🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » 20% is highway robbery, especially on small c...
Page options
bfry1981
Community Member

20% is highway robbery, especially on small contracts. Make it 10%! That's still a lot for a fee!

20% is highway robbery, especially on small contracts. Make it 10%! That's still a lot for a fee!

3 REPLIES 3
kwtse
Community Member

I think the fees percentage should be in tiers, based on the size of the project as well. In my opinion, this would be reasonable:

Max 15% fees: I am a translator, I believe most agencies that I work with takes just 10-15% in fees; I don't see how Upwork does any better in bringing me quality clients, so I don't see how they justify the 20% fees).

10% fees for projects below USD $50: This is to encourage people to bid on smaller projects. I don't actually bid on smaller projects now (even before the $0.15 connects policy is implemented) because it does not justify the effort spent on client servicing for a measly 80% on anything lower than USD $50.  

If Upwork wants to encourage Freelancers to be more active, then instead pegging the service fee tiers based on the lifetime billing per client, it should be pegged to the engagement of the freelancers on the site (i.e. the fees they have contributed to the site already through service fees).

It should be a reward for service loyalty, instead of charging regular folks money for connects just to deter the bad seeds.

It's called positive reinforcement, look it up, Upwork! And stop penalizing freelancers for just doing our work!

Couldn't have said it better. I'm still mind blown that UpWork admitted they have a spam/low bid problem like Freelancer and their solution is "I know, let's make the good Freelancers pay to get rid of the thing we should be fixing! That will teach them."

richard_wein
Community Member

Brian F wrote:

20% is highway robbery

"20% of your money, or your life!"

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members