Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Inherent Biases of Upwork's Platform

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
11 of 15

Thanks for the reply Valeria, appreciated.

- Feedback is dollar weight but it has nothing to do with comparing you to other freelancers. It simply means that feedback for a job that you did and got paid for more contributes to your feedback more than a job you did and got paid for less. 

So Freelancer A get 5* for a $600 job and JS increases from 87% to 97%

Freelancer B gets 5* for 10 x $60 jobs and JS increases from 89% to 90%

Remind me again how this has nothing to do with comparing freelancer A to freelancer B? 

- Returning clients and long-term clients mean that their experience with a freelancer was so good that they want to continue working with this freelancer. We must encourage this. That being said, we understand that in some fields long-term and returning clients are not common. Therefore, not having long-term or returning clients does not count negatively for your Job Success score.

While this is true Freelance A gets + X% towards their JS score

While Freelancer B get + 0% towards their JS score

Once again Remind me again how this has nothing to do with comparing freelancer A to freelancer B? 

- Private feedback provides valuable information about freelancers' performance. There are certain things users are not willing to share publicly or unable to when no money was paid of the freelancer refunded everything. We turn this feedback into percentage and add to the Job Success score to let the freelancer know that there is room for improvement and help clients with hiring.

How about just changing the code ["feedback","isHidden":true], Upwork was the one that wrote it in the first place, it is not set in stone. Then there would be no refunding to get rid of public feedback. There is no need for private feedback. It is cowardly, abusive, and counterproductive.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
chadworth
Community Leader
Chad R Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
12 of 15

Oh. . . UpWork has this thing they call the Job Success score.  It is possible you (are incredibly terrified) may have heard of it

But it doesn't measure Job Success at all.  It is a poorly performing, ill-thought out metric.  This is not to say they didn't spend lots of time thinking about it, but they came to same conclusions as the Pope did when he clashed with Galileo.

Client Happiness better reflects the worth/accuracy of that metric.

setumonroe
Community Guru
13 of 15

So true Chad.

Well they didn't exactly hide that they meant Client Happiness.

Setu M. - Researcher   Research Assistant   Data Analyst - Freel... (05-20-2015 16.19.35).png

ggetner
Ace Contributor
Greg G Member Since: Jan 1, 2015
14 of 15

The only thing I don't agree with is your first point. Technically speaking 1 $600 job would seem to be to be more valuable than multiple smaller jobs. Monetary value is indicative of scarcity. Things that are scarce are by definition in demand, usually because the skill level or skill set is not widely posessed. Thus a larger job would be more valuable than many smaller jobs.

setumonroe
Community Guru
15 of 15
Greg,
A larger paying job could easily mean it requires a longer time to complete, not more skill; so your point is not necessarily true.

And I can guarantee you, that many $60 jobs I perform would set back a company 3 months if done poorly.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS