🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: 19 days with no decision by client?
Page options
9c8f0515
Community Member

19 days with no decision by client?

I have 22 proposals submitted with some going back as far as Dec 1st.

How long does upwork give clients to make a decision? Some of these have 20-50 submissions each and still no decision by the client. Meanwhile, my connects for these jobs are being held hostage. 

Why is there not a limit on how long a client has to make a decision? Possibly even put the posting on hold or tell them to just recreate the job if they need at a later date.

I'm attaching a file showing one of these jobs. 50+ proposals, hasn't been viewed in 17 days. 0 inhterviewing, 0 invites sent. What the heck gives??

19 REPLIES 19
petra_r
Community Member

Chris B wrote:

How long does upwork give clients to make a decision?

30 days, then it closes automatically, but it's irrelevant because you don't get your connects back when a job post times out because of inactivity.

Chris B wrote:

What the heck gives??

You want to get into the habit of considering connects gone once you spent them and not dwell on them. The healthiest way to deal with it is to forget all about job posts you applied to unless and until a client contacts you back.

The healthiest way to deal with it is to forget all about job posts you applied to unless and until a client contacts you back.

Petra is right, and better yet, forget about it even if they contact you back hah... unless you have a contract, it's best to just put it out of your mind. More often than not clients consistently ghost even if they are interviewing someone, and either never hire or just go with someone else with no warning. I started to cut down on the time I'm willing to spend on interviewing (through calls at least, messages are faster) to about 15 to 20 mins, because I've had WAY too many calls go on for like an hour and then they don't follow through with anyone and disappear.

If someone does actually have the decency to let me know they went with someone else, I don't actually reply anyways. Even an extra sentence saying thank you is energy spent thinking about something that is no longer profitable to me, so it works both ways.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Chris B wrote:

I have 22 proposals submitted with some going back as far as Dec 1st.

How long does upwork give clients to make a decision? Some of these have 20-50 submissions each and still no decision by the client. Meanwhile, my connects for these jobs are being held hostage. 

Why is there not a limit on how long a client has to make a decision? Possibly even put the posting on hold or tell them to just recreate the job if they need at a later date.

I'm attaching a file showing one of these jobs. 50+ proposals, hasn't been viewed in 17 days. 0 inhterviewing, 0 invites sent. What the heck gives??

I know this is hard to swallow because you want a job and you want to get to work, but it's no different that a week ago when you complained about the same thing.  The reason why there's not a limit, other than the post expires after 30 days, is because it's complex why clients don't close jobs or didn't hire. You're paying to apply to the job, which you did. Your connects are gone. It's best to move forward, work on improving your profile and proposals so you can get a better response rate. What the screenshot says to me is that it's possible you aren't picking the right jobs to apply to. You need to get choosier about jobs. But also, I've had clients come back 6 months after I submitted my proposal to hire me. You can't force clients onto your timeline. 

Also, your profile still needs work. I know you don't want to listen to that or any of our suggestions to help you be successful, but don't you think it would be better to be getting jobs and making money than to be right and wasting money applying to jobs you won't get because your profile is not very good?

Amanda L wrote:

Also, your profile still needs work. I know you don't want to listen to that or any of our suggestions to help you be successful, but don't you think it would be better to be getting jobs and making money than to be right and wasting money applying to jobs you won't get because your profile is not very good?

Yeah.. in the fifteen minutes it took him to complain about this issue multiple times he could've written a much better intro paragraph than "here is what i can do, the end."

Does upwork hire "freelancers" to go on other freelancers posts and make comments like these? It seems like it. Either that or you all have a lot of free time on your hands. It's the same 2 or 3 of you always posting with really nothing but rudeness.

lysis10
Community Member

Chris B wrote:

Does upwork hire "freelancers" to go on other freelancers posts and make comments like these? It seems like it. Either that or you all have a lot of free time on your hands. It's the same 2 or 3 of you always posting with really nothing but rudeness.

I dunno about anyone else but my excuse is def too much free time. 

You can't keep using the profile as an excuse. Other people, in different categories, are complaining of the same thing. Nice try though. 

I'm just trying to offer upwork some advice. My full time job is management and improving efficiencies and making things better in general. It's what I do for a living. I'm offering upwork free advice to make their platform better. They can take it or leave it.

"What the screenshot says to me is that it's possible you aren't picking the right jobs to apply to"

Lol, huh? There are only so many jobs on upwork. If I was being too picky, I wouldn't apply to any of them. There's a reason this one job had 50+ proposals. C'mon man!

hannah_kaye_
Community Member

At the end of the day your connects aren't being held hostage, you spent them. Connects are also an inexpensive way of applying for a job. I mean if you think about it, say you were going for a job interview you'd probably spend more than what a bundle of connects costs on travel/stopping to have a coffee etc. 

Also, as everyone else has mentioned, you'd be more likely to win more contracts if you worked on your profile to attract clients. Rewriting the intro, for example, make your clients see your passionate about what you do rather than just a basic list what you do.

I'm not hte only person having this problem. Other people in other categories are complaining about the same thing. The "it must be your profile" argument can only go so far.

It comes down to how Upwork handles their clients and what they let them get away with. It's really that simple. 

Chris B wrote:

I'm not hte only person having this problem. Other people in other categories are complaining about the same thing. The "it must be your profile" argument can only go so far.]

Again, this is normal and happens to everyone, but the only people who actually waste their breath complaining are the freelancers who are unsuccessful. Which leads to the question, why are they unsuccessful when there are other people who have the same experience, such as myself, Christine, etc. who ARE successful. Which points either to the issues with your profile, the actual caliber of your work (I can't speak to this because I'm not qualified to evaluate that), or that you are writing crappy proposals (which I obviously can't see).

Whatever it is, as much of a perceived issue the whole connects thing may be, Upwork is not going to address it. So we are suggesting you spend your energy on things you CAN change instead of focusing on the negativity of the site, and you'll be better off for it.

Upwork demonstrates time and time again that the client is always the priority, not the freelancer. I learn to live with it because at the end of the day it doesn't affect my ability to create income thanks to the energy I expended on my profile, my proposal templates, and my actual work. When they send out requests for reviews / surveys, I fill them out as detailed as I can and bring up my concerns there.

Why not just update your profile?

I don't understand the need to be so stubborn, it should be obvious that 3 lines won't cut it. 

Well right now you're not a business consultant or an audio consultant for anyone, at least on Upwork. If you're trying to sell your services as a business/management consultant then your profile REALLY needs to be changed. 

We are trying to help you get work by fixing the things that actually matter in winning proposals. It doesn't matter if Upwork gave you infinite free connects, you still would land very little, if any, work with what you're currently presenting. We aren't being rude. We are trying to help you, despite how rude you are actually being in return. If I didn't want to help I wouldn't have said anything in the first place. 

Jamie F wrote:

I don't understand the need to be so stubborn, it should be obvious that 3 lines won't cut it. 

I dunno. I've had a look at his profile, and it is refreshingly on point. Could use a bit of trimming maybe, seems a bit too long. 

Martina P wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

I dunno. I've had a look at his profile, and it is refreshingly on point. Could use a bit of trimming maybe, seems a bit too long. 

Maybe he's onto something.
Perhaps I should change mine to:

"I can write blogs and articles
And other content
See samples below"

With a little more work, I could make it a Haiku. 

Jamie F wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

And other content
See samples below"

There's an old fable about Twyla Tharp applying for an NEA grant (back in the days when the NEA had money) and simply writing: I make dances. I don't write grants. Please send money. 

But then again, that's Twyla Tharp. I am not Twyla, and I don't think that will work for me. 

Amanda L wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

And other content
See samples below"

There's an old fable about Twyla Tharp applying for an NEA grant (back in the days when the NEA had money) and simply writing: I make dances. I don't write grants. Please send money. 

But then again, that's Twyla Tharp. I am not Twyla, and I don't think that will work for me. 

Amanda L wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

And other content
See samples below"

I'm sure the dancing part would!

Jamie F wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

And other content
See samples below"

I agree! There is so much poetry in not being successful on upwork!

Chris B wrote:

I'm not hte only person having this problem. Other people in other categories are complaining about the same thing. The "it must be your profile" argument can only go so far.

It comes down to how Upwork handles their clients and what they let them get away with. It's really that simple. 

The people complaining about this are not making money here. The people offering advice about profiles and insights about how the platform works are making money. Which segment of the UW talent pool do you want to belong to?

becobb1685
Community Member

I feel your pain.  Unfortunately its the nature of the beast. Currently, there seems to be no accountability put on to potential clients who do not respond to freelancers.  It is unfortunate but it also sounds like you need to be more critical of the jobs you propose to as well.  You have done a lot of proposals in a short period of time.  Try to avoid wasting your time on those that have no verified payment method at least.  I have found those are the biggest culprits on not actually hiring anyone. Might just be collecting data for their own purposes (it happens). I know you have been investing a lot of time and effort but you'll always receive more "No" than "Yes" in this game. Keep improving your proposals and hang in there!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members