Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 38,000+ hours?

t-hall
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
1 of 49

I just came across a freelancer with more than 38,000 hours. How is that possible? That is 1583 days, 24hrs/day, non-stop.

inkmonkey
Ace Contributor
Fatima A Member Since: Sep 26, 2013
2 of 49

How long have they been here? oDesk did launch in 2003.

computerhxr
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
3 of 49

They just work so fast that it takes 8 hours a night for the computer to catch up.  Smiley LOL

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 49

That's how you make money when you only charge $3/hour.

menikhildesai
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
5 of 49

Sad...but true, Jennifer. 😞

Mine is $5/ hr, and I have clocked 3800+ hours in the last 20 months.... Something has to give

t-hall
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
6 of 49

Ok.. I checked the date of his first job and figured that if he never took a single day off work, he would have had to work an average of 15 hours per day.

15 hours per day, every day for 7 years.

He's actually worked another couple months plus some fixed rate jobs on top of that. So it's actually MORE than 15 hours per day...slightly.

creativedigit
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
7 of 49

Nikhil, why are you still charging $5/hr after 3,800+ hours of work? Raise your rate man! You'll lose some clients but you'll always find someone to hire you and compensate on you.

I don't know if that's good there where you are, but I can barely buy a sandwich for $5 here where I am!

menikhildesai
Community Guru
8 of 49

I hear you, Wassim.

I didn't change my rates since the time I was contracted by my existing client (who accounts for 90% of my hours billed). However, about two weeks ago I have increased my houly rate by a couple of dollars, for prospective clients. Lets see how it works out...

Also, considering that I stay in India, $5/ hr is a really good compensation. I worked in call centers since 2003 till 2011, and the maximum that I was paid was $2.5/ hr!! And to top it off, the work ethics would make Amazon look like Santa's workshop, at the North pole.  😄 😄

I need to evaluate myself and place my profile strategically, so as to attract decent long term clients and at the same time, not feel cheated/ exploited. I am not a native English speaker, but I am articulate with words, have a good thought process, and speak with a neutral accent. Combine that with my Technical know-how and typing skills, I can be a very handy employee.

Any suggestions are welcome 🙂

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 49

Nikhil... It is time you posted a new photo.

Your t-shirt makes you look cheap.

menikhildesai
Community Guru
10 of 49

I am on it, Preston. First thing tomorrow morning, when the ambient lighting is good....

(By the way, the tee in question is a 'Levis Strauss & Co'....Still not good? or is formals the way to go?)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS