cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Jobs - Message boards down - Can't get in Touch w/Clients - advice?

Community Leader
Marianne M Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
1 of 8

HI All,

I accepted two invites this week. One never gave me the sheet to work on and the other has not given me the other materials I need.

I tried contacting the first one yesterday and for some reason the message would not go thru. Upwork Help told me they'd send a message for me saying the message boards were being worked on and out of commission at this time.

This morning they seem to be up again, but there was no sheet from this client to work on; so I sent a message asking if they were going to send the sheet as they want the work done by April 22 (tomorrow for me - they are in AU so it's is the 22nd there).

And after I accepted the other job the person never got back to me and I can't get a message thru to them.

I don't know what to do here. Upwork is really no help as that one client should have rec'd the message from Upwork and replied by now. And the other perons, well I don't what's up with them...???

I don't want to let these people down, they are very simple jobs that will take no more than 4 hours each to complete, but if they don't get back to me with the information I need to do the assignment, is that my fault and my rating will drop because of this?

Has this been happening to anyone else this week? I'm just not sure what to do except sit in front of my stupid computer all day and wait for a response that may or may not come. I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mari~~

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.”
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 8

Hi Marianne,

I have checked and your messages do show on the client's end so they should be able to view them. Unfortunately, the client hasn't replied to the message our support sent to them yet.

I hope the client replies to you soon.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Leader
3 of 8

Thank you for letting me know this. What are the consequences if the client(s) never get back to me on my end? Do you know?

Thanks,

Mari~~

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.”
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 8

Marianne,

It looks like Escrow has been funded for the active job. I think the client will get back to you eventually. If not, contract can be closed and money can be returned to the client if no work completed on the contract. Second job is still at the interview stage and is not an active contract.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Leader
5 of 8

Thank you so much for letting me know that...!

Mari~~

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 8

You don't have to inconvenience yourself if they are late to get back to you. Don't have to argue or anything.

When they send you what you need, you just say "Thanks. I will have this to you by x date." Don't have to mention they are late. Don't have to mention that the deadline will be missed. Nothing. Just tell them when you'll get it to them. Only if they try to pull the "but the deadline is..." on you do you have to push back. And really, I can't remember the last time this happened to me. 

I've had to push people back by a week because they didn't get back to me. Just move on to the next gig and if they say anything just tell them that you didn't hear from them, so you weren't sure if the project was moving forward and booked other work.

It'll be a cold day in satan's playground before someone makes me stay up late or sit around my computer just for them because they are late on something.

Community Leader
7 of 8

Excellent advice, thank you! So, I'll do just what you said: Don't mention the date and if they say anything else I'll just let them know I didn't know if the project was still in the works. So, I guess I'll go try and get some new gigs. Very helpful, thank again... Smiley Happy

Mari~~

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 8

Nope, don't mention anything bad. Let them push first, and it's doubtful they will. It's so rare for it to happen to me. They know they putzed around. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS