure you look professional - no jeans here.

If you do find work, don't expect to get paid every week.  At the end of each month, submit an invoice and, if you're lucky, you'll get paid in 30 to 60 days.

The 10% fee doesn't sound so bad now, does it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS