🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: 2nd posting for same job
Page options
rcmcintosh
Community Member

2nd posting for same job

This morning I applied for a job and this evening I see the job reposted with a lower weekly retainer but with almost the same text description.  It is obviously the same job.  It seems that this client is wasting elancers time and connects which are not free.  There must be some check for this so that connects can be reclaimed for a client mistake.

Roy

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

13 REPLIES 13
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thank you for reporting this, Roy.

Our team will investigate the client further and will take proper actions. 

~ Goran
Upwork

So I have not heard anymore from you regarding this double posting. I am looking to get my connects refunded.
The guy messaged me in Upwork and asked for my WhatsApp which I gave him. He called and explained what he was doing which in my view was not what the job posting described. I responded that if he wanted me to work for him he would have to do it through Upwork. I have not heard from him since.
Please advise that Upwork is protecting freelancers and you are dining something for the high fees we all pay you.

Thanks
Roy McIntosh

Roy, it is against the ToS to give out contact information before a contract is in place. Upwork protects you by having a ToS and guidelines, and empowers you in the application process with information about the client and their history, so I suggest you brush up on how the system works. You were correct to inform him that all work had to go through Upwork, but you should not give out your phone number or other contact info to clients without a contract. You can be suspended or banned.

Thankyou for reminding me. But you have not answered my question about refunding the connects. I also hope that you say the same to clients that give their contact details for contact outside of Your platform.

wrote:
Thankyou for reminding me. But you have not answered my question about refunding the connects.

If you flag the job post as inappropriate pointing out that the client contacts freelancers outside Upwork and is a duplicate (*IF* the original is still there, not if the client has taken it down), the job post should be taken down for a policy violation, in whch case you get your connects back.

Having admitted to a policy violation yourself, however, could also have consequences.

I also hope that you say the same to clients that give their contact details for contact outside of Your platform.

Obviously Upwork also say it to clients... but that's neither here nor there.

I agree and for myself I will be more vigilant of the tos. However, when the job poster made a 2nd posting within a couple of hours I informed you but apart from sending me a mail saying you will look into it I have had no response. Please advise what your investigation came up with on this and let me know if my connects will be refunded.

Thanks and regards
Roy McIntosh

Roy M wrote:
However, when the job poster made a 2nd posting within a couple of hours I informed you 

Well, no, you didn't. This is a public user forum.

This is not "Customer Support"

Roy M wrote:
Please advise what your investigation came up with on this and let me know if my connects will be refunded.

Upwork will not tell you 'what their investigation came up with.'

If the client closed the first job post before posting the second, that would not be a policy violation. The WhatsUp thing would be, just as it is from you, but unrelated to the job post.

This was over a week ago. If the connects haven't come back by now, chances are they won't.

Roy M wrote:
I agree and for myself I will be more vigilant of the tos. However, when the job poster made a 2nd posting within a couple of hours I informed you but apart from sending me a mail saying you will look into it I have had no response. Please advise what your investigation came up with on this and let me know if my connects will be refunded.

Thanks and regards
Roy McIntosh

Clients are not allowed to post multiple identical job postings. Flag it (in the job posting) and forget. Why would you expect your connects to be refunded? Did you apply to both?

Martina wrote: Why would you expect your connects to be refunded? Did you apply to both?

Good point!

I can't even begin to imagine wasting so much time, effort and headspace over some connects.

This is not about wasting time on connects, its about making sure this platform polices it correctly so that I don’t waste my time, or connects, or have expectations that I might get some work!

Thanks for your positive feedback!!!

No I did not apply to both, I applied to the first one and then another one was posted a few hours later with a revised price. It was obviously the same job! Should I have applied to that as well and end up losing more connects?

I am also a little confused, see screen shot, if this is not the place to report such issues then can you advise where I should have reported it?

hanks for taking the time to help me with this.

Roy M wrote:
No I did not apply to both, I applied to the first one and then another one was posted a few hours later with a revised price. It was obviously the same job! Should I have applied to that as well and end up losing more connects?

I am also a little confused, see screen shot, if this is not the place to report such issues then can you advise where I should have reported it?

hanks for taking the time to help me with this.

There is absolutely nothing to report here. That's what the flagging function in the job posting is for. 

Roy M wrote:
Thankyou for reminding me. But you have not answered my question about refunding the connects. I also hope that you say the same to clients that give their contact details for contact outside of Your platform.

Sarah is not an upwork employee, and neither am I. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths