cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Feature Requests from Elancer Making the Switch to UpWork

Nathan C Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
1 of 9

I got the email from Elance today saying they were going to wind down that platform eventually. 

So I came over to UpWork to see what I could find.

There are many things I like here, but there are two HUGE problems I have. I even asked the support guy and they said neither feature was currently available:

1. Search by location.

I NEED to be able to see where a potential client is located. I'm U.S. based and I only work with U.S. based clients. It's not that I don't like other countries. It's just that I've found it's much easier this way. I do better work. My clients are happier, etc. I do not want to have to waste time wading through listings from the UK or Australia or Canada. At present, I can't even see where someone is located, let alone narrow a search for listings from a particular country. This is hugely inefficient for me as now I have to put together proplsals blindly, not knowing if the potential client is even someone I want to work with. 

2. Sort search results by time posted.

Also regarding search, can I please be able to sort the results from the search field by the time they were listed. A job listing from 10 days ago is a waste of my time if there's a better one that was listed today.

Please, please, please, with whipped cream and a cherry on top, please bring in the ability to search by country and to sort the results by time posted. Both these features exist in Elance and I use them there extensively.

Nathan C Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
2 of 9

And of course I immediatly figure out how to do the "sort search results by time posted" thing.

Just 1 feature request then. The country thing is still a really big deal for me.

Thanks for listening!

Community Leader
Michael John M Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
3 of 9

Nathan you can sort the search result by date:

Sort by Date

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
4 of 9

Nathan,

Thanks for the feedback, our search options do not allow you to search clients by location. However, you are able to see their location on the Job Details page in the Client Info module. 

- Example:
PastedGraphic-4.png

-Lena
Untitled
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 9

Hi Nathan and welcome to the Upwork Community! I hope you like it here.

Thank you for sharing your feedback and suggestions, I will pass it along to the team.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Corey W Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
6 of 9

I also came from Elance and remember when they (recently) added the feature to search for jobs according to geographic area.  This is a MUST for me since I do not want to compete with areas of the world charging 10% of what I do.  Plus, I have some major advantages being located in South Florida that other people cannot compete with.

So, is there a way to search for jobs via geographic location of the client?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 9

Add my +1 to this too. I always filter by country too, and conversions are much higher for me. Also, it helps with communication. I prefer sticking with 1-3 hour time difference, so if the customer wants to chat, it's not a problem.

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
8 of 9

Location Search - This was a feature a year ago or more. It was removed, and even though many of us (myself included) have requested it to be returned, nothing has been done.

In addition, we have not received a straight answer as to why it was removed, or why it has not been re-instated.

In other words, I don't advise holding your breath for location filters.

Katherine V Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 9

You can manually search clients by location by typing "location (country)" on the job search box.

Yes, that includes the parentheses, but without the quotation marks. Man Tongue

The search results will give you job postings from clients from whatever name of country you put in between the parentheses.

Example search by location.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS