🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork app f- BUGGY, the auto time tracke...
Page options
firescue17
Community Member

2020-03-10 Desktop App Update

Thank you for removing the option to install the desktop app to a custom location. This change is another step towards achieving the apparent goal of making the app less user-friendly.

/sarcasm off

Quit messing with stuff no one asked for; especially, when all it does it make the platform WORSE!

28 REPLIES 28
firescue17
Community Member

+1 for breaking the auto-launch when restarting the computer.

Steven E. L wrote:

+1 for breaking the auto-launch when restarting the computer.

For the benefit of the Community:

Upwork Support wrote:

... if autostart was enabled in app, it remains enabled in the new app, but seems that autostart settings are wrong (pointing to the old location probably) and the app won't start with the system. Turning autostart off and on in the new app fixes the problem. Can you please confirm that it works for you too?

Toggling auto-start off and back on works to fix this broken version release.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Steven,

I'll be happy to send this information to the team for further investigation. We'll have a support ticket created for you shortly and escalated to the team that will look into this further. They'll reach out to you if further information is necessary. 

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Upwork
iaabraham
Community Member

So what the heck is going on with the latest update of the time tracker?? First it says there's an error connecting, and to check my connection (wi-fi is just fine), then I try again and it's just continuously loading?

Obviously I'm not the only one with this issue, as I've seen recent threads on the same topic. Please fix asap!

*Edited: I'd really rather avoid a support ticket, only to be told to clear my cache ... isn't this a widespread problem?

upwork desktop app error.pngupwork desktop app error 2.png

I can't seem to log in to the desktop app. It just says "One Moment Please" for over 30 minutes now. I reported the issue and I reinstalled the app. I can't log my hours and I need to work now. Any suggestions?

Hi Isabelle Anne and Ariana,

I've shared your posts about issues you're experiencing with the Desktop App with the team. However, in order to further investigate this, we'll need logs. If you're still experiencing those issues, could you please submit a ticket using the Support and Feedback option on the App. Even if you're not currently logged in, you should be able to access that option by right-clicking the icon. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Isabelle Anne and Ariana,

I've shared your posts about issues you're experiencing with the Desktop App with the team. However, in order to further investigate this, we'll need logs. If you're still experiencing those issues, could you please submit a ticket using the Support and Feedback option on the App. Even if you're not currently logged in, you should be able to access that option by right-clicking the icon. 

As you can see from the screenshots, I have no way to report the issue via the app. So should I just create a ticket then? I suppose this issue is serious enough for me to have to deal with CS. Is it possible for you to create the ticket so that they can see the issue is serious enough that a moderator opened it, and not ignore it / suggest I delete my cookies?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Isabelle Anne,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Our team will reach out to you regarding this issue directly via a support ticket and keep you updated.

We appreciate your patience while our team is working on fixing this issue.

~ Bojan
Upwork
iaabraham
Community Member

Ok so the support team asked me to uninstall then reinstall the app, and it seems to be working now. Thanks for the quick solution, but it would be even better if the tech/engineering team didn't create buggy updates so that its users would have to go through all this in the first place!

I can't log into Upwork Help and am hoping you will see this message. I  have followed all the instructions to upload Time Tracker but all it does is to upload Upwork. Where do I find what you refer to as the Upwork Desktop App? I used to have Time Tracker, but I trashed that when I uploaded according to your instructions to upload the time tracker app. 

Hi Penny,

You can download our Desktop app by following the instructions in this Help Article. If something is still confusing, feel free to follow up here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran I have followed these instructions over and over. What downloads is Upwork.dmg - and when I install - ie drag into applications, all I get is the Upwork app ... which has been there all the time. Where do I find Time Tracker?

I really am desperate!

Thanks

Penny

Hi Penny,

That is the correct process. Once you`ve installed the Desktop app, click on the Upwork app and it will be launched. Then you will need to log in with your username/email and password and once you`re logged in you will be able to select your hourly contracts and track your time. 
To learn more about tracking time with the Desktop app, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I get as far as selecting my hourly contract - but where is the On/Off toggle? That used to be in the Time Tracker window which doesn't show up anywhere.

Apologies if I am being dimwitted, but I used Time Tracker for years - but not since about 2018. And when I launched that it was still wanting to  link to Elance! I deleted it and Upwork - and reinstalled as per your instructions. 

What I am saying is that I only see the Upwork app ... the desktop app is different isn't it? So how do I launch the desktop app? All that shows up is the screen with the green Upwork app that must be dragged into Applications - on that screen. 

Hi Penny,

Could you please reach out to me via PM (click on my name) with screenshots from your end so that I can guide you accordingly? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hey guys need help ASAP as I'm working everyday an hourly

got this problem after the latest update of the Upwork tracker 5.3.3.871

my tracker said that "

THERE WAS A PROBLEM LOADING UPWORK
Please check your internet connection and restart the app."
even if I download directly from the website.. please help..

this is the error.. Never had this problem before eversince.. and I have a strong internet connection

Checking step 1...
Error:{"status":0,"statusText":"NetworkError","allResponseHeaders":[],"responseURL":"","response":"Failed to execute 'send' on 'XMLHttpRequest': Failed to load 'https://desktopapp.upwork.com/styles/main.css?_=1583883325987'."}
Checking step 2...
Error:{"status":0,"statusText":"NetworkError","allResponseHeaders":[],"responseURL":"","response":"Failed to execute 'send' on 'XMLHttpRequest': Failed to load 'https://desktopapp.upwork.com/scripts/main.js?_=1583883326027'."}
Checking step 3...
Error:{"status":0,"statusText":"NetworkError","allResponseHeaders":[],"responseURL":"","response":"Failed to execute 'send' on 'XMLHttpRequest': Failed to load 'https://desktopapp.upwork.com/scripts/app.js?_=1583883326028'."}

Hi Paul, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you further with your concern. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. 

~ Avery
Upwork

I was able to making work by removing and downgrading to an old build (5.2) I had downloaded in my history. I'll update once it's fixed.

For windows, I was able to find this build from October 2019, https://updates-desktopapp.upwork.com/binaries/v5_3_3_800_zh8y1qe7l33a9ip6/UpworkSetup64.exe
It may help, maybe you can disable internet conection temporarly until it opens it doesn't try to autoupdate, but I'm not sure how it works in windows.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Paul, 

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. Have you tried reinstalling the app to see if the issue persists? Also, I wanted to check if you are able to log in to the app?

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Avery,

Nope I can't, this is the only thing I get when trying to uninstall and install the tracker again, so I could not logged in.

thanks for the reply..

Untitled.png

Hi,

After last update to version 5.3.3.871 I can't login to my app.

So I had an automatic update today and debian client is not working any more. It just doesn't open.

I try to open it by console and it's throwing this error:

error.png

I reinstalled it downloading the last version (64-bit debian stable) and the issue remains.

I tried `apt install libstdc++6` but it didn't fix the issue.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ivan, 

I apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you. A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
firescue17
Community Member

The most recent Desktop App update was another fail. Simply accepting the auto-update (which is forced upon us) installs the program into a brand new location instead of updating and overwriting itself.

Furthermore, it still defies all logic why the entire program is installed to users/.../appdata instead of the Programs Folder. In.Ep.Ti.Tude.

Untitled.png

After I was asked to update to the latest version last week, wierd things happened.

First: I turned on autotracker, and it captured 1.50 something hours. When I checked Upwork, whatever autotracked was not captured.

Now, everytime I open the app, it says tracker in progress (even if it's off!). I try to turn it on, it does not allow me to do that!

Then, I tried logging out, I can't because app says it is still running (when it's not). I cannot even install an old version.

Upwork,  please fix your engineering/dev teams or have a testing environment or make sure your QA teams are checking these behaviours! I am lucky that client allows manual, BUT it is a pain and an obvious MONETARY loss for those not allowed manual time entries!

With Upwork's public offering, and millions of users+ customers (excluding Enterprise customers), you would think that Upwork can focus and have the money on making usability of the platform better, and faster!

Video capture is here:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

This is insane.

Hi Claudyl,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you and thank you for the detailed report. 
I`ve escalated this to our engineering team and one of our team members will reach out to you via ticket to assist you further as soon as possible. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths