Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3+ years Hard Work of all my team does not worth a dime now

pt789676
Patty P Member Since: Apr 14, 2015
1 of 5

Hello Everyone,

My name is Patty , I been running an Agency on Upwork from past few years. I have 9000+ Hours with 4.95/5 rating on upwork in my agency.

Like every other member of this community, I worked quite hard and so does  all my Team memebrs to get these rating on Upwork.  Past three years we all have been working in U.S. Day time which means whole night as per my time zone. 

But with the New Rating System I learned the following:

1) All the Hard work me and my team  did to earn those rating does not means a dime now Man Sad

2) Upwork can and might change there new Job sucess score  system again after few years  and Then it  might also wouldn't worth a dime .

3)  It's hearts Man Sad a lot as a an Individual when I see my competeiors with less Rating then mine having a far better quality score. Though I wish them all the success, as I understand you guys also work as hard as you can.

4) Upwork Support People does not know much, not their fault though, how could they know more than Knowledge Base created by their Managers. 

5) Upwork don't have an expection build in or Told to their Support people. I build software some of the very complex ones and I know their are the expections for even  the best algorithm.

Guys please provide your comments on it, If you think I am wrong in my judgement , Feel free to point out. I

am very calm person who takes Feedbacks very postively and thinks about it and take corrective measaures.

Thanks

altheasagayno
Ace Contributor
Althea Maefe S Member Since: Nov 6, 2014
2 of 5

Though I may not be a fan of the Job Success rate UpWork has implemented, let me point out a few things:

"All the Hard work me and my team  did to earn those rating does not means a dime now"

- I don't think this is the case, JS also accounts for public and private feedback among other things, and though there is still a few things about this that I question,  it means that you and your team's hard work are not for naught. And an agency such as yours who has much success with all those hours and rating, I'm sure you know how to give quality work and quality work will always shine through. 

"Upwork can and might change there new Job sucess score  system again after few years"

- Yes, they might because they can, but we are freelancers, we have always worked differently from most people, and freelancing is a fast changing environment. At least that is how it is to me, I jump from one project to another and jump back in again to manage people and make sure goals are met. My point is, we should be versatile. Now I know these changes we've been having is too much, I get confused (and annoyed) trying to catch up. But as an agency owner, you are responsible not only to yourself but to your team and clients as well. I know this because I have a start up agency. Nothing much, not as great as yours, but when these things happen, I try my best to look at it and find out what as change and what I can do to adapt. Whatever I feel about comes in second because I would not want my team to panic if I say "All we did these past few years has been nothing."

kellogs
Catalin P Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
3 of 5

I am with Patty on all of the points.

People, you know how the old saying goes ? If it aint broken, dont fix it.

Talking about point 3) I have seen profiles with 0 hours logged and 100% success score. Which is quite tendentious as it presents my seasoned frelancer's profile on par with a newcomer's profile.

So how about reverting to the old well proven 5 rating system ? All it takes for a client to assess a freelancer is:

- a star rating

- number of hours logged

- account opening date

- money earned

Apparently these factos are more and more obscured by meaningless "top rated" and "job success" programs that no one digs, not to mention Patty's point 4) to which I can bring my case to the table as well. In short, you guys are actually unable to properly describe how this "job success" thing works.

Upwork did try to answer me how my job success changed without me doing anything but they could not do so. That support ticket was a miss...

Not to mention how sometimes I get notified on offers a day later, or how clients will not see who has applied to their jobs (as I have recently learned). Or how I have to waste 15 minutes in order to find a 2 months old conversation in the so well laid out new Messages interface. Or how the upwork desktop time logging software happilly appears to be tracking time on suspended contracts - with nothing showing up under work diary - instead of notifying us that the contract has been suspended and working on it is in vain.

All in all, you are making it harder and harder for work to get done through Upwork. Only now I realize how much better odesk was; it makes me wonder who is running the errands on upwork, is it twenty something year old grads ?

meture
Ace Contributor
Meg E. T Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
4 of 5

I take a bit of exception to your comments about the hours logged. Keep in mind that not all freelancers work hourly. Some of us work fixed rate and therefore our experience doesn't show related to hours worked.

monstersong
Community Leader
Patrick P Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
5 of 5

@Meg E. T wrote:

I take a bit of exception to your comments about the hours logged. Keep in mind that not all freelancers work hourly. Some of us work fixed rate and therefore our experience doesn't show related to hours worked.

Yep. I've put in hundreds of Elance/oDesk hours at this point, but I refuse to use the tracking software and stick with flat rates. Hence the fat 0 on my profile next to hours. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS