🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » 25 copy typing scam jobs
Page options
renata101
Community Member

25 copy typing scam jobs

If you don't know what a scam job looks like, you might want to study these.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**
There are four more here:

8 REPLIES 8
6be56fe5
Community Member

Thank you for the heads up, as a beginner I teied to apply on this kind of offer. I was shocked because they were asking a payment/fee from me

Hi Mae,

I'm glad you were shocked because it means you didn't pay it!  But I am sorry that you have to sort through all these scam jobs. Most of the jobs that ask for typing from pdf to Word are scams (be particularly careful when you're looking at posts where the client has no hiring history).

Also, don't respond to posts that ask you to contact someone using Telegram, WhatsApp or Skype. Before you have a contract, you can only talk to clients using Upwork messaging and Upwork Zoom.
(the posts look like this:

If someone tells you that you need to talk to the hiring manager, run away.  And never start working without a contract (the client will send you an offer through Upwork and you need to accept it).

This is a good article for people who are new to Upwork.
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

It's better to do a bit of research before you start sending proposals.

I made the same mistake-- I thought I was so lucky when I saw how many typing jobs were available until one told me I need to pay a 'deposit' of $100-$1000 in order to get started... 

luce-neidert
Community Member

Renata, the plot thickens! One of the scammers you linked to managed to hire somebody and pay him $5.

His comment about the job done by the freelancer for $5  is very suspicious, though : "... is a fascinating individual and a tremendous developer. His level of commitment is astonishing. Professionalism is spectacular. He completed my project exactly as I wanted in a very short time. I will most certainly hire him for my upcoming projects." Must be a good friend! 

Some of the scammers are upping their game, going as far as verifying a payment method. 

Verified payment doesn't necessarily mean it's not a scam.

If you're searching for jobs, you can filter the posts to look at clients with and without hiring history. Then you can look at the jobs they've hired for. Sometimes that's helpful, but it looks like you need to be even more careful when you're screening jobs lately.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 10.00.54 AM.png

And all that for a few minutes of work!

I hope that upwork has implemented a reasonable threshold for "client that has already hired", probably something like $1000, I hope at least. Well, scammers will have to find out what that threshold is!

PradeepH

Hi Renata,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team to investigate and take action based on our internal processes. I do appreciate you taking the time to flag this to us. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members