Did you mean: 

Re: 38,000+ hours?

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
31 of 49

@Jesica L wrote:

Well is this is a Big issue? 

i think we need to mind our own business,  as you can see even we work a longer hour we still satisfied the clients, 

and i'm pretty sure in my 35k $ earning a year, only  200$ has been refund and no client hours has been dispute. and the manual time is not take more than 10 hours out of 17200 hours. 

while i see the others, they say they work only  a little but still did not satisfied the clients with poor JS. 

always keep saying that those hours are doesnt matter ' but i would like to remind 

every freelancer have different job

every client  set a different time for each freelancer

and every clients sets a different standard.

every freelancer have a different social life. (you go party  while the other freelancer are busy to their work)

every frree lancer have different life, don't compare the timeline for each other. 

every freelancer have different ability, skills and needs.

and just because you can only work 8 -12 hours a day, you wanted  the other freelancer work on that too.

PS.  Some of clients are very happy when freelancer work for longer hours, they appreciate the honest hardwork.

While the some fellow freelancer keep getting un happy because their fellow frelancer found a Good and happy client.

I am curious if you have a life with the hours you have?

It looks like you have worked a bit over 3 years on Upwork. annd the hours you mentioned in the post above look like they are comparable to your hours.

You look from your picture to be young (and when I was younger I worked more) but I also had a social life. I would assume you have some kind of life besides work.

How do  you find time to do anything working the amount of hours you do? 

I don't think anyone was putting someone down for hard work, most people want to know how someone could work that amount of hours for that long without being burnt out.

I don't know anyone who could work 15 hours or more a day 7 days a week 3 years or more straight without  a break. So I guess some of the questions are expected from people.

And you getting upset doesn't make sense when the thread was just asking how someone could work that many hours.

I would like to know how someone could because I eat, sleep, have a life. I have a farm so some of my hours don't show on my work here, but I put in another 3 -5 hours a day feeding animals, doing chores etc.

I still cannot work 14 hours a day without being burnt out at some time.

jesica-lozande
Jesica L Member Since: Apr 9, 2012
32 of 49

well, as i said

were all different,. mind , body, brain and client,

that is why we called "Freelancer" we can work as long as we want as long as we can. also we have a different nature of work. just sitting down the whole day and waiting for lottery result makes you tired?

If i work 15 hours a day 7 days a week, its up to me,  

does my working hours really affect your working performance?  if i get tired  working  for 15 hours a day. does your client mad at you because i am tired? does my working 15 hours a day really affect in your JS score?

well if it is not. maybe  mind our own.

i forgot, the last time i work 30 hours a week., my client got mad , because they wanted me to work 60 hours a week( for 1 client only ),  maybe you can ask my client not to give me so much work so that i will not work a longer hours,

suznee
Community Guru
33 of 49

You are taking the questions way to personally. It is rude you keep telling people to mind their own business. This is a forum. We can discuss whatever is appropriate as long as we don't break the rules.

You shouldn't worry to much either what other people think of you working as much as you do, unless you really do have something to worry about.

I ask what I did out of curiousity. No reason to get upset. I really did want to know how someone as young as you are could go on 9 hours or less a day sleeping, eatting, going to the bathroom, shopping for food to eat, and maybe having some social time to do something else, because I think it quite amazing.

I don't know anyone in my life that could work that much and admire someone who would give up having a social life and anything else to work. As I sure couldn't do it, but making money never meant that much to me that I had to work that much so I guess I don't understand the mindset and would like to understand it better.

jesica-lozande
34 of 49

anyway, upwork can decide whether its good or not for having a long hours work,

hi Upwork/mod , does  working too much a day like 15 hours a day is against the policy? if yes , i will let my client know so that they can reduce my time,

thank you

suznee
Community Guru
35 of 49

@Jesica L wrote:

anyway, upwork can decide whether its good or not for having a long hours work,

hi Upwork/mod , does  working too much a day like 15 hours a day is against the policy? if yes , i will let my client know so that they can reduce my time,

thank you

Jesica,

No one is saying it is against the rules, please don't take what is being said and ask so personally. 

noirre
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
36 of 49

"i forgot, the last time i work 30 hours a week., my client got mad , because they wanted me to work 60 hours a week( for 1 client only ),  maybe you can ask my client not to give me so much work so that i will not work a longer hours,"

Or you could tell them youself that you do not work over a certain amount of hours a week, and if they still insist on those hours, you could tell them "thank you but no thank you" and move on to another client. Seeing the abundance of good reviews you've had, surely it would not be that hard to find a new client with reasonable demands?

These ridiculous job postins with outrageous demands for teeny tiny pay will keep popping up as long as there are people willing to take them on. If all the reputable freelancers told the client no, I am not happy with that pay / weekly hours / other silly requirment and I will not work for you if you insist on it, then they would have no choice but to either become reasonable or to do the job themselves.

noirre
Community Guru
37 of 49

@Jessica,

if your profile stands true, you have accumulated 17200 hours from April 2012. You also have 40+ fixed price projects under your belt. If we assume you started working on your first project on UpWork on 1st of April 2012, the math would go something like this:

August 20 2015 - April 1 2015 = 142 days 

3 x 365 + 142 + 1 (for the leap year of 2014) = 1238 days.

17256 / 1238 = 13,9386

Plus the time you've spent on the fixed price contracts.

I don't think anyone here wants to say that you can't work more than they do. But you have to understand that if this is truly how you've worked for almost 3,5 years - about 14 hours a day, every day - then to most of us, that is ridiculous, as it would violate an incredible amount of work time policies that are in effect in our countries. Now, freelancers of course may or may not adhere to these policies since they are their own bosses, but I sincerely doubt many of us would push ourselves to that extent other than maybe occasionally for short period of time - if a project needed it to meet a deadline, for an example. But not day in an day out. And what on earth have you done when you've fallen ill, for example? And have you truly had no social life for the whole time, no family engagement you couldn't miss? Most of us do, so it's a bit hard to digest.

Bearing all that in mind, to most contractors here that end up with these math results after looking at profiles like yours, it seems more likely that the hours you logged in have been heavily exadurated, or that you have billed several clients for the same time, probably to make up for the low hourly rate you've bid (less than 3$ in some of your old contracts). This of course will seem completely unfair to anyone who has ever lost a bidding war against someone who has bid lower than them, because people that exadurate their hours in hourly contracts effectively flush their bid rate down the toilet and hoodwink the client into thinking that they got a bargain, when in reality the client may be paying way more s/he thinks in terms of extra hours. 

None of this has anything to do with the actual job performance of the contractor. The clients may very well be completely satisfied with the results from freelancers like these, and that's great for the client and all. But to the rest of us, it distorts competition, so of course it makes us a bit peed off.

This is not meant as an accusation, but an explanation of the outrage. 

jesica-lozande
38 of 49

then, what do you wanted me to do?

stop working, and sleep and party overnight  and work for only  8 hours a day ? just to  meet your taste.. 

do i need to stop working?  

noirre
Community Guru
39 of 49

Considering that most of the people I know have a 9 - 5 job (40 hours a week) and they do just fine, it just makes us wonder why you have to work so hard to make a living. Woman Happy

jesica-lozande
40 of 49

Only my clients know the real reason why i work so hard. also my fix rate contracts are all done less than 24 hours, and they paid me within a day.  also if you notice, i work only in my specialized skill and only in Amazon related task, no other. 

Also if you read their feedback.  i think they are fully satisfied, and many of those clients are all recommendation and i did not apply  for those job,. its client recommendation from friends of friends from 1 Amazon Group of sellers.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS